The Dame Judi Dench fan club

edited March 2013 in Actors Posts: 61
Any other fans of this beautiful beautiful woman? So matronly and a true talent. I am thinking of starting a yahoo! fan club where we can trade photos, fan fiction of what it would be like to meet her, and just make friends. Skyfall wow! Cant believe she won't be returning.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Any other fans of this beautiful beautiful woman?
    I'm one of them for sure.
    So matronly and a true talent.
    Agreed on all accounts.
    I am thinking of starting a yahoo! fan club
    Please do so. Perhaps one already exists.
    where we can trade photos,
    Well I'm sure there are plenty on google unless you're talking about photos of any of us actually meeting her.
    fan fiction of what it would be like to meet her,
    This is the part where you're getting a little scary. What could be more boring than that?
    Skyfall wow! Cant believe she won't be returning.
    Dude, you're so right about that. We'll miss our M. (Although for the record: the replacement is awesome!)

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am a longtime fan of Judi Dench and I loved her portrayal of M. I will miss her! But I am also glad that Fiennes is hired as the new M. It's good to have someone really different than Judi (because who could compare favorably with her? Not many), probably time for a man to enter that role again, and in Fiennes we have a very good actor indeed. I will always treasure Judi's character and impact to the Bond series.

Personally, I always think famous people (actors, writers, directors, whoever) deserve our honest opinion, respect, and a certain restraint. I would never want to impose on their personal life. If I ran into Judi, I would probably tell her how much I have admired all of her work and thank her for her role in the Bond films - but I would only say that if it seemed not intrusive at that moment. I don't need my photo with someone, but I like to share my appreciation.
    I'm a big Dame Judi Dench fan! She's a great actress & I loved her as M.
  • I am a longtime fan of Judi Dench and I loved her portrayal of M. I will miss her! But I am also glad that Fiennes is hired as the new M. It's good to have someone really different than Judi (because who could compare favorably with her? Not many), probably time for a man to enter that role again, and in Fiennes we have a very good actor indeed. I will always treasure Judi's character and impact to the Bond series.

Personally, I always think famous people (actors, writers, directors, whoever) deserve our honest opinion, respect, and a certain restraint. I would never want to impose on their personal life. If I ran into Judi, I would probably tell her how much I have admired all of her work and thank her for her role in the Bond films - but I would only say that if it seemed not intrusive at that moment. I don't need my photo with someone, but I like to share my appreciation.

Thoroughly agreed with all your sentiments. Dame Judi deserves all the accolades she receives, and despite my initial reservations with a female M, she won me over right away and I enjoyed her tenure very much.

• edited March 2013 Posts: 2,782

To be fair she was great in the background, then she became a field agent and then a mummy...why?

I would have had Helen Mirren instead and so would have Bond by now.

I saw Judy in 1996 on stage for a school thing....she was gripping...a terrific stage actor.
    I do love Helen Mirren - would still love her in a Bond film in some part - but I'm glad we got Judi as M.
  • Shame we can't see praise for Dame Judy Dench without having to throw in Helen Mirren's name all the time? Dench is a fabulous talented actress who has had a wonderful career so far and a great tenure as M. I look forward to seeing what she does in the future as I hope she has no plans to retire yet?
    I feel sure she will want to continue working, it is just her failing eyesight that is the major concern.
  • She will star in Philomena written by crap Steve Coogan.

Helen Mirren stars Red 2 this year....mmmm

Dench is a great stage actor and belongs there.

Mirren is a film star and the only granny I'd want to share my bag of chips with...
    edited March 2013 Posts: 12,459
    So go start a Helen Mirren appreciation thread then.
    I like her too, but this one is all about appreciating Judi.

Dench definitely belongs on screen and stage, both.
  • Yes, I heard about her eyesight previously but I though I heard that years ago, is it slowly degrading? I hope she doesn't go blind :(
    Yes it is slow degradation and could possibly lead to blindness. I don't know the most recent news.
  • So go start a Helen Mirren appreciation thread then.
    I like her too, but this one is all about appreciating Judi.

Dench definitely belongs on screen and stage, both.

Hear, hear!
    Fantastic and very talented actress! Can pretty much watch her in anything! ^:)^
    Glad to see theres plenty of Dame JD fans in here- is there anything this woman can't do? What a master.
    Obviously I am a fan lol. Maybe even marry her someday hahaa. Seething talent
  • Judi's my all time favourite Actress, I've loved her from her days as Laura in A Fine Romance to As Time Goes By, Bond and Marigold Hotel. Only have about another 20 of her movies to buy then I'll finally have the full Dench collection. She's one of the most inspirational women on our screens. She doesn't act as though she's above everybody else like some of these movie stars. She may not like being called a National Treasure but I'm sorry Judi, you are and we love all the more <3
    I greatly admire Dench's work. I'm sad to say I have not seen much of her, as I do not live in the UK. I hope to catch more of her on dvds in the coming years. I did enjoy watching A Fine Romance and As Time Goes By because those were shown in the U.S. She does seem like a down to earth person, genuinely nice and thoroughly professional. I wish her well, especially with the challenges she has now with her eyesight.

P.S. I am guessing you are also a Reba McEntire fan (unless there is another Reba I am unaware of ... which could definitely be true!)
    Unfortunately, we are saying farewell to the finest M the Bond series has ever produced!
  • 00Beast wrote:
    Unfortunately, we are saying farewell to the finest M the Bond series has ever produced!

No one can ever replace Bernard Lee, but to each his own.

I always thought those who disliked her in the role were unfair. I heard people complaining Bond boss was a woman. But nobody ever complained that his ultimate boss has always been the queen.
    Saw Dame Judi last night on stage in Peter and Alice. Excellent play with teriffic performances from both her and Wishaw. Its nice to know that at her age she is still doing what she loves and does not live in the shadow of Bond.
    When it came to Dame Judi's character M, did that stand for Olivia Mansfield? If this is on another thread, my apologies. I did look first, however.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/james-bonds-boss-m-has-identity-exposed-by-fan1/1/269584.html
    BMT216A wrote:
    When it came to Dame Judi's character M, did that stand for Olivia Mansfield? If this is on another thread, my apologies. I did look first, however.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/james-bonds-boss-m-has-identity-exposed-by-fan1/1/269584.html

This article is wrong on one count: Mansfield Smith-Cumming adopted the pseudonym of C, not M.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,189
    00Beast wrote:

Its weird. I'm in no doubt that Lee is the classic M, he defined the role and is perhaps the closest M we have seen to the one in the books. Dench herself will probably agree. But part of me does enjoy Dench more oddly. Maybe its an age thing.

Even so

Lee>>Dench
    Oh, I like Bernard Lee tremendously; but I have really enjoyed Judi's M more. Hers is my favorite M for sure.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Its weird. I'm in no doubt that Lee is the classic M, he defined the role and is perhaps the closest M we have seen to the one in the books. Dench herself will probably agree. But part of me does enjoy Dench more oddly. Maybe its an age thing.

Even so

Lee>>Dench

I think it depends of which movie. Overall Lee was the best M, that said they brought the characters in interesting directions with Judi Dench, which they had never done before.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    BMT216A wrote:

Absolutely. Last month i had the opportunity to meet Dench at a performance in the UK. This is confirmed. Just a great person and so willing to chat.

Ludovico wrote:
    Overall Lee was the best M, that said they brought the characters in interesting directions with Judi Dench, which they had never done before.

Quite right. It was a refreshing change of pace from Robert Brown, whom I didn't dislike, but whose performance generally was a weak continuation of the Bernard Lee version of M. Ralph Fiennes looks as though he may well take the role in yet another direction and I'm looking forward to that.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dame Judi very kindly signed a photograph for me when I requested one by post.