Pierce Brosnan backs first black James Bond

Comments

I recall Brosnan also backing Colin Farrell for Bond, even going as far as to say something along the lines that Farrell would eat the heads of (or off) the other candidates. It's comforting to know that cannibalism is a prerequisite for all Bond candidates.

Didn't Brosnan back up the idea of Ewan McGregor when his name around? He seems to agree with every single casting idea. Colin Farrell as Bond? Yes, sure, he is a great actor. Colin Salmon? Yes sure, he has the charisma and he would be the first Black Bond.

Not sure if he isn't for the codename theory too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ludovico wrote:
    He would really be crazy for supporting that theory, but I'm sure Pierce is smarter than that.

DarthDimi wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    He would really be crazy for supporting that theory, but I'm sure Pierce is smarter than that.

I was joking of course. What I means is that it often seems Brosnan agrees with whatever idea is thrown around. That must have been true during shooting too, I mean he didn't seem to complain about the invisible car.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ludovico wrote:
    I was joking of course. What I means is that it often seems Brosnan agrees with whatever idea is thrown around. That must have been true during shooting too, I mean he didn't seem to complain about the invisible car.

Perhaps not in public but it's rather well-known that Pierce wanted a more serious Bond film, possibly a correct adaptation of CR. So I can see him struggling with the DAD script though. ;-)

• Bond is British and white. End of story. It's one thing for him not to have dark hair, Moore was the first not to and how quickly people forget that in their rush to criticize a blond Craig, but this notion is more PC bullshit. Most black people I know who are Bond fans wouldn't want this and would call BS on it. What's next, should we have Shaft and Kunta Kinte played by white guys? How about an Asian guy? Please, lock this redundant and stupid thread up.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Bond is British and white. End of story. It's one thing for him not to have dark hair, Moore was the first not to and how quickly people forget that in their rush to criticize a blond Craig, but this notion is more PC bullshit. Most black people I know who are Bond fans wouldn't want this and would call BS on it. What's next, should we have Shaft and Kunta Kinte played by white guys? How about an Asian guy? Please, lock this redundant and stupid thread up.

Couldnt have said it any better myself. This debate is like the sodding Terminator in that it refuses to die and once every couple of months we have to endure it all again. Its a bollocks idea - always has been, always will be.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,882
    Ludovico wrote:
    I recall Brosnan also backing Colin Farrell for Bond, even going as far as to say something along the lines that Farrell would eat the heads of (or off) the other candidates. It's comforting to know that cannibalism is a prerequisite for all Bond candidates.

Didn't Brosnan back up the idea of Ewan McGregor when his name around? He seems to agree with every single casting idea. Colin Farrell as Bond? Yes, sure, he is a great actor. Colin Salmon? Yes sure, he has the charisma and he would be the first Black Bond.

Pierce Brosnan, like a wrench, his opinions are adjustable. ;)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 3,275
    Personally, I think the next Bond should be Indian, Persian or Chinese. That would make perfect sense to me, seeing as this is a new era, and nothing to do with what Fleming wrote. Modern audiences are crying out for a black Bond, or an Indian Bond. It's so obvious, and furthermore, there are no decent English white actors left on the market in the UK. Salmon is the best we have on offer.

Brosnan has hit the nail firmly on the head with his highly intelligent insight. He certainly knows his Fleming. Just take a look at his movies. His word is gospel when it comes to Bond.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Personally, I think the next Bond should be Indian, Persian or Chinese. That would make perfect sense to me, seeing as this is a new era, and nothing to do with what Fleming wrote. Modern audiences are crying out for a black Bond, or an Indian Bond. It's so obvious, and furthermore, there are no decent English white actors left on the market in the UK. Salmon is the best we have on offer.

Brosnan has hit the nail firmly on the head with his highly intelligent insight. He certainly knows his Fleming. Just take a look at his movies. His word is gospel when it comes to Bond.

Thankyou that's the best laugh I've had all day!!.
    Mrcoggins wrote:

Thankyou that's the best laugh I've had all day!!.
    You're welcome.....

;)
  • Personally, I think the next Bond should be Indian, Persian or Chinese. That would make perfect sense to me, seeing as this is a new era, and nothing to do with what Fleming wrote. Modern audiences are crying out for a black Bond, or an Indian Bond. It's so obvious, and furthermore, there are no decent English white actors left on the market in the UK. Salmon is the best we have on offer.

=)) Awesome Willy, just awesome.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

You are the master at your craft, Mr. Willy. :))
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Brosnan isn't the only one.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/11/07/daniel-craig-were-ready-for-a-black-bond-117898/

Just putting this out there seeing as lots of the people having a go at Brosnan for this are some of the biggest Craig fans on the site.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

That was a complete joke. :))
  • As is this premise we have to endure every several months here. I still think any subsequent thread mentioning this asinine idea should be immediately locked up.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    This whole 'should Bond be black' topic is a troll. If we stop feeding it it will die.
    Otherwise it will go on and on and on.

Forever.
    Brosnan isn't the only one.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/11/07/daniel-craig-were-ready-for-a-black-bond-117898/

Just putting this out there seeing as lots of the people having a go at Brosnan for this are some of the biggest Craig fans on the site.

I don't think any Bond actor, past or present, can say that a Black Bond would be a bad idea. But Colin Salmon? I mean, he was Robinson! And now he is in his fifties! Should I suggest Tobias Menzies as Craig's successor? Or Adrian Paul? (And I know Brosnan may not have said this recently. I sure hope he did not!)
    I'm pretty sure he didn't say this recently.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This is just another 'black Bond' thread that always seems to be closed, so what's this doing open? It never leads anywhere. Why not open up another 'gay Bond' or 'female Bond' thread? It produces the same result.
  • That's not gonna happen,it's just talk lets get real , I'm black and I don't even want to Black Bond so let's just have fun with those that feel that this is something that they want it'll never happen!!!! (-:
  • If it's true the it sounds like Pierce might looking for some work in Hollywood or elsewhere by trying to be damn "politically correct". Bond has a Scottish father and a Swiss mother. He's a white guy. End of story.

A few years back Sean Combs said "I want to be the first black Bond"; figures he's in line for the part after Daniel Craig because of Obama, and spent $750,000 making an audition tape. Well if that happens I want to see Gwyneth Paltrow play Martin Luther King Jr. Why? Because both would be equally preposterous. Maybe Pierce Brosnan could play Jesse Jackson.
    I'm pretty sure if it was suggested that Shaft should be white it would cause utter outrage, don't know why this keeps popping up!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 7,567
    Taffin wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9991891/Pierce-Brosnan-backs-first-black-James-Bond.html

He said: "I've always thrown Colin Salmon's name in the mix. He's somebody I have worked with closely over the years. He would be outstanding and I think it would be absolutely essential."

Not familiar with Salmon's work outside of his Bond appearances, but I think it would be cool to have a black Bond after Craig!

"I've always thrown Colin Salmon's name in the mix. He's somebody I have worked with closely over the years. He would be outstanding and I think it would be absolutely essential to, one day, have a Black 007."

Brosnan isn't necessarilly suggesting Salmon for Bond in this interview. @Taffin's quote is cut a little short and misses off 7 essential words.
    Can't see this ever happening!
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 8
    Colin Salmon could never be Bond on screen for reasons of public acceptance, but AFAIK he nailed it in the screen tests with all the potential Bond girls during Brosnan's tenure, hence Brosnan's (and Sam Bond's) ongoing endorsement, and anyway he's too old now.

Think he would have been a perfect fit for 'M', and the door should still be open for him in that role.

They've gone with Fiennes for now though, but there's no reason why he shouldn't retire in future.....
    NicNac wrote:
    Taffin wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9991891/Pierce-Brosnan-backs-first-black-James-Bond.html

He said: "I've always thrown Colin Salmon's name in the mix. He's somebody I have worked with closely over the years. He would be outstanding and I think it would be absolutely essential."

Not familiar with Salmon's work outside of his Bond appearances, but I think it would be cool to have a black Bond after Craig!

"I've always thrown Colin Salmon's name in the mix. He's somebody I have worked with closely over the years. He would be outstanding and I think it would be absolutely essential to, one day, have a Black 007."

Brosnan isn't necessarilly suggesting Salmon for Bond in this interview. @Taffin's quote is cut a little short and misses off 7 essential words.

Not sure if it doesn't mean Brosnan thinks of Colin Salmon still for a future Bond. If it was the case, it is a ridiculous idea. It is like if I was advocating Ray Lonnen. Hey, he would have been great to succeed to Roger Moore for FYEO!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    What if a black actor played Bond, and they used CGI to make him appear to be white?
    The producers always try to make a balance with race and gender. Judi Dench added a female direction to M. With Fiennes taking over as M, Moneypenny had to be brought back to keep a female presence, and the producers made her black too. I'm willing to bet that, when Skyfall was being cast, they were looking for specifically a black female to play Moneypenny.

Bond will remain the same.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I'm willing to bet that, when Skyfall was being cast, they were looking for specifically a black female to play Moneypenny.

It's been said, so take it how you want, that EON were only ever looking for the best female actor to play the part.

If you want to pull the black card, why bother? They already have Felix.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm willing to bet that, when Skyfall was being cast, they were looking for specifically a black female to play Moneypenny.

It's been said, see take it how you want, that EON were only ever looking for the best female actor to play the part.

If you want to pull the black card, why bother? They already have Felix.

Makes sense. My only objection to Naomie Harris becoming Moneypenny is that she is way too sexy for the role.