'bane' like villain in a future daniel craig bond movie??

Comments

• Risico007 wrote:
    honestly I never saw the bourne franchise not because I hate bourne but wasn't a fan of Damon hence why I now own and love Legacy due to Renner.

You don't know what you're missing. I felt the same i wasn't a Damon fan at the time but he won me over. He's a legend now. I hated that abortion of a Bourne film plus Renner just hasn't got that amout of kick assery and vulnerabilty that Damon had. Best Trilogy along with Nolan's Batman films.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 136
    Bane is perhaps a bit too comic book (then again, Jaws!) for Bond..certainly Craig.

On the other hand, I really think the opening sky-jack sequence is the greatest PTS Bond never had! It's thrilling.
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    They should bring back Jaws but dont who would play him dont think anyone could replace Richard Kiel.
    Bane is perhaps a bit too comic book (then again, Jaws!) for Bond..certainly Craig.

On the other hand, I really think the opening sky-jack sequence is the greatest PTS Bond never had! It's thrilling.

Bane is less comic bookish than Jaws I think, at least depicted by Nolan. But the villain that does not feel pain has been done before and a bit too often (with good to mixed results). Some aspects of Bane could be imported in a Bond's villain, henchman or maybe even main baddie: massive, ruthless and to the point in hand to hand combat, mercenary.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

LTK pts says hi.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    forget Bane, let's have another Sanchez type villain.
    Bane was a poor character in the last Batman movie, he was reduced to a henchman in the movie and failed really to impress anybody.

Compared to Jaws he was really a poor copy. Kudo's to Richard Kiel, a very nice and friendly person to talk to and meet.

All this comparing the recent 007 movies with the Batman frachise reflects poor on the EON franchise as they are quality wise superiour to the recent output of the Nolan movies concerning a Bat. imho
    QBranch wrote:
    I agree Craig needs a physically intimidating henchman or villain to square off against. There's plenty of inspiration out there.

Like William Riker used to say: "I wholeheartedly concur".
    I rather have a bunch of profesional people trying to stop Bond than one so-called superbaddie.
    SaintMark wrote:
    I rather have a bunch of profesional people trying to stop Bond than one so-called superbaddie.

I don't think anyone wants a comic book supervillain when they say they want a Bane-like character in a Bond movie, simply that they want a villain with some of the characteristics of Bane.
    Ludovico wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I don't think anyone wants a comic book supervillain when they say they want a Bane-like character in a Bond movie, simply that they want a villain with some of the characteristics of Bane.

that was kinda shyte in TDKR so why repeat it in the 007 series?

SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

that was kinda shyte in TDKR so why repeat it in the 007 series?

I actually enjoyed TDKR, not as much as the previous two Nolan Batman and the movie had its flaws, but still a solid action movie, and Bane was certainly menacing (even though his demise was anticlimactic). A massive, cruel thug who could easily crush Bond physically and has for motivation to do exactly this, could work very well. Obviously he could not be too close to Bane, so people wouldn't drew parallels. Many made one between Silva ad the Joker, so this is obviously a risk.
    He needs to fight a gnarly henchman. Yes sir!
    but don't copy the batman formula and have him break bonds back or anything like that, come up with a new story .

Too late.
    Perdogg wrote:
    but don't copy the batman formula and have him break bonds back or anything like that, come up with a new story .

Too late.

Quid?
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,341
    Bond has had lots of bizaare looking villains and some who were the physical equal of Bond. I must admit in Craig's fights he seems to win easily as he has yet to meet a villian who is actually his equal. He has great fights (Obanno and his associate in CR, the terrorist at the airport in CR, and of course the two fights with Patrice in SF.... but all these men were lower rung bad guys and not the main heavy.

I was hoping SF would treat us to a big fight with Javier Bardem but we never saw this.

We never seem to get both, the bizaare look and the physical skills wtih Craig's Bond.
    The time is ripe.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned it somewhere else but I'd like to see Craig clash with a formidable henchman. Not necessarily a Hulkish character but perhaps Jason Statham or someone else that can rival Craig's physicality. I loved that nasty fight between Bond and Slate in QOS and I'd like to see that brutality brought back in Bond 24.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Bond has had lots of bizaare looking villains and some who were the physical equal of Bond. I must admit in Craig's fights he seems to win easily as he has yet to meet a villian who is actually his equal. He has great fights (Obanno and his associate in CR, the terrorist at the airport in CR, and of course the two fights with Patrice in SF.... but all these men were lower rung bad guys and not the main heavy.

I was hoping SF would treat us to a big fight with Javier Bardem but we never saw this.

We never seem to get both, the bizaare look and the physical skills wtih Craig's Bond.
    The time is ripe.

About Silva, while Bardem could have played a villain that is a formidable physical opponent, as his background was of a computer expert, not an operative, it was more believable to make him die this way. But yes, the time is ripe, not only for a physical equal to Bond, but to a physically superior adversary.
    I guess in all fairness, the formula that has been in place since GF, has always called for Bond to have his big fight with the villain's henchman and not necessarily the main villain.
    Oddjob in GF
    Tee Hee in LALD
    Necros in TLD
    Stamper in TND
    Renaud in TWINE
    Just to name a few. A brutal fight with the main heavy would be "radical". The fight with the knife whelding Kanaga in LALD is one of the few times we were treated to a real fight with the main bad-guy.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I guess in all fairness, the formula that has been in place since GF, has always called for Bond to have his big fight with the villain's henchman and not necessarily the main villain.
    Oddjob in GF
    Tee Hee in LALD
    Necros in TLD
    Stamper in TND
    Renaud in TWINE
    Just to name a few. A brutal fight with the main heavy would be "radical". The fight with the knife whelding Kanaga in LALD is one of the few times we were treated to a real fight with the main bad-guy.

That and of course the Max Zorin axe set-to with James Bond atop the Golden Gate Bridge overlooking San Francisco. Such fights with the main villain were sadly very uncommon during the less-physical James Bond depicted in the Roger Moore Era (1973-1985).
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Oddjob in GF
    Tee Hee in LALD
    Necros in TLD
    Stamper in TND
    Renaud in TWINE

There is also a fight against Largo in TB, against Blofeld in OHMSS, against Trevelyan in GE, against Zorin in AVTAK (as Dragonpol pointed out). And before all this, in DN, against Dr No. And Renard may have been labeled as a "henchman" by Michael Apted, but that is not so obvious in the movie.

That said, I am all in favour of a mano a mano fight with a big baddie, as long as he is not another Grant clone. Don't make him blond and Aryan looking.
    Yes, we've had enough of the Grant clones, certainly. As one Bond film book suggests, there must have been a factory in the Eastern Bloc churning them out on an assembly line! Originality (Elvis, anyone?) is the way to go and it's indeed the way things are going in the Craig Era.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Yes, we've had enough of the Grant clones, certainly. As one Bond film book suggests, there must have been a factory in the Eastern Bloc churning them out on an assembly line! Originality (Elvis, anyone?) is the way to go and it's indeed the way things are going in the Craig Era.

Funny there were plenty of Grant clones (and like all clones lesser characters in their own right) and not many, heck not ANY Oddjob clones. That's what I liked about Tee Hee in LALD, he was an original henchman, a physical challenge for Bond but not like the ones we had seen before. Jaws was too much of a caricature for me to truly appreciate him, especially since he turned into a farce (and a good guy) in MR.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Funny there were plenty of Grant clones (and like all clones lesser characters in their own right) and not many, heck not ANY Oddjob clones. That's what I liked about Tee Hee in LALD, he was an original henchman, a physical challenge for Bond but not like the ones we had seen before. Jaws was too much of a caricature for me to truly appreciate him, especially since he turned into a farce (and a good guy) in MR.

I suppose that the Oriental Chang in Moonraker was an Oddjob-type, as was the muscle-bound Sandor in The Spy Who Loved Me beforehand.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I suppose that the Oriental Chang in Moonraker was an Oddjob-type, as was the muscle-bound Sandor in The Spy Who Loved Me beforehand.

But they are barely there. Sandor does not come off as an overly challenging adversary and Chang is just second fiddle to Jaws. And anyway, they are both fairly different to Oddjob.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,341
    The list of blond heavies was constantly growing in the Bond franchise. Piz Gloria was crawling with these Aryans, not to mention Stamper, Necros, Hans from YOLT, it must have gotten old prior to the Craig era.

Chang was not Oddob. Oddjob was a big hulking muscle bound muther, while Chang is more of a Bruce Lee type. Panther-like physique and a martial arts expert. I actually liked him and found him the most menacing henchman in both MR and TSWLM combined.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    The list of blond heavies was constantly growing in the Bond franchise. Piz Gloria was crawling with these Aryans, not to mention Stamper, Necros, Hans from YOLT, it must have gotten old prior to the Craig era.

Chang was not Oddob. Oddjob was a big hulking muscle bound muther, while Chang is more of a Bruce Lee type. Panther-like physique and a martial arts expert. I actually liked him and found him the most menacing henchman in both MR and TSWLM combined.

Thinking about it a Chang-like henchman could work too. I am more in favour of a massive henchman, slow but deadly in cheer strength alone, but I wouldn't mind a Chang henchman showing up at some point.
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Yes, well as one Bond film book noted, he certainly looked incongrous in Venice in his judo outfit. I can;'t argue with that, certainly.

Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Sorry but I'm always annoyed by this common complaint against Jaws. It happens with like ten mins left in the film. What's the big deal? He has a character arc! For a Bond henchman this is unheard and singular. I think its awesome and in the context of the film, makes a ton of sense.

How is he a farce? He's scary as hell.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Sorry but I'm always annoyed by this common complaint against Jaws. It happens with like ten mins left in the film. What's the big deal? He has a character arc! For a Bond henchman this is unheard and singular. I think its awesome and in the context of the film, makes a ton of sense.

How is he a farce? He's scary as hell.

Maybe farce is not quite the right word, I never liked Jaws's funny faces. He does get scary sometimes. But turning him into a good guy was just a poor choice, whatever the arc. It takes away a dangerous badguy, and based on what? Imagine Tee Hee, Oddjob or Grant turning side because they got lovestruck.