Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013 - present)

edited July 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 645
I've gotta say I didn't think I'd be a fan, but it looks like it could be promising and not to mention a great lead up to Avengers 2. Thoughts?

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Teaser Trailer

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Big fan of Marvel- I will (uncharacteristically these days) give this TV show a try.
    @chrisisall Yeah, normally I wouldn't be interested in a TV series, but I just can't pass this show up. The Marvel Phase 2 is going to be EPIC to say in the least.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I can't wait for this show, simply because I want to know the final answer on how Coulson lived (though a simple "we didn't see him die" can be accepted).
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    A big part of me is really excited but a small part of me thinks it will fail. I hope I'm wrong.
    Happy to see Coulson is back. Who knew such a normal guy could be so loved in a collection of super hero movies?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That's just Clark Gregg's acting.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    As great as this series could be, I dare say it'll turn out average. Let's hope it works! Hopefully lots of tie-ins with the films too, as it goes along.
  • Two shots from Paris' center in this teaser (including one where cars are not allowed anymore :) ). I can't remember SHIELD having anything to do in Paris in the old comics !
    Now, I wonder if we'll have cameos or even full-on episodes involving one or more of the Avengers, later on in the series.
    If that happens the show will do very well!
    I don't think it should happen until after the show has established itself as a fantastic series. It should basically be "Well, this week, we're not only giving you the outstanding cast of Agents of SHIELD, but you're also getting IRON MAN!", and not "We're gonna use Robert Downey Junior as a crutch this week!"
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 3,564
    I don't think we'll be seeing the A-level characters here. It'll be more on the order of screen try-outs for Marvel's B and C list heroes. After all, they've got plenty of those! The one character we've seen advance photos of --and who has subsequently been officially identified-- was Rage, an Avengers wanna-be from the '90s.

BTW, my guess for how Coulson lived through the movie is simple: he was never in any danger at all! His "death" was all a ploy by Nick Fury to trick the individual Avengers (none of whom were getting along well at that point, but each of whom had reasons to like Coulson) into working together.

And finally: S.H.I.E.L.D. was indeed an international organization in the Marvel Comics of the '60s. The focus on Nick Fury tended to obscure that fact, since he was based in New York (as were ALL of the Marvel heroes at that time) -- but hey! The acronym at that time stood for "Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division!" You'd better BELIEVE they had an office in Paris!
    BTW, my guess for how Coulson lived through the movie is simple: he was never in any danger at all! His "death" was all a ploy by Nick Fury to trick the individual Avengers (none of whom were getting along well at that point, but each of whom had reasons to like Coulson) into working together.

Well, the sour point there being that he was stabbed. I just think it'll be as simple as this: when the medics took Coulson, Fury ordered them not to say anything as he transmitted that Coulson was dead, he then took the Captain America cards from Coulson's locker (he's probably pissed that they're covered in blood now, and no longer mint), put blood on them (the blood is still reasonably fresh, despite the fact that Cap and Iron Man have had enough time to get out of their gear and return to the bridge), and then they stowed Coulson away in an isolated part of the infirmary so that no one except Fury and some of the medics knew about it. Thus, Coulson simply passed out in the Hulk Cage room, and he was being fixed up the whole time the Avengers were kicking ass in New York.
    And finally: S.H.I.E.L.D. was indeed an international organization in the Marvel Comics of the '60s. The focus on Nick Fury tended to obscure that fact, since he was based in New York (as were ALL of the Marvel heroes at that time) -- but hey! The acronym at that time stood for "Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division!" You'd better BELIEVE they had an office in Paris!

SHIELD in the films, however, seems to be almost directly based on the Ultimate Marvel version of the organization, which is based solely in the US, and has since branched out across the world. Thus Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.
  • Even more Paris in this trailer (and not all as obvious as the Eiffel Tower shot !, there are at least 4 different places). That shows TV show shooting is a whole different thing than movie shooting : it really went under the radar here to my knowledge !
    I don't think we'll be seeing the A-level characters here. It'll be more on the order of screen try-outs for Marvel's B and C list heroes. After all, they've got plenty of those!

This was my thought as well. The show should go one full season without having any of the A-level heroes. That way we can get to know the characters without any big name coming in and out shinning the cast. It's also a good way to find out if the show can last without the most popular characters.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    The second series would end in May 2015, right around the time the next Avengers comes out so I'd bet on some build up to the film in the TV Series then. Until that time, it's best to focus on it's own characters, I agree.
    It looks like Marvel's version of Torchwood... It does look pretty good and I'll definitely give it a chance.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wonder if Coulson was cloned or something.
    Murdock wrote:
    I wonder if Coulson was cloned or something.

It's S.H.I.E.L.D. LMDs (Life Model Decoys) are always a possibility
    SHIELD in the films, however, seems to be almost directly based on the Ultimate Marvel version of the organization, which is based solely in the US, and has since branched out across the world. Thus Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.

Hard to say. The film versions of Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and the Hulk are far more reminiscent of the classic Marvel characters than they are of the "Ultimate" universe. Why should S.H.I.E.L.D. be any different?

@Murdock I was wondering the same thing, but I read somewhere in the end of Avengers where he was stabbed, it was digitally taken out to not look as bad in the DVD version, I guess for this purpose.

Hard to say. The film versions of Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and the Hulk are far more reminiscent of the classic Marvel characters than they are of the "Ultimate" universe. Why should S.H.I.E.L.D. be any different?

Actually, Cap and Iron Man are almost direct translations of the Ultimate works, though Cap is given a little bit of doubt in the US in The Avengers, as opposed to Ultimate Cap, who threw on his new uniform in a second, basically; and Tony, while he has the heart problem from the normal universe, has the same drunken-but-still-totally-sober playboy act as the Ultimate Tony Stark. The Hulk is a cross between the two, because it was gamma radiation that turned him into the Hulk, but Bruce Banner was trying to replicate Cap's super soldier serum, which is what turned him into the Hulk in the Ultimate books.

The Cinematic Universe is, to me, a combination between the classic universe and the Ultimate universe.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Looks alright but doesn't look very original or interesting. Still, Avengers and Iron Man were really good (I haven't seen the others) so maybe I'll check it out.
    Agent005 wrote:
    It looks like Marvel's version of Torchwood

Except less sex, less Welshness and less killing off the main characters.
  • Looks alright but doesn't look very original or interesting. Still, Avengers and Iron Man were really good (I haven't seen the others) so maybe I'll check it out.
    Agent005 wrote:
    It looks like Marvel's version of Torchwood

Except less sex, less Welshness and less killing off the main characters.

With Joss Whedon behind the wheel you can never be too sure of that last one!
    looks underwhelming to me
  • Now does Marvel hold the TV licensing (not film) over the Spiderman/X-Men Characters? Because that is surely one way to fit those guys in on the Avengers universe and take advantage of more than just small "cameos" :-?
    I think TV rights are the same as film rights.
    Actually, Cap and Iron Man are almost direct translations of the Ultimate works, though Cap is given a little bit of doubt in the US in The Avengers, as opposed to Ultimate Cap, who threw on his new uniform in a second, basically; and Tony, while he has the heart problem from the normal universe, has the same drunken-but-still-totally-sober playboy act as the Ultimate Tony Stark. The Hulk is a cross between the two, because it was gamma radiation that turned him into the Hulk, but Bruce Banner was trying to replicate Cap's super soldier serum, which is what turned him into the Hulk in the Ultimate books.

The Cinematic Universe is, to me, a combination between the classic universe and the Ultimate universe.

Umm...not really. The "Ultimate Iron Man" book from a few years back showed a VERY different origin to that universe's Tony Stark. It's not surprising that the movie universe is going to mix&match the most enduring motifs from a variety of portrayals when using a long-standing character --happens with Bond all the time!-- but the Marvel Cinematic universe is pretty clearly based most strongly on the classic (that is, 1960s) incarnations of those characters.

Umm...not really. The "Ultimate Iron Man" book from a few years back showed a VERY different origin to that universe's Tony Stark. It's not surprising that the movie universe is going to mix&match the most enduring motifs from a variety of portrayals when using a long-standing character --happens with Bond all the time!-- but the Marvel Cinematic universe is pretty clearly based most strongly on the classic (that is, 1960s) incarnations of those characters.

And both "Ultimate Iron Man" limited series were debunked as being a cartoon that Stark Industries set up, according to Ultimate Avengers Vs. New Ultimates.
  • I think I'll stick with the version that's never NEEDED to be debunked -- the stuff created by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby (with help from folks like Steve Ditko & Don Heck,) thank you.
    Yeah, I wish Disney would just buy out the rights to X-Men and Spider-Man so we can see a helluva Avengers 3. Come on Disney, use some of that Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar money, give the fans what they want.