Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Oblivion - a well realised world, and well worth a look. But I don't think it'll make my blu-ray collection. Next up Star Trek Into Darkness. Really looking forward to this.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Pain and Gain'

Typical Bay film, with all his usual tidbits thrown in. The Rock (surprisingly) played a God-fearing gentleman (at times), which was unique and interesting, and I liked the chemistry between everyone. It had some pretty good comedy in it, as well. I quite enjoyed it, but at times, it was difficult to understand what was going on, and overall weird.

6/10
    Oblivion - a well realised world, and well worth a look. But I don't think it'll make my blu-ray collection. Next up Star Trek Into Darkness. Really looking forward to this.

I liked Oblivion and I agree with you. Especially about Star Trek Into Darkness...
    Oblivion is good and like I have said before, we may not care for Tom Cruise but most of his films over the past 20 plus years are well worth seeing.
    'Iron Man 3'

My lady and my good friend took me out for the day and we ended up seeing this. It was a lot better than I had expected, and while I didn't appreciate the twists at all, I enjoyed the direction Black took the film. It was a lot better than the second, and I had a real good time with it.

7/10
    Summer movie season has begun!

Iron Man 3

While I'm more of a DC guy, I really do enjoy the Iron Man character. I loved Iron Man and thought Iron Man 2 was decent enough. But I was really interested where new director Shane Black would take this character in a post Avengers world. What we got is an interesting new direction that is a great way to start off the summer movie season. Robert Downey jr is once again terrific as Tony Stark and I really can't see them "James Bonding" this role when he leaves. Of course I'm sure people thought the same of Sean Connery but I digress. The action is the highlight of this film. It's simply terrific. From an attack on the Stark home to the thrilling final battle, it's all top notch.

The much discussed "twist" is interesting. I can definitely see how die hard comic fans would be PISSED. But as a film goer, I thought it worked well.

Overall, this film was an interesting new direction for Tony Stark and I'm excited to see where it goes from here.
    8/10
    @bondbat007, while I'm not a die-hard comic fan, I just didn't care for the twist in the slightest.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @bondbat007, while I'm not a die-hard comic fan, I just didn't care for the twist in the slightest.

And I can understand why. Some people I know hate it, some love it. I thought it was an interesting take but totally understand why some people hate it.
    Star Trek Into Darkness. Another solid entry from J J Abrams, maybe not as good as the last one but not bad in any way. Nice to see Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch as chief baddie John Harrison. While not a fan of 3D I chose to watch this on preview day which is a 3D release, overall the 3D was quite good but I still think that it doesn't add anything to the film. I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much when I see it on 2D blu-ray in a few months time. There are some nice riffs on one of the Original Series films which make it even more enjoyable for Trekkies.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I quite enjoyed this film. Very atmospheric and beautifully shot. I got a kick out of Cruises' character flipping through the old LP collection. He pauses on the Stones Exile...., we get a glimpse of Floyd's The Wall, but ultimately he selects to play Led Zep 2 (Ramble On). We got flashes of a couple of other LP covers. Just can't remember what they were.
    It seems though that the filmmakers considered these old classic-rock gems to be worthy selections.

There is nothing very deep about this film, but it's a nice relaxing 2 plus hours at the cinema. This is why we go to the cinema.

'The Great Gatsby'

Absolutely fantastic film. The acting was beyond superb, and the set and costume work was phenomenal. I can't say much in the adaptation department, as I'm ashamed to say I've never read the book. My only complaint: the horrendous choice of music for the soundtrack. It was a joke.

8/10
    Has anyone seen 'The Hangover: Part III' or 'Fast & Furious 6' yet? And if you have, what were your thoughts? Without giving away any spoilers, of course. Doing a double feature of both tomorrow. I planned on seeing just the former tonight, but the final two showtimes were sold out, and since the latter was sold out for all showtimes all day today, it looks like I'll be showing up very early to see it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    "Star Trek: Into Darkness"

Wonderful film. Loaded with nice little nods to classic Trek Lore. The Cast pull in all the punches in playing these larger than life classic characters. This really is a big budget adaptation to The Original Series and is probably my favorite ST film since The Wrath of Khan.

9.5/10
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    edited May 2013 Posts: 496
    Danger in the Manger with David Tennant 7/10 it was ok then went to see Skyfall two days later.
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    5/5 stars. Love the way it sets up for future films too. We get to take the ride all over again, with what seems like the original cast of characters re-born.
    This re-boot has been extremely well done.
    'The Hangover: Part III'

Overall, it was pretty dull. Couple of chuckles, and it just seemed like Todd wanted to concoct the most outlandish of events and throw them into the film. There was no mystery behind it, the chemistry was lacking, and it led to the worst entry in the trilogy (and probably one of the bigger let-downs of the year thus far, even though I wasn't expecting much.)

'Fast & Furious 6'

This is exactly what I was expecting: great cars, intense action sequences, and lots of unforeseen twists throughout. This film is a lot like 'Fast Five,' only a twist on who the enemy is (no more police or drug dealers, but a rogue military crew), and the action sequences are a lot more unrealistic. But, it makes for some huge nail-biting moments. Great fun, this one. Be sure to stay after the credits for a look at the seventh film.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,341
    "The Great Gatsby"

I was kinda reluctant to see this costumn heavy extravanganza but I did and I actually enjoyed it. I do recall the 1974 version that starred Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.
    I think that Leonardo DiCaprio and the gal who played Daisy were far superior to Redford and Farrow. The mechanic's wife did not seem as prominent in this version as she had in the 1974 version (I think Karen Black played her back then and she is a stronger actress)

The colors, the party atmosphere, the costumns were impressive. These all stuck out in 1974 as well but I think I prefer this version just because of the leads.
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    There's plenty of eye-popping effects and tense set-pieces, but overall it's a pretty vacuous affair.
    6 out of 10
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    "The Great Gatsby"

I was kinda reluctant to see this costumn heavy extravanganza but I did and I actually enjoyed it. I do recall the 1974 version that starred Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.
    I think that Leonardo DiCaprio and the gal who played Daisy were far superior to Redford and Farrow. The mechanic's wife did not seem as prominent in this version as she had in the 1974 version (I think Karen Black played her back then and she is a stronger actress)

The colors, the party atmosphere, the costumns were impressive. These all stuck out in 1974 as well but I think I prefer this version just because of the leads.

What were your thoughts on the soundtrack?
    Hangover 3.

Not brilliant but I enjoyed it. Much better than the second one although it's still nowhere near as good as the first one and there was really no need for any sequels in the first place.

Didn't always work but it was funny and they deserve props for trying something very different to what had came before.

7/10
    I saw 'Star Trek Into Darkness' a few nights ago, which really surprised me, and I watched 'The Purge' tonight, and I thought that movie was excellent. A little slow at first, but it really, really picks up and doesn't stop until the very end. Insane.
    Purge is watchable. That's good to know, because the couple of reviews I've read, have been scathing.
    timmer wrote:
    Purge is watchable. That's good to know, because the couple of reviews I've read, have been scathing.

I enjoyed it for what it was. Most of the fan reviews I've read are quite unsavory, but if you go into it not expecting too much, it's a real blast.
    I just saw 'World War Z,' got a cool Mondo-esque poster for free for seeing it.

The film was grand and epic in scale, with a lot of intense, nail-biting moments and some good scares. The CGI really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but Marc had Matt Chesse on board for editing (same guy from QoS), so there were a few of those incredibly shaky moments where I had no idea what was going on. But, like QoS, perhaps a few more viewings will clue me in. Overall, I really enjoyed this.
    Man of Steel.

Overall I think the movie is overloaded, an impression which might however easily change if I watched it several times.
    All the more so am I positively surprised by Henry Cavill. Never in my life would I have expected such a charismatic Superman from him.
    The casting of both parent couples is also brilliant.
    Just saw 'Man of Steel.' I don't know too much about the world of Superman, so I don't have any complaints in that department, but seeing the film grow from start to finish was truly exciting, and I thought a lot of the acting and scenes were excellent. Great CGI, as well. Didn't think I would enjoy myself as much as I did.
    Man of Steel. What a great film. The ultimate Superman movie IMO. Cavill couldn't have been better. Not being picked for Bond, did provide the silver lining of him being one great Superman.
    Hope he can do as good a job with Uncle.
    timmer wrote:
    Man of Steel. What a great film. The ultimate Superman movie IMO. Cavill couldn't have been better. Not being picked for Bond, did provide the silver lining of him being one great Superman.
    Hope he can do as good a job with Uncle.

Really?! I thought it was bloody awful. A crash, bang, wallop of a film that took itself too seriously and I though Cavill lacked any charisma, I just thought thank god he didn't get the Bond gig! Will not be going to see MoS2, especially if the god awful Zack Snyder is directing it.
    One word review. CRAP.
    Man of Steel: Couldn't imagine a better 2 and a half hours wasted in cinema. Thoroughly entertaining. That's all I ask of such movies. Cavill was quite perfect as Superman. I'd say more engaging than the previous two, yet all three of Reeve, Routh and Cavill play Man of Steel the same way - in a self deprecating almost painfully shy way.
    Cavill at least showed some potential for a little nasty edge, but not too much, as Superman is basically the all-American superhero.
    In fact I thought that angle was teased well, with Cavill declaring his American bonafides to the skeptical general. "I was raised in Kansas" :))
    I think this film sets up for a smart, entertaining stretch of new films, but maybe a little edgier than the old "truth justice and the American Way" - from the old TV series with George Reeve, and not as light as the Christopher Reeve four-pak
    However I wouldn't mind some of that hokey George Reeve '50s Superman sentimentality finding it's way into the modern cinematic Superman.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 5,767
    World War Z.

As troubled as the production was reported to be, the film is a great thriller. Visually of great beauty, it refrained from over-using cheap shock effects, and managed with no problem to keep me pulled into the scenario even hours after I left the cinema. Strong characters all over the board, and I appreciate much that, even though the scenario has a certain end-of-the-world feel to it, it didn´t feel depressing.
    I don´t know why people ridicule Marc Forster, the man makes cool films.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Man of Steel

A fairly large let down for me for a variety of reasons. Could have been cut by at least 30 minutes - and those fight scenes....

It upsets me when movies vomits a 20 minute long CGI battle scene and expect us to be raptured in, but it upsets me more when the special effects cannot even hold up.

5/10