Which Actor has best résumé?

edited April 2013 in Actors Posts: 479
which actor who has ever starred in a bond film has the best acting portfolio or résumé if you like?résumé

Mine would be Christopher Lee, he's done it all, Hammer horror, Lord of The Rings, Star Wars and many more, he is also the actor with (apparently) the most acting credits ever, a startling achievement. Now I want to hear your opinions.

BTW, you can include Bond films, TV series, video games etc. any media at all that this actor/actress has had a role

Comments

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Tim Dalton. He was an accomplished theatre actor and was in numerous films prior to Bond. Christopher Lee was great as well.
    I think maybe Robert Shaw. That's the one that comes from the top of my head. He was certainly the most accomplished artist, being also a novelist.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I think maybe Robert Shaw. That's the one that comes from the top of my head. He was certainly the most accomplished artist, being also a novelist.

Definitely one I forgot about, Jaws, Taking of Pelham 123, he really played a great villain/antihero character, it's a shame he died at a reasonably young age when there was so many more roles I presume he could have given.

Tim Dalton. He was an accomplished theatre actor and was in numerous films prior to Bond. Christopher Lee was great as well.

Pardon me Christopher Lee is great and is as close as you get to being a legendary actor.

In comparison Timothy Dalton is an able actor albeit lacking a really succesfull movie in his resume.

I think that Lee is indeed one of the most ............... wait for it .............. legendary actors to ever visit the Bondfranchise and while the series has had a great many talented actors and actrices he remains in a league of his own. Perhaps the only actor in that category is Sean Connery the one actor to become a movie star after he left the 007 franchise.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Don't get me wrong I like Christopher Lee but is he really an all time great? His body of work is largely mediocre (lets face it the Hammer films for which he is most renowned are pretty trashy). The only bons fide masterpiece I can remember him being in is The Wicker Man.

If we're talking serious acting CVs then hes way behind Shaw, Walken, Dench, Fiennes and Finney.
  • Don't get me wrong I like Christopher Lee but is he really an all time great? His body of work is largely mediocre (lets face it the Hammer films for which he is most renowned are pretty trashy). The only bons fide masterpiece I can remember him being in is The Wicker Man.

If we're talking serious acting CVs then hes way behind Shaw, Walken, Dench, Fiennes and Finney.
    Well, he's been in just about everything. Hammer Horror, Sherlock Holmes, Star Wars, Bond, Lord of The Rings. Seriously, if it's a major franchise, he's probably been in it at some point or another.

Connery's not too shabby either. Being the James Bond is obviously very big, as is being Indiana Jones's father, and winning an Academy Award and an AFI Lifetime Achievement. Some of his other movies aren't too shabby either, like The Longest Day (which I must take this opportunity to point out is objectively the manliest movie ever because it has both Sean Connery and John Wayne), The Hill, A Bridge too Far, and The Rock.

edited April 2013 Posts: 9,117

Well, he's been in just about everything. Hammer Horror, Sherlock Holmes, Star Wars, Bond, Lord of The Rings. Seriously, if it's a major franchise, he's probably been in it at some point or another.

Hmm. The Hammer films are fun but hardly great exemplars of the cinematic art, hes not going to be remembered in the same breath as Rathbone, Brett and Cumberbatch for his Holmes portrayal, hes in the worst Star Wars films and one of the worst Bonds. Not a fan of LOTR but I suppose you could say they are classics but Lees career seems more quantity over quality to me. Granted hes been in every franchise possible - Dracula, Frankenstein, Holmes, Bond, Star Wars, LOTR but I dont really think hes ever been in any real danger of winning an Oscar has he?
    Connery's not too shabby either. Being the James Bond is obviously very big, as is being Indiana Jones's father, and winning an Academy Award and an AFI Lifetime Achievement. Some of his other movies aren't too shabby either, like The Longest Day (which I must take this opportunity to point out is objectively the manliest movie ever because it has both Sean Connery and John Wayne), The Hill, A Bridge too Far, and The Rock.

Yeah I suppose you could add Connery to the list but I'm not having The Longest Day. A great film but to say he 'starred' in it is almost punishable under the trades descriptions act. He appears for about 2 minutes in total (in a 3 hour film) and has about 3 lines.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'd say Connery, Lee and Walken.

I actually haven't seen Lee in much. I haven't seen Star Wars or Lord Of The Rings but they've done really well. I do like the Hammer movies though.

I found out something interesting about Lee the other day. He turned down Loomis in Halloween, and he later said that it was the biggest regret of his career.

So Loomis was almost played by Scaramanga but ended up being played by Blofeld.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sean Connery, Dame Judi, Albert Finney and Giancarlo Giannini all come to mind.

Sean is in so many ways the ultimate powerhouse star. You would be hard pressed to meet someone who doesn't know who he is or hasn't seen many of his most iconic roles, from 007 himself to Henry Sr. and Jim Malone.
    I'll say Connery, Dench, Fiennes, Finney, Walken and Lee.
    Good call that of Giannini @0Brady! Also I believe that Pedro Armendáriz was very popular in Mexico.
  • While we're at it, I don't think anybody's mentioned John Cleese. Being a part of the defining British comedy troupe and making two of the funniest movies ever with them is no small accomplishment, as is making one of the greatest sitcoms of all time and showing up in James Bond, Harry Potter, and Shrek (when it was actually good).
    I still think Robert Shaw as an actor was maybe the best one, he did not play in as many films as Christopher Lee but did he ever play in a poor movie or gave a lazy performance, even once, in his career?
  • Javier Bardem, Judi Dench, Christopher Lee, Ralph Fiennes all have the best resume.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 479
    Ludovico wrote:
    I still think Robert Shaw as an actor was maybe the best one, he did not play in as many films as Christopher Lee but did he ever play in a poor movie or gave a lazy performance, even once, in his career?

I agree that Shaw was the best actor and comes second on my list, personally I think his best performance was Jaws. I was appalled that he wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, the academy used to have real grudges against Sci-Fi and Horror films (except in the special effects and sound awards).

• edited April 2013 Posts: 546
    1.Pierce Brosnan
    2.Sean Connery
    3.Dame Judi Dench
    4.Sir Timothy Dalton
    5.Christopher Lee
    6.Robert Shaw

Just to name a few.
    If CR67 counts I'd like to nominate David Niven, Peter Sellers, Orson Welles and Woody Allen. John Huston as the director with the best resume.

Jeez, what a cast - how could they stuff it up so badly!!

1.Pierce Brosnan
    2.Sean Connery
    3.Dame Judi Dench
    4.Sir Timothy Dalton
    5.Christopher Lee
    6.Robert Shaw

Just to name a few.

Brozza top of the pile! Priceless.

I would ask 'are you his agent or something?' but even his agent doesn't labour under such delusion.