Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, we'd have no choice but I for one won't be happy about it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Why not @doubleoego? The only better option is 2014 and 2016, you won't give them one year leeway?
  • It would be great to get Bond 24 in late 2014 (December) but I think that we might be looking at a 2015 release date (probably March or April). Remember a film released at anytime can still be a huge success. Alice In Wonderland was released in March and made a billion dollars! Filming starts in Feb/Mar of 2014 with Mendes at the helm. Release date scheduled for late March/April... I think the producers don't want to venture into late summer ....and probably don't want to wait until late 2015...too long after SF. Just my thoughts.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Nope because the series is in great shape, the script has been worked on for over a year, SF made over a billion dollars, a 2014 release date for Bond 24 should have been released months ago, given how successful SF was. The idea the Bond series is too big and scary to live upto now is utter nonsense imo and shows the true colours of these so called great film makers who turned it down because they're too afraid.

But like I said, whenever the movies get released us something we have to live with. We don't necessarilly have to like it.
    Sam I think Double like myself love Craig and want more then the traditional 4 bond films I understand it is hard to do a "fast turn around" we still want it.

however why are we all assuming late 2015 when nothing is confirmed I would be fine with say a April 2015 date 2.5 years after skyfall
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, I think it's just the schedule they've gone with since, what, GE? Releasing them in October/November.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Nope because the series is in great shape, the script has been worked on for over a year, SF made over a billion dollars, a 2014 release date for Bond 24 should have been released months ago, given how successful SF was. The idea the Bond series is too big and scary to live upto now is utter nonsense imo and shows the true colours of these so called great film makers who turned it down because they're too afraid.

But like I said, whenever the movies get released us something we have to live with. We don't necessarilly have to like it.

I understand your points and although we have no date yet, Bond could share a November slot, if they're not scared.

Like you said, whatever we get, we have to live with it, no sense complaining as we'll get no where. It'll be a damn shame if they do miss it, I agree.
    With Mendes they shouldn't be "scared" to share any date because Skyfall made a billion dollars.
    Quite but who the hell knows what is going on.

Hopefully confirmation is only weeks, if not days away.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Quite but who the hell knows what is going on.

Hopefully confirmation is only weeks, if not days away.

With all of the directing news stirring up, I hope we hear something in the coming days. Granted, EON does enjoy working on their own time and releasing information when they're ready.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'm not expecting any official announcements to come soon, I've learned my lesson about that after last year (remember we all thought the singer would be announced in the summer?).

I'm just going to do what I always did before last year: expect nothing so it'll be a nice surprise if we do get some news.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    If that's happening next Spring there's no reason he can't prep Bond at the same time. Mendes may leave the bulk of the work to Marshall anyway.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well assuming this is true I think we can say one thing pretty much with certainty and that is that 2014 is gone.

One of Mendes conditions would certainly have been to have a decent break, especially if they were tapping him up for B25 as well.

And I dont envisage why they would go for a summer release when Bond generally has the autumn slot to himself. Look at SF - was on about 4 screens and had 3 months in cinemas. In London it was still showing 3 times daily in Feb! You wouldnt get that exposure in the crowded summer marketplace.

I would say Oct/Nov 2015 is pretty much nailed on at this point.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 1,661
    The Fast And Furious 6 has been getting rave reviews for its action. I've never seen a FAF film but Eon might consider director Justin Lin. Some people thought SF lacked some big action scenes so perhaps this Mr Lin could deliver that. I guess if Eon/MGM offer Mendes some ridiculous amount he'll come back but most Bond films are about the action rather than the introspective drama "oh, I am a tortured secret agent" so someone like Lin will deliver all the crazy action and Babs Broccoli can insist on all the emotional stuff in between the crazy stuff being blown up.:P I think an action director should be the first port of call when considering a director for a James Bond film.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    fanbond123 wrote:
    The Fast And Furious 6 has been getting rave reviews for its action. I've never seen a FAF film but Eon might consider director Justin Lin. Some people thought SF lacked some big action scenes so perhaps this Mr Lin could deliver that. I guess if Eon/MGM offer Mendes some ridiculous amount he'll come back but most Bond films are about the action rather than the introspective drama "oh, I am a tortured secret agent" so someone like Lin will deliver all the crazy action and Babs Broccoli can insist on all the emotional stuff in between the crazy stuff being blown up.:P I think an action director should be the first port of call when considering a director for a James Bond film.

Despite me rather injecting acid into my retina than ever watch a Fast and Furious film you do have a point. From the trailer and clips I've seen the action does look remarkably impressive.

If theres one criticism of SF I would have is that it didnt push the benchmark in terms of stunts and action. Nor indeed did QOS. The CR freerunning is the last Bond action sequence that really delivered for me on a par with the TLD plane fight or GE tank chase and we are well overdue a truly iconic stunt to rank with the astro spiral car jump, ski jump or bungy jump.

If it is Mendes (he did a very solid 8/10 job so I'm far from devastated) I want this as a minimum:

1. A massive PTS including a stunt that will immediately pass into legend.

2. 2 big action sequences (and when I say big I mean around 10 mins in duration and involving amazing stuntwork and plenty of damage to vehicles, buildings and people).

3. 2 or 3 FRWL/CR style fights with some proper brutality.

4. Actual people doing the stunts and minimal use of CGI.

5. No by the numbers action sequences such as the TWINE ski chase, DAD hovercraft chase and QOS boat chase. Originality and realism should be the watchwords along with spectacular.

6. Dont be scared to not have Dans face in shot and let the stuntmen earn their corn. Theres a problem I feel with the last 2 films that because he does so many of his own stunts the film makers consider it more important when designing an action sequence that its possible for Dan to do 90% of it rather than what would be the most spectacular thing possible.

Do all that with the action (probably 30/40 mins of screen time in total) and that gives you around 2 hours (come on lets break the 150 min mark this time - everyone else does) to put in all the character and drama stuff you are so good at and I'll be pretty happy Sam.

PS - But suggesting a Fast and Furious director for Bond is utter insanity if you dont mind me saying so fanbond123.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I will take drama and depth over action any day, especially in Bond.
    6. Dont be scared to not have Dans face in shot and let the stuntmen earn their corn.

Agreed. With the CG face replacement tech they've got going now, there's little excuse not to go this route.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

I would point you to a little film you might have heard of which has both in spades.

I think its called OHMSS.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I would point you to a little film you might have heard of which has both in spades.

I elect CR above that, for certain.
    Ok, I like Sam and all but if he decided to do B24 after all why did he quit in first place? It's just really stupid.
    dragonsky wrote:
    Ok, I like Sam and all but if he decided to do B24 after all why did he quit in first place? It's just really stupid.

I agree. I guess EON are stubborn to get him and he does want to do more Bond films, so maybe they met in the middle? They get him but he needs his time to rest?

I won't believe a word until an announcement is made officially, by EON.

Yeah I'll give you that too.

But SF really didnt deliver in action terms for me - especially given it was the 50th.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694

Yeah I'll give you that too.

But SF really didnt deliver in action terms for me - especially given it was the 50th.

While it isn't the best of the series, I liked it and some of it was quite stylish and awe inspiring.
    =bg= wrote:

Already reported on this forum

While some of the 'Fast and Furious' films are guilty pleasures of mine, I wouldn't want Lin working on a Bond film.

As for this action debate, I do agree: the action in SF was nothing special, and while I don't need a QoS-type Bond film that is pure action, I still want to see a lot of moments that really blow me away.
    isn't Lin doing Hiighlander?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Risico007 wrote:
    isn't Lin doing Hiighlander?

He was attached to Highlander for a while as well as Terminator 5. I don't know what his status is with those fims at this time.

Right now, going off of IMDB (never reliable, but just for an idea), he isn't attached to or rumored for anything.