Everyday Drinking

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @AgentFae and @Benny, I know you guys want Foster's to dissapear from this planet, but tbh I HAVE had Foster's when I was Down Under. I think it was sold in and around Darwin, mostly. As VB was mainly sold in Melbourne and surroundings (amazing, isn't it?).
    Now Toohey's New certainly brought back many memories I can't remember!

For tonight I'll probably be on a beer run again. Yesterday was wine, it was a very, very good one, but the wine-bar people wouldn't tell me the name...
    Or I'll be drinking Vodka-Bitter Lemon. It's a very, very nice drink (if you use bottles of Bitter Lemon, only use half of it, and put a slice of Lemon in too!) but easy to drink far too many.

I have a tradition of buying a Tawny Porto for New Year since I went to Lisbon a couple years ago.
    It's a great drink and I'd recommend it to everyone who likes a good digestive or a liquor for desserts.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    0013 wrote:
    I have a tradition of buying a Tawny Porto for New Year since I went to Lisbon a couple years ago.
    It's a great drink and I'd recommend it to everyone who likes a good digestive or a liquor for desserts.

Port is always great, though I prefer White over Tawny myself. If you enjoy it you should really go to Oporto one day, great city.
  • Since sometimes the location is every bit as important as the drink itself, what's everyone's favorite drinking establishment? I'll be in London in a few weeks - any locals want to recommend their favorite pub?
    Sandy wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Port is always great, though I prefer White over Tawny myself. If you enjoy it you should really go to Oporto one day, great city.

Thank you for the advice!
  • I'm having a well deserved glass of red to relax after a hard day. Makes a change from my usual cup of tea!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    edited February 2013 Posts: 784
    wanna know what goes good with tea? a shot of Honey Jack Daniels Whiskey, stirred in.
  • wanna know what goes good with tea? a shot of Honey Jack Daniels Whiskey, stirred in.

I love good old Jack. Never had Honey JD though. Is it very good?
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    yes it is. I had a cold/cough a few weeks back and I would sip on it to soothe my throat. It's good straight too or with a nice mixer (usually coke for me).
  • yes it is. I had a cold/cough a few weeks back and I would sip on it to soothe my throat. It's good straight too or with a nice mixer (usually coke for me).

I'll have to get myself a bottle of that, cheers.
    Getting ready for what is always a great night - my best friend (who is equally mad about Bond) coming round to watch Bond, talk about all sorts but with hardly a minute going by before one of us manages to get a Bond quote into the conversation, and drink a lethal but pleasureable mixture of Bollinger, Beer and Vespers! Ok, so it's not "everyday drinking", but how I wish it was!
  • A nice glass of Malbec at Cafe Rouge hits the spot for me, usually. Sometimes it's better than others though.

I have gone off white a bit, it now seems a bit acidic. Usually I go for Sav Blanc Marlborough.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Trigger wrote:
    and drink a lethal but pleasureable mixture of Bollinger, Beer and Vespers!

I hope you mean separately there otherwise thats one mean cocktail.
    Yeah they were all separate! Word of warning though - 9 beers, half a bottle of Bollinger and 2 Vespers makes for a fun night but a dreadful next day!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Quarrel wrote:
    Since sometimes the location is every bit as important as the drink itself, what's everyone's favorite drinking establishment? I'll be in London in a few weeks - any locals want to recommend their favorite pub?

I do have my fav watering holes here in my home town. Most of the time I stick to beer, but sometimes it's Wodka-Bitter Lemon or even Scotch.

London has many nice pubs. I had the pleasure of beeing shown around for an evening by @StGeorge and @Doubleonothing. And if I remember it well they took us (my then gf and me) to the Duck and Dog in Soho: http://www.timeout.com/london/bars-and-pubs/dog-duck
    I'm not quite sure, I only remember the duck in the name, but it had many ales indeed!
    Hey guys- I just moved into a new place with my girlfriend and wanted to share my 'man cave'. Well it's not exactly a cave, but it's a 'corner' :P

I have something of a mini bar set up, over my (comic) book shelf

539775_10100108967270891_317230380_n.jpg

And as I have the place to myself tonight, I thought now would be a great time to have my first drink at the new place! Resources are limited until I go to the local liquor store, but I did still have vermouth and Gin; also added a squirt of lime!
    Put it with my special car rack for the photo ;)

DSC_0493_zps4b23d5a7.jpg?t=1362452197

Time to sit back and watch Skyfall I think! Cheers!
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,189
    last week I tried Red Stripe for the first time, and a la Dr. No I just picked up a 12 pack. Love it! It's a simple tropical lager and it comes in those cool little bottles.
    Sounds good! You couldn't send one over here per chance? ;-)
  • TOFANA007TOFANA007 Banned
    Like a good beer now and then my brannd is Zima.

Sent from my Android 3G

Verizon- Value with you nonstop.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    TOFANA007 wrote:
    Like a good beer now and then my brannd is Zima.

Sent from my Android 3G

Verizon- Value with you nonstop.

You sound drunk most of the time you post here.

Drinking_smiley.gif
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited March 2013 Posts: 2,630
    TOFANA007 wrote:
    Now Pierce ZIMA is non alcoholic not alcohol.

After a little bit of looking it up, Zima has alcohol in it. It is referred to as a soda pop rather than a beer though. Also, it's been discontinued since 2008.
  • TOFANA007TOFANA007 Banned
    That true but i have a still andd the recippe and I do make my own, its a fun hobbie
    This is kinda interesting. Bit more snobbery than I'll ever put into my drinking, but I suppose it's a nice thing to know.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2NxmZMW7Ys?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2NxmZMW7Ys?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Agent005 wrote:
    This is kinda interesting. Bit more snobbery than I'll ever put into my drinking, but I suppose it's a nice thing to know.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2NxmZMW7Ys?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2NxmZMW7Ys?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I'm not a fan of wasting whiskey.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Agent005 wrote:
    everyday-drinking-190.jpg

I just finished reading the book Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis and was inspired to start a topic for the drinkers of the board to share their favourite drinks and cocktail recipes.

I'm not usually much of a cocktail man, but I certainly enjoy a good whisky and pint of Guinness when I can. At the moment, I'd have to say that a neat Talisker is my favourite...

Anyone have any favourites to share?

I need this book! I love Amis' in general.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Right? It makes me cringe when he just tosses a perfectly good scotch onto the floor.

There's a place in hell reserved for people who waste good Scotch ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Agent005 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Right? It makes me cringe when he just tosses a perfectly good scotch onto the floor.

Very upsetting to see.

@007inVT, seeing as how I may be rapping on the door momentarily...

;)

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    last week I tried Red Stripe for the first time, and a la Dr. No I just picked up a 12 pack. Love it! It's a simple tropical lager and it comes in those cool little bottles.
    Red Stripe is awesome :)
    @Creasy47 - You spotted, well played ;)

"I suppose I'll go out speaking the King's..."