Best James Bond spoofs

2»

Comments

There's the Charles Vine trilogy of movies starring Tom Adams: Licensed to Kill (The Second Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World) 1962; Where the Bullets Fly (1966); O.K. Yevtushenko (1968). Not great films but they have their charm.

• hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    I don't know if this counts as a spoof Johnny English ( 1 & 2 ) and welcome to Japan Mr Bond.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I don't know if this counts as a spoof Johnny English ( 1 & 2 )

Do you understand the meaning of the word spoof? Christ your posts are inane.
    There are many Bond spoofs from the 60s at the hight of Bond mania that were produced throughout Europe. Many don't realize that the 0SS 117 series was actually based on an actual serious French book series that was turned into a film series that was actually serious as well (if humor was to be found it was probably unintentional). Though when they decided to modernize it, they chose to spoof the Bond and other Eurospy films.

Goldginger was an Italian spoof on the Bond series, which starred Euro-cult actor George Hilton as James Bond:

Another Bond spoof that hasn't been mentioned is Mad Mission 3: Our Man From Bond Street, which was a Hong Kong production that has a very "A View To A Kill" type scene at the Eiffel Tower one year before AVTAK came out!

• edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Jarrod wrote:
    There are many Bond spoofs from the 60s at the hight of Bond mania that were produced throughout Europe. Many don't realize that the 0SS 117 series was actually based on an actual serious French book series that was turned into a film series that was actually serious as well (if humor was to be found it was probably unintentional).

Hm, there are so many OSS 117 movies in the '60s I don't know which one you refer to. But in the four Andre Hunebelle ones (the only ones who are still relatively known now in France, IMO), the humour is definitely intentional. Well, at least on the one I remember most which is :

"Your name is Consuela Moroni"
    "How do you know ?"
    "I guessed it."

"Do you like children ?"
    "Yes, when their mother is pretty"

"What is it ?"
    "Mexican champaign, sir"
    "And what kind of whisky do you have ?"
    "Portuguese scotch, sir"
    "We'll take two Brazilian vodkas, then"

Etc..

But alas these movies are nowhere near Bond or Fantomas (the other movies Andre Hunebelle directed at that time, which are on full humour mode). They're far from being complete failures too.

The only "serious ones" may be the first two, which I haven't seen. Here's an excerpt from the 1956 one I found, it didn't age well :

My point was that the series was not an all out comedy, like the new one is. Also, I'm familiar with the english dub versions of the original Andre Hunebelle/ OSS 117 series that were on PAL VHS, and those definitely have moments of unintentional humor. Still, I love the original series with Kerwin Mathews/ Frederick Stafford/ John Gavin.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Jarrod wrote:
    Also, I'm familiar with the english dub versions of the original Andre Hunebelle/ OSS 117 series that were on PAL VHS, and those definitely have moments of unintentional humor.

Well I won't start a debate on OSS117 movies I've mostly forgotten, but Andre Hunebelle is a director of comedies and action/comedy movies, some are slapstick, but some are more subtle. OTT behaviour in OSS117 may not be unintentional once you realise within the same years you find a lot of the team doing also :

fantomas.jpg

Title : "Fantomas se déchaîne" (something like "Fantomas goes wild"). A few years after "OSS117 se déchaîne" !

Which is also a kind of spoof of Bond to some extent (flying cars to escape a chase etc)

Unlike the early Bond films, the early spoofs do not stand the test of time. The more homages to Bond and spoofs of, the more you you realize how unique the Bond series is.
    Tribute to or spoof of, nothing really works as a Bond film. The Bourne series, which I mostly enjoy, lacks a central character with the wit and style of Bond.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The best and most effective Bond spoof was Diamonds Are Forever. Think about it- did you laugh as much in either Flint movie???
  • chrisisall wrote:
    The best and most effective Bond spoof was Diamonds Are Forever. Think about it- did you laugh as much in either Flint movie???

Agreed. In fact in one of my fav movies of the series thanks to its comedic value, outrageous plot and general werdness.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote:

Agreed. In fact in one of my fav movies of the series thanks to its comedic value, outrageous plot and general werdness.
    I love DAF, not strictly as a Bond movie, but as a Bondian movie.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Well, I couldn't find a better topic.
    Jean Dujardin has announced he's working on a new Brice de Nice movie, and added very clearly he was ready to do a third OSS 117, hinting others were too. Rumor has it that the pitch is about OSS 117 in the 70s in Africa, and even that he would accept his bisexuality this time :) But this latter rumor was *before* the Skyfall line !
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    There was an episode of The Comic Strip Presents called 'Space Virgins from Planet Sex' that had a Bond spoof featuring Peter Richardson as a 'Sean Connery' James Bomb..!

He drove the silver DB5 and Robbie Coltrane was an M like character.

The only bit i remember is Bomb shooting a female love interest when she calls his car a "dick extension..!"
    Just saw this NTTD spoof from Britbox