Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

RC7RC7
edited February 2019 in General Movies & TV Posts: 10,512
For those who haven't heard of/read any of 'The Secret Service' - it's a Mark Millar/Dave Gibbons comic book that borrows heavily (some might say wholesale) from Bond lore. To give an example the opening scene is a rip-off of TSWLM intro, albeit with a twist and a very funny twist at that. It concerns a Bond-esque character who recruits his down and out nephew to join the service. His nephew is a street kid who lives in Peckham (from memory) with a mother, his siblings and her abusive partner. It's typical Millar fare that was co-created with Matthew Vaughn, whom it now looks likely will direct it.

Now, I raise the question for a few reasons.

1. The comic is so heavily influenced by Bond that huge comparisons can be drawn, particularly visually.
2. It has the ability to undermine Bond as it is not an out and out p*ss take ala Powers - despite it having Moore-esque outrageousness.
3. Vaughn is down to direct - a name that has cropped up numerous times re.Bond. He'll add a certain weight to the style of this film, think 21st century Roger Moore Bond.

While all this is theoretical I just wondered what other opinions people have. Both those who have and haven't read it. Does it really have the potential to carve into the Bondiverse? Will all the Craig haters come out of the shadows with the promise of a Spy film involving amphibious vehicles and epic villains lairs?

Here's a brief article outlining why Vaughn quit X-Men to do The Secret Service....

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=69757

Comments

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Well that sounds awesome but I'm not sure if it'll affect Bond.

Definetly on my watch list though, sounds great.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,687
    I don't know, sounds like it'll either be epic, or epically meh. It will depend upon the quality of the movie, editing, score etc. Ford's Jack Ryan was the last spy movie stuff that even began to touch Bond IMO. The Bourne movies were cool, but not in that 'I have to own them' way. This could be a good franchise if handled (and cast) correctly. And if it IS good, it would certainly have at least SOME influence on the next Bond movies.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Reading the comments on that article is hilarious. It's full of pissed off fanboys who were desperate for him to do X Men. I'm more disappointed he's not doing Kick Ass 2 myself, but this sounds fun.
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ford's Jack Ryan was the last spy movie stuff that even began to touch Bond IMO. The Bourne movies were cool, but not in that 'I have to own them' way.

I was thinking more in the Austin Powers vein. Powers meant they had to go back to basics. I don't think this will do the same but rather than provide competition I wondered if it might undermine what they can and can't do with Bond. Particularly if they do go slightly more 'classic' with 24.

RC7 wrote:
    Particularly if they do go slightly more 'classic' with 24.
    By 'classic' do you mean over the top comic book like TSWLM?
    chrisisall wrote:
    I don't know, sounds like it'll either be epic, or epically meh. It will depend upon the quality of the movie, editing, score etc. Ford's Jack Ryan was the last spy movie stuff that even began to touch Bond IMO. The Bourne movies were cool, but not in that 'I have to own them' way. This could be a good franchise if handled (and cast) correctly. And if it IS good, it would certainly have at least SOME influence on the next Bond movies.

Mission: Impossible?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Bond 24 will be called Mission Impossible Spy Protocol.
  • oo7oo7
    will a cup of water effect the rain
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Particularly if they do go slightly more 'classic' with 24.
    By 'classic' do you mean over the top comic book like TSWLM?

Not really. I don't think they will skew it that far, possibly a bit more formulaic though. Incorporating devices synonymous with what you'd call classic Bond. Basically 'The Secret Service' takes a lot of these devices and subverts them. AP led in someway to CR and both are wildly different visually and narratively. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of 'The Secret Service' being made at a level similar to that of the current crop of Bond films - but with more of an emphasis on the outrageous. I just wonder whether it will inform where they go with 24.

@oo7 - thanks for that nugget.
  • Eon have followed trends rather than setting them since LALD so who knows.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Funny, I think of those as action films with a very thin veneer of 'spy'.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    The movie should be released on 14/11/14, starting shooting this summer. I'm not sure it's not taken into account by Eon, the PTS may be very Bondesque according to most of the audience... Would they dare to cast Brosnan for this scene :) (Brosnan appears later in the comics) Colin Firth is casted for the main role (not appearing in the PTS)

the-secret-service-photo-5154283798563.jpg
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Maybe but who knows. I said the same thing about The Bourne Legacy and Skyfall and look how that turned out. The chances are this film won't come anywhere near to Bond.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/416/the-bourne-legacys-impact-on-skyfall

I think it's more likely the already released Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol has an effect on the direction of the next film, just as many say Batman did with Skyfall.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Interesting - thanks for keeping us all informed @RC7.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Contrary to the Bourne franchise who somehow wanted to be a serious franchise away from Bond, The Secret Service is full of scenes that are meant to bring Roger Moore's Bond in today's world (with Mark Millar gore in the mix)
    Contrary to the Bourne franchise who somehow wanted to be a serious franchise away from Bond, The Secret Service is full of scenes that are meant to bring Roger Moore's Bond in today's world (with Mark Millar gore in the mix)

Gore and Roger Moore - what a combination! Plus, I think that Daniel Craig's Bond is safe from all imitators.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    chrisisall wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Funny, I think of those as action films with a very thin veneer of 'spy'.

To be fair the same could be said of most of the Bond films.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Btw, M. Vaughn said The Secret Service was rushed into production very fast because other projects with a similar "Bond meets Generation Y" approach were being pitched in Hollywood. With some hindsight, he was probably talking about the Sacha Baron Cohen Bond movie, which has disappeared from the radars for quite some months now !
    Btw, M. Vaughn said The Secret Service was rushed into production very fast because other projects with a similar "Bond meets Generation Y" approach were being pitched in Hollywood. With some hindsight, he was probably talking about the Sacha Baron Cohen Bond movie, which has disappeared from the radars for quite some months now !

It must have as this is the first I've ever heard of it!
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    It was announced in August 2012. At that time I was avoiding this site because of spoilers everywhere posted by some people who read the script of Skyfall and then had some powers of disturbance for the first time in their life possibly [they have since disappeared :)]

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sacha-baron-cohen-james-bond-spoof-paramount-358635
    It was announced in August 2012. At that time I was avoiding this site because of spoilers everywhere posted by some people who read the script of Skyfall and then had some powers of disturbance for the first time in their life possibly [they have since disappeared :)]

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sacha-baron-cohen-james-bond-spoof-paramount-358635

Thanks for the link. I only joined here in December 2012!
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,333
    "All the cast is done. Michael Caine is the head of this spy organization," says Vaughn. Looks like he also has his lead in newcomer Taron Egerton who will be playing Gary, a working-class British kid who gets pulled into his Uncle's cloak-and-dagger world. The young actor's most significant role, to date, has been a guest spot on the ITV series, LEWIS. However, the Variety article mentions that the villain and female lead have yet to be cast. For the love interest, Vaughn's eyeballing Emma Watson or DARK SHADOWS' Bella Heathcote, with the villain role to hopefully go to a big name on the level of Tom Cruise or Leo DiCaprio, who've already passed on their offers.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this shapes up, along with The Man from UNCLE, which both help fill the enormous gap left by Bond 24 not coming out for a while.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/matthew-vaughn-eyes-newcomer-taron-egerton-for-secret-service-exclusive-1200568145/
  • RC7RC7
    Decent casting visually. He'll look vert much like the Gary of the comics. I wonder if Vaughn will be able to convince Brosnan to cameo?
    bondsum wrote:
    "All the cast is done. Michael Caine is the head of this spy organization," says Vaughn. Looks like he also has his lead in newcomer Taron Egerton who will be playing Gary, a working-class British kid who gets pulled into his Uncle's cloak-and-dagger world. The young actor's most significant role, to date, has been a guest spot on the ITV series, LEWIS. However, the Variety article mentions that the villain and female lead have yet to be cast. For the love interest, Vaughn's eyeballing Emma Watson or DARK SHADOWS' Bella Heathcote, with the villain role to hopefully go to a big name on the level of Tom Cruise or Leo DiCaprio, who've already passed on their offers.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this shapes up, along with The Man from UNCLE, which both help fill the enormous gap left by Bond 24 not coming out for a while.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/matthew-vaughn-eyes-newcomer-taron-egerton-for-secret-service-exclusive-1200568145/

Will certainly go and see both of these movies when released? That's for sure! B-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The film will now be released on 6th March 2015, four months later than we first thought.
    As long as Bond never returns to the Moore-era style of films I'll be quite happy whatever rival spy franchises are released.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2014 Posts: 11,139
    ‏Some great reactions from the footage they showed at CinemaCon:

@colliderfrosty 1m
    Colin Firth kicked so much ass in SECRET SERVICE it was crazy. Liam Neeson better watch his back. You will be floored by the footage.

Ben Fritz ‏@benfritz 3m
    Biggest surprise at Fox Cinema-Con presentation was the Secret Service footage. Very unusual tone

Chris Sylvia ‏@sylvioso 6m
    Colin Firth in Secret Service was the knock-out punch of #Cinemacon

Steven Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty 10m
    Saw first footage from SECRET SERVICE. Looks ****ing amazing. We saw an action scene that used slow and fast motion in a brilliant new way

Alex Billington ‏@firstshowing 17m
    Whattt Matthew Vaughn's Secret Service looks awesome! Badass fights, fun comedy, like Men in Black meets James Bond or something. #CinemaCon

Mystery Devin Faraci ‏@devincf 17m
    First footage from SECRET SERVICE: great! Matthew Vaughn operating at his best with broad/fun action.

Pamela McClintock ‏@PamelaDayM 17m
    First footage of Matthew Vaughn's 'Secret Service' plays @CinemaCon: James Bond meets 'Kick-Ass'

Alexandra Cheney ‏@alexandracheney 18m
    “Secret Service” @20thFoxCC = #colinfirth kicking butt. #CinemaCon
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:
    ‏Some great reactions from the footage they showed at CinemaCon:

@colliderfrosty 1m
    Colin Firth kicked so much ass in SECRET SERVICE it was crazy. Liam Neeson better watch his back. You will be floored by the footage.

Ben Fritz ‏@benfritz 3m
    Biggest surprise at Fox Cinema-Con presentation was the Secret Service footage. Very unusual tone

Chris Sylvia ‏@sylvioso 6m
    Colin Firth in Secret Service was the knock-out punch of #Cinemacon

Steven Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty 10m
    Saw first footage from SECRET SERVICE. Looks ****ing amazing. We saw an action scene that used slow and fast motion in a brilliant new way

Alex Billington ‏@firstshowing 17m
    Whattt Matthew Vaughn's Secret Service looks awesome! Badass fights, fun comedy, like Men in Black meets James Bond or something. #CinemaCon

Mystery Devin Faraci ‏@devincf 17m
    First footage from SECRET SERVICE: great! Matthew Vaughn operating at his best with broad/fun action.

Pamela McClintock ‏@PamelaDayM 17m
    First footage of Matthew Vaughn's 'Secret Service' plays @CinemaCon: James Bond meets 'Kick-Ass'

Alexandra Cheney ‏@alexandracheney 18m
    “Secret Service” @20thFoxCC = #colinfirth kicking butt. #CinemaCon

I've never been under any illusion that this will be anything but superb.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 300
    New film directed by Matthew Vaughn, based on the graphic novel by Mark Millar.
    Starring Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Samuel L. Jackson and Michael Caine.

Kingsman-The-Secret-Service-poster-550x814.jpg

Is it just me, or does Colin Firth have a bit of a Roger Moore Bond vibe in this?
    Been keeping a eye on this movie, also looking forward to Nemesis. Can't stream youtube at moment, not sure why.