SOLO - 'The Mystery Of The Incompetent Marketing Campaign'

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 802
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Interesting, @007InVT, I'd not seen either of those before. thanks sop much for sharing.

This is also my first viewing. That said, I think they are both appalling and symptomatic of the problem.
    The whole purpose of a book trailer is to give insight to the story and to entice readers.
    In this regard Viking's trailer for Le Carre's 'A Delicate Truth' is a testimony to excellence and is doubtless a contributory factor to this novels phenomenal success (currently NO.2 in the UK hardback charts after weeks at NO.1). The videos posted for DMC & CB would have readers running the other way!
    What other ideas have we got?

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Villiers53 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Interesting, @007InVT, I'd not seen either of those before. thanks sop much for sharing.

This is also my first viewing. That said, I think they are both appalling and symptomatic of the problem.
    The whole purpose of a book trailer is to give insight to the story and to entice readers.
    In this regard Viking's trailer for Le Carre's 'A Delicate Truth' is a testimony to excellence and is doubtless a contributory factor to this novels phenomenal success (currently NO.2 in the UK hardback charts after weeks at NO.1). The videos posted for DMC & CB would have readers running the other way!
    What other ideas have we got?

I've been meaning to get John Le Carre's new one. I must get it on my next shopping excursion.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    edited June 2013 Posts: 893
    Comments 007?

e68bb97603dec33b4246aa60b36b9572.jpg

3dd1f754f16dd6e7cca3cfc12973767d.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,882
    Very nice, especially the 2nd one. They remind me of the Chopping covers.
    Yes @007InVT, those are most excellent indeed. The first Solo cover reminds me rather of the TSWLM Pan paperback cover with the map on fire on its cover. I suppose this may be intentional?
    Correct on both counts!
    007InVT wrote:
    Correct on both counts!

Oh, great! How observant of me! Keep up the good work, friend.
    @Dragonpol - Thank You!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Decent work 007inVT and doubtless better than what we will really get.

One small criticism - youre need the correct font to really give it that Chopping feel.

Heres an idea for publicity - why not have a competition to design the cover?

Who actually reads Bond novels these days? 90% would be Bond fans I imagine so why not give the people what they want rather than another insipid modern cover (although to be fair I didnt mind DMC even though it was rather derivative of the TWINE teaser poster).

I'm sure we would all rather one of 007InVt's Chopping-esque covers than what will eventually be foisted upon us.

Unless Solo is a masterpiece then IFP seriously need to have a look at how they are handling the literary Bond. This policy of hiring one jobbing author after another who really doesnt give a toss as long as they pay him clearly isnt working.

The obvious answer (which for some reason they are resisting) is to get Higson and sign him up at least for a trilogy. Hes obviously a fan who knows his Fleming, but unlike Benson he has proven himself to show he knows what hes doing when it comes to writing a book as well.

@TheWizardOfIce - Yes, I'm still grappling with the right fonts. I can't seem to nail it.

Any advice or suggestions for the font style that is used. I'm staring at my copy of Goldfinger but can't find the exact font in my photo editor.

Suggestions much appreciated!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    007InVT wrote:
    @TheWizardOfIce - Yes, I'm still grappling with the right fonts. I can't seem to nail it.

Any advice or suggestions for the font style that is used. I'm staring at my copy of Goldfinger but can't find the exact font in my photo editor.

Suggestions much appreciated!

I saw it the other day but I cant remember if it was on here or somewhere else.

I'll try and track it down for you if I can.
    That would be great. Thank you.

Heres an idea for publicity - why not have a competition to design the cover?

Mi6 ran them for Carte Blanche, Moonraker, TMWTGG and LALD. Here's hoping they do one for SOLO or someone can ask them. Maybe I will!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I found the same font or similar to Chopping's Goldfinger cover.
    http://www.dafont.com/cargo-crate.font
    @Murdock - Thank you!
    007InVT wrote:
    @Murdock - Thank you!
    Most welcome @007InVT. ;)

Wilco!

d0a4a9f69f918c7a0d585b60c162c2d8.jpg
    007InVT wrote:
    Comments 007?

e68bb97603dec33b4246aa60b36b9572.jpg

3dd1f754f16dd6e7cca3cfc12973767d.jpg

@007InVT - A huge bravo - I really appreciate your talent!
    One small observation I would have is that the impact of Chopping's Fleming covers was created, in no small part by contrasting the beautiful with murder and mayhem (the dagger with the rose, the gun with the rose, the skull with the rose etc) — incorporate that element and you are on the way to a home run!
    Further to that, I agree with everything that @ TheWizardOflce posted — except for his grudging approval of the DMC cover (I don't like it).
    His idea for a competition to design the cover has great merit and one can only hope that IFP/JC have the marketing gumption to visit this site and grab the idea.
    Most importantly, I support and have myself proposed Charlie Higson to move into the adult Bond franchise — he would be fabulous!
    007InVT wrote:
    Wilco!

d0a4a9f69f918c7a0d585b60c162c2d8.jpg

Now that's a Chopping! ;)
    Thanks @Villiers53!

I don't have guns or knives at home, but working on adding some danger to it all!

Maybe a letter opener might be a start :)

Chopping did stray on License Renewed from the CargoCrate font:

3a04cf1fe1cc15970f0bbad6df946084.jpg

I don't suppose anyone knows the font style of the 'License Renewed' text? @Murdock?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    007InVT wrote:

It looks a lot like it, but the capitalized 'R' is quite different.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That is it!
    AeroliteCPone

949ff6244c4ad4998b2216afcf6f43cb.jpg
    I do hope IFP/JC are looking at @007InVT's great work and gain inspiration for the type of cover real Bond literary fans might appreciate.
    I'd never thought of it before but Chopping's consistent cargo crate backgrounds were probably a nod to "Universal Export"?
    Personally, I'm also a great fan of the late, great Raymond Hawkey's artwork. He did fabulous covers for both Deighton and Fleming and I found his '60s covers for Pan (starting with Thunderball with the bullet hole) to be just as impressive as Chopping's JC first editions.
    Also of interest to JC should be the fabulous trailer done by Alan Furst's publisher for the paperback release of his fabulous book; 'Mission To Paris'.
    Meanwhile the SOLO micro site remains empty!
    Villiers53 wrote:
    I do hope IFP/JC are looking at @007InVT's great work and gain inspiration for the type of cover real Bond literary fans might appreciate.
    I'd never thought of it before but Chopping's consistent cargo crate backgrounds were probably a nod to "Universal Export"?
    Personally, I'm also a great fan of the late, great Raymond Hawkey's artwork. He did fabulous covers for both Deighton and Fleming and I found his '60s covers for Pan (starting with Thunderball with the bullet hole) to be just as impressive as Chopping's JC first editions.
    Also of interest to JC should be the fabulous trailer done by Alan Furst's publisher for the paperback release of his fabulous book; 'Mission To Paris'.
    Meanwhile the SOLO micro site remains empty!

Indeed, I hope that are as well. They could gain much inspiration there from.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 802
    Doubtless SOLO will include some obligatory brand mentions. Perhaps including Bentley and Rolex.
    It would be interesting to organise merchandising programmes. Eon have highjacked the watch relationship with Eon but I'm sure Rolex would be interested in marketing their Oyster Perpetual as the original Bond watch as featured in ......
    Also, I'm sure Bentley would be interested in celebrating and using the literary relationship to usurp Aston Martin.
    Still, with weeks to go, all we have is an empty SOLO microsite — come on JC, surely there is still time to do something more than a limp press launch?
    I don't know how many hardbacks they have budgeted to sell but with the right marketing campaign they could sell the double!
    Villiers53 wrote:
    Doubtless SOLO will include some obligatory brand mentions. Perhaps including Bentley and Rolex.
    It would be interesting to organise merchandising programmes. Eon have highjacked the watch relationship with Eon but I'm sure Rolex would be interested in marketing their Oyster Perpetual as the original Bond watch as featured in ......
    Also, I'm sure Bentley would be interested in celebrating and using the literary relationship to usurp Aston Martin.
    Still, with weeks to go, all we have is an empty SOLO microsite — come on JC, surely there is still time to do something more than a limp press launch?
    I don't know how many hardbacks they have budgeted to sell but with the right marketing campaign they could sell the double!

Do you have the web address for the Solo microsite?
    Thanks for the praise @Villiers53 and @Dragonpol

Clever point about "Universal Export" link.

I want to get some Bentley reference into another idea.