Leave Bond alone after Craig finishes

edited May 2013 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 1,548
Personally I would wait 5-6 years post Dan Craig before re--introducing the character in a similar vein to the post Dalton era. Hard to follow a legend as Lazenby discovered.Anyone agree?

Comments

I think, unfortunately - it will be "The King is dead, long live the king"
    Lazenby is not the right compartison, as he left on his own decision as far as I know. Afraid, he might be typecast :))

And the delay after Dalton was not a deliberate choice.
  • The delay after Dalton had a very good effect, namely making Goldeneye even better, but the uncertainty was, by all reports, disastrous and could have been even more so.

I would very much like them to go to the next Bond after Craig without missing a beat, even if it might be unlikely.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Personally I would wait 5-6 years post Dan Craig before re--introducing the character in a similar vein to the post Dalton era. Hard to follow a legend as Lazenby discovered.Anyone agree?
    I do not. I want more Bond, the sooner, the better.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Can't agree at all. I hate waiting ages anyway and there's no need.

I don't think that Craig is so good that nobody could follow him and the way I see it, the sooner joe public accepts that Craig is gone, the sooner Bond no 7 can start moving out of his shadow.

A new Bond film with the new actor not too long after he leaves will help set it in stone that Craig's not coming back and people will be more accepting of the new guy.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I do not. I want more Bond, the sooner, the better.

This.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    News -> Bond 24 & Beyond
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    LeChiffre wrote:

Roger Moore followed the same legend and played the role for the next 14 years. I think the lesson from Lazenby is to not recast with a non-actor / car salesman.
    I think the lesson from Lazenby is to not recast with a non-actor / car salesman.

LOL!!! I'm cryin' here!! LOL!
    I hate to rain on every one's parade, but I am wondering how many Bond movies there are going to be made after Craig, if any. Skyfall made money and people claim to like it, but I am afraid unless a change of direction comes I do not see many more Bonds left.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'd be super pissed if we had to wait 3 or 4 years like what's being suggested for the release if Bond 24 only to have Craig's successor get a movie 2 years after Bond 25.
    Perdogg wrote:
    I hate to rain on every one's parade, but I am wondering how many Bond movies there are going to be made after Craig, if any. Skyfall made money and people claim to like it, but I am afraid unless a change of direction comes I do not see many more Bonds left.

Yeah, this Bond thing can't go on, it's a kinda flash in the pan thing, it'll never last....... =))
  • Perdogg wrote:

Translation: Skyfall has been the most successful Bond film both financially and critically. I, however, do not care for it.
    Perdogg wrote:
    I am afraid unless a change of direction comes I do not see many more Bonds left.
    No way. Bond will continue as long as the public seeks escapist fantasy in their movies. It's sheer commerce. Look at Trek- when all seemed over, JJ Abrams saw a buck to be made still. Godzilla is getting another movie soon. Icons will never fade entirely.
    Bond isn't Flint or Helm; Bond is forever.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond may be delayed but he'll never be gone at least not in my life time and I'm 28.
    Bond movies will always be around whilst the masses have the appetite to consume stories cinematically and such films are commercially profitable. Basically Hell is more likely to freeze over first.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I can't agree with this at all. After Craig the next one should come out three years later, tops.
  • Bond movies will always be around whilst the masses have the appetite to consume stories cinematically and such films are commercially profitable. Basically Hell is more likely to freeze over first.

I'd say that the fan community takes the success of Bond for granted a little bit. We forget how close the series came to being cancelled in the mid-70s and late-80s. Even now, all it would take is a couple of duds and the series would be cancelled...

Not wanting to be negative but I just think it's worth mentioning as it's sometimes easy to overlook how canny Cubby, Harry, MGW and Barbara Broccoli have had to be to keep the series alive and what a remarkable and unique thing it is that they've succeeded.

Besides, there has never been a Bond film that's lost money and the series is more successful now than anytime since the mid-60s (arguably ever)
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Besides, there has never been a Bond film that's lost money and the series is more successful now than anytime since the mid-60s (arguably ever)
    Just WAIT until the Justin Bieber Bonds!!! "Kill Another Week" will make Skyfall look tame! :))
    Bond movies will always be around whilst the masses have the appetite to consume stories cinematically and such films are commercially profitable. Basically Hell is more likely to freeze over first.

I'd say that the fan community takes the success of Bond for granted a little bit. We forget how close the series came to being cancelled in the mid-70s and late-80s. Even now, all it would take is a couple of duds and the series would be cancelled...

Not wanting to be negative but I just think it's worth mentioning as it's sometimes easy to overlook how canny Cubby, Harry, MGW and Barbara Broccoli have had to be to keep the series alive and what a remarkable and unique thing it is that they've succeeded.

Just as I said - films being commercially profitable. Bond is big business so until these duds materalise and the series runs at a loss, then Bond will always continue, it's all about the money.

I do worry about a future out of the hands of the current producers who have kept the traditions of the late great Cubby and kept the franchise in steady safe hands. Time will tell.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Perdogg wrote:

Well it doesnt really matter to EON if people are only 'claiming' to like SF as long as they put down real money to see it.

As long as they keep making money Bond will continue and even if they run out of steam then they can take a break for 5 years and then reboot like Batman Begins and re-introduce Klebb, Oddjob and the like in different incarnations or they can just go back and do the books as period pieces.

Plenty of life in the old dog yet.

My parade remains bone dry.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Perdogg wrote:

Well it doesnt really matter to EON if people are only 'claiming' to like SF as long as they put down real money to see it.

As long as they keep making money Bond will continue and even if they run out of steam then they can take a break for 5 years and then reboot like Batman Begins and re-introduce Klebb, Oddjob and the like in different incarnations or they can just go back and do the books as period pieces.

Indeed. Don't draw up Bond's obituary just yet...
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Still vehemently defending this guy Draggers? I remain to be convinced.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,730
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Still vehemently defending this guy Draggers? I remain to be convinced.

Well, I think that, perhaps like myself on some areas of Bondology, perdogg has something a little different to bring to the table, so let's not be too harsh. I can't say I agree with everything he says, but neither do I agree with things many others say either. He is a friend and as such, I feel the need to defend him. He's not a troll by any means. Look at his thread on the Gothic influences of the Fleming Bond novels for example. Perhaps you see where I'm coming from, Ice? Give him a chance to shine and you won't be disappointed. I know perdogg from AJB, where we've both left to come here. We voted with our feet.
  • Just as I said - films being commercially profitable. Bond is big business so until these duds materalise and the series runs at a loss, then Bond will always continue, it's all about the money.

I do worry about a future out of the hands of the current producers who have kept the traditions of the late great Cubby and kept the franchise in steady safe hands. Time will tell.

Agreed. I understand that Michael G Wilson's son is now an important part of Eon so hopefully the next generation will continue in the same vein.
    Just as I said - films being commercially profitable. Bond is big business so until these duds materalise and the series runs at a loss, then Bond will always continue, it's all about the money.

Agreed. I understand that Michael G Wilson's son is now an important part of Eon so hopefully the next generation will continue in the same vein.

Interesting factual nugget, there. I never knew that, but great news to hear the baton will be passed on at some point.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Working hard on the films since GoldenEye, has Gregg.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Just as long as brother David isnt allowed near the series.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    I dont want to wait like 5 years for the next Bond after Craig and if it does finish I'll have to go back to Dr Who.

He's currently in charge of Eon's global business strategy.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    After DAD the producers admitted to being unsure of the direction they wanted to take. They also concluded a new actor was needed. The four year delay was reflective of their states of mind at the time.

It's more likely that this time they will be more aware of a pending change because Craig will have informed them that 'the next will be my last' a la Connery and Moore. So the search will be under way.

They may have someone lined up or they may not. Unitl the time comes no one knows how long the delay will be, but circumstances will obviously dictate.
    Samuel001 wrote:

He's currently in charge of Eon's global business strategy.

I wouldn't even have him in charge of EONs bin strategy after his sterling work on 007 Legends.