Skyfall island as you've never scene before.

edited June 2013 in Trivia & Games Posts: 2,782

And yes seen and scene was deliberate....

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I know I know nothing about filmmaking but could someone explain to me again why this whole scene had to be shot with CGI and not a single location shot when you can get images as beautiful as that with a tiny little camcorder?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I know I know nothing about filmmaking but could someone explain to me again why this whole scene had to be shot with CGI and not a single location shot when you can get images as beautiful as that with a tiny little camcorder?

I know a good bit of CGI was used, but I thought some of the island was actually used? I could be totally wrong, as I, too, know little about filmmaking in terms of this.

what an astonishing piece of footage!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:

I know a good bit of CGI was used, but I thought some of the island was actually used? I could be totally wrong, as I, too, know little about filmmaking in terms of this.

I thought the helicopters and one of the statues were CGI.
    Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I thought the helicopters and one of the statues were CGI.

The whole thing is CGI or a set and I'm pretty certain I heard it (from P&W no less) that no one set foot on the real island due to 'budgetary constraints' I think was the phrase. I would call it being cheap myself.
    @TheWizardOfIce, another idiotic question: how does that dive heavily into the budget? Looks like an abandoned, dilapidated island to me.
    Great video. Got to get me one of those flying cams!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @TheWizardOfIce, another idiotic question: how does that dive heavily into the budget? Looks like an abandoned, dilapidated island to me.
    In the OLD days they would have HAD to go there. Now?
    Toontown.
    ;)
    @chrisisall, makes sense, makes sense. If only this was 'the old days,' then!
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,215
    They replicated a portion of it at Pinewood and then extended the set using CGI, but they used bits of the real island as reference.
    I always thought and still think the scenes in the film look fantastic, so I couldn´t care less how they were shot.

But what I find sad is that I spent a year in Japan back in my student days, and never learned of the existence of that island >:P .
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    In the OLD days they would have HAD to go there. Now?
    Toontown.
    ;)

Which really hurts the movie, unlike the older 007 movies you lack the feeling of a real location.
    Even the Shanghai location felt unreal, and it was.

They replicated a portion of it at Pinewood and then extended the set using CGI, but they used bits of the real island as reference.

Reference? Is that what counts as location shooting now? Google some pictures them build it at Pinewood and in a computer?
    boldfinger wrote:
    I always thought and still think the scenes in the film look fantastic, so I couldn´t care less how they were shot.

Can't agree with that. The bits when they are actually on the island are fine but as they sail up to it and it shimmers out of fog that is only there to hide the join its pretty blatantly CGI. They could even be bothered to send someone just to film an exterior shot from a boat.

It just makes me despair now that the first answer for everything is 'don't worry we can just CGI it.'

For a company with such a poor track record of using CGI as EON (DAD parasurfing, QOS freefall and the helicopters hovering over Silvas island - complete with the Union Jack emblazoned all over them? Which helicopters in service have that prey tell?) they should be very careful of going down this route.

The thing is the success of SF vindicates Babs spending all the money on A list talent rather than up on the screen like Cubby used to. Not saying its entirely the wrong approach but when there's a perfect location out there but they don't even attempt to film on it something is amiss.
  • boldfinger wrote:

But what I find sad is that I spent a year in Japan back in my student days, and never learned of the existence of that island >:P .

Did you have a gap year? Where in Japan were you?

Any way Skyfall did a good thing by this island...a lot of people now know of it's existence.

Agreed they should have gone there. At one point weren't they scouting locations in Wales for Skyfall lodge?

Did you have a gap year? Where in Japan were you?
    I did some years of Japanese Studies, before finding out it´s the wrong path for me. I got a stipend, and since I was years before writing any thesis, yeah I guess you could say it was kind of a gap year ;-). I spent most of the time in Fukuoka, with some weeks in Tokyo, apart from the occasional trip here and there.
    Do you have any connections to Japan yourself?