James Bond's Flat Design

edited March 2013 in Fan Creations Posts: 5
Hi,

I'm a student in interior design and for my end-of-year project, I am looking at designing James Bond's flat. The idea came from Skyfall: when back in London, James Bond reports for duty in M's house and then M tells him they sold his flat and he has to stay in a hotel...
Due to the popular interest in James Bond, I thought involving fans and gathering your opinions in a survey as part of my research would be a great addition to my project. You will of course be credited in my final work if any of your ideas are used. I am planning on posting some of my design work here too, once I get to this stage, so you can see the progress.

Please would you take part in my survey linked below:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PMBYB5V

It will only take you a couple of minutes.

Thank you in advance for your contribution :)

Comments

• edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Good idea. I finished your survey although my idea of his flat was pretty vague. Good luck with this :)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I'd base it on what his flat looked like in Dr. No

http://images.wikia.com/jamesbond/images/f/f4/James_Bond's_flat_(Dr._No).jpg
    That certainly is a sharp looking room- I may have to steal that color scheme
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Bond's flat survey? Done.
    Good luck with your project, sport!
  • Done. Would like to see you publish your results here when the survey is complete. Cheers.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Done!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Completed the survey. Hope it goes well.
    To quote myself:

"My assessment is of Bond's flat of today, in the modern time period. A small flat, 700 - 1,200 square feet. 1 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom. Bathroom has one sink, shower and tub separate. Two towels on the rack - one to soak up most of the water, and the last to completely dry. Cheap shampoo, straight razor and horse-hair cream brush. No laundry basket - loads laundry directly into machine until ready to wash. Open concept kitchen and living space. Moderate sized television. 3-seat couch, two chairs on either side of a large window; two large book cases. Old wood floors, unpolished. Cream -to- brown walls with not much variation. Wood-burning fire place; gas stove. No dining table; he'll eat at the counter top bar (with appropriate cabinetry for a functional bar). Bedroom contains chest of drawers inside an open-concept closet. Only sheets on the bed -no comforter. Near-opaque curtains, as Bond likes to awake early in company of the sunrise. Bond has a garage. Inside includes basic mechanic tools in tool-shelf. A polished, battleship-grey Jaguar or Land Rover (again, based on Bond's flat of today). "
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    A polished, battleship-grey Jaguar or Land Rover (again, based on Bond's flat of today). "

They do still make Bentleys and Astons today y'know ;)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Very interesting. Done the survey, I´d like to see your work in the future...
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Done! Here's what I wrote: 'I imagine Bond's home to be much like a hotel room- no pets of course; the home must be in such a way that it can be left at any time, as Bond would likely rarely even be there.

I bet most attention goes to his bedroom ;)'

*Damn, forgot to mention that Bond must have an impressive bar in the living room or elsewhere
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    No laundry basket - loads laundry directly into machine until ready to wash.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1gUKgTqi5OfdAOC1tqvPniFpTHFvMDphKf4lvhvpaCWA6EiYrfg
    WHY HAVE I NOT BEEN DOING THAT MY WHOLE LIFE????
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    A polished, battleship-grey Jaguar or Land Rover (again, based on Bond's flat of today). "

But not on a government employee's budget.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I'm assuming you're talking about Flemings Bond (except in the modern day), so fair enough.

If it was film Bond he'd probably have the Aston, like in SF.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 5,745
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I'm assuming you're talking about Flemings Bond (except in the modern day), so fair enough.

If it was film Bond he'd probably have the Aston, like in SF.

I think many of us agree that he won that Aston off of Dimitrios from CR, and didn't pay for it. He may have paid for the modifications, but he also may have had Q branch work that up for a mission we didn't see. The cars he has in the films always come from MI6, he doesn't buy them.. because he can't afford them. Hence the 'do be careful..'.
    Just took it. Interesting idea.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I seem to recall reading about Bond's "adjusted income" in the mid- or late-90s. Someone had said that allowing for inflation and cost of living increases, what Fleming described Bond earning (from both his estate and his salary) would have been almost $150,000 American. This was also supplemented by winnings from gambling. Which would support what Dalton said of him - Bond doesn't spend his money on a large number of items but on some key things that are important to him (Fleming describes him wearing some suits that were wearing out from age and having luggage that was battered).

And IIRC his Bentley was bought with an inheritance that was left to him from an uncle...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I thought the Bentley was his dad's car? It has been a while since I read Fleming, and I think he mentions the inheritance in Moonraker. It could be the uncle though, no doubt, and I just heard it wrong.
    Doesn't sound like someone who would dish out 200K+ for a car though. And we're also assuming Bond would be payed at the same rate back then as he would be now, which I doubt. I guarantee you government salaries have likely overall lowered, especially since the end of the cold war. Like I said, I think the Aston in SF was won in CR, and the Bentley in the books was inherited. He could inherit an Aston or Bentley in the modern day.. but I assumed a car he bought on his salary when creating my summary.
    The Bentley was his uncles, it details how he got it in the first Young Bond book.
    The inheritance comes from Uncle Bruce in John Gardner's ROLE OF HONOUR.
    And you don't leave laundry in the machine for a week until you wash it. It breeds mold and damp. Although I can see Daniel Craig's Bond doing it because he look stupid :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Bentley was his uncles, it details how he got it in the first Young Bond book.

I care about what Fleming said, not Higson. When it comes to Bond, only one man is the "word of God" on 007.
    And you don't leave laundry in the machine for a week until you wash it. It breeds mold and damp. Although I can see Daniel Craig's Bond doing it because he look stupid :))

You don't run the washing machine.. and then wait to dry it for a week.

Wow. Did that really just happen. I need to go read a science journal to rekindle my hope in mankind.

I care about what Fleming said, not Higson. When it comes to Bond, only one man is the "word of God" on 007.

I don't think Fleming ever detailed how he got it (at least not in the novels I've read, I still have Diamonds, LALD, the short stories and DN left) and I think Higsons books are official prequels.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Wow. Did that really just happen. I need to go read a science journal to rekindle my hope in mankind.

You said, "No laundry basket - loads laundry directly into machine until ready to wash."

We are talking about PRE WASHING protocol here, not POST WASHING.

You need a clean, dry, aerated place to store your dirty clothes until washing day. Bond's flat NEEDS a laundry basket for this.

But he has a housekeeper... a Scottish treasure called May. Where does she fit in to this?

I need to watch a good Bond film again to restore my faith in Bond fans...

JWESTBROOK wrote:

You said, "No laundry basket - loads laundry directly into machine until ready to wash."

We are talking about PRE WASHING protocol here, not POST WASHING.

You need a clean, dry, aerated place to store your dirty clothes until washing day. Bond's flat NEEDS a laundry basket for this.

But he has a housekeeper... a Scottish treasure called May. Where does she fit in to this?

I need to watch a good Bond film again to restore my faith in Bond fans...

How dirty do your clothes get? And you don't shut the door so that it gets air. This is an argument I'd never thought I'd have on.. any forum.

I do it, and it works for me, mold free. *teeth glimmer into camera*
  • Hi all,

Thank you for your input :) It's been great feedback so far, with some good ideas.
    I will leave the survey open for another couple of days, for the ones who have missed it and would like to take part, here is the link:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PMBYB5V

Thank you
    I just took the survey. I'm an Architecture student, so I had fun doing it.
  • Great! Thanks. I definitely agree with the Barcelona chairs :)
  • Hi,
    The survey is now closed. Thank you all for your support, feedback and suggestions which have been a great help.
    Hopefully, you'll be able to help me again with more feedback when I'll upload my work :)
    Hi,
    The survey is now closed. Thank you all for your support, feedback and suggestions which have been a great help.
    Hopefully, you'll be able to help me again with more feedback when I'll upload my work :)
    We look forward to seeing your results! :)