Can we have another “Keep your hair on moment?”

JRRJRR
edited March 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 74
Bond casually pats Blofeld's baldhead and says,” all right, keep your hair on!" and then proceeds to drop him into an industrial size chimney.
Will this type of facetious humour return to a Bond script?

Mod Edit - This is clearly not news. Moved to Bond movies.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2013 Posts: 17,728
    I doubt it very much in the Craig era at least, but who can say of the future?
  • I personally hoped Silva would say in SKYFALL:

"Mr Bond, I'll buy you a Delicatessen....In stainless steele!"

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I personally hoped Silva would say in SKYFALL:

"Mr Bond, I'll buy you a Delicatessen....In stainless steele!"
    That's good.
    How about Bond saying to Silva (when he takes out his teeth),
    "I suppose that's better than a mouthful of sharp, silver permanent teeth then."

• echoecho 007 in New York
    We had plenty of "keep your hair on" moments from '62-'67, and then again in '71 and '83.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No rug jokes please.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Films, like many things in life, go in cycles.

I think we are done with the stronger, campier, OTT humor for a while. But it will creep back in, probably mostly through one liners. I like it in small doses mostly.
    I love FYEO, but not that line. It never made sense to me, Bond grieving Tracy, then joking to her murderer before dispatching him. I mean I understand he was happy to kill Blofeld, but that kind of happy?
    I wouldn't mind a little more humor in the next few entries, but please god none of those lame puns and one liners. Humor should flow naturaly from the character and situation - something those older Bond films rarely got right. As we've seen, that kind of humor does not age well and tend to induce more groans than laughs. Besides, I'd like to think audiences have become too smart for that kind of thing.

Also, I think Craig gets a bum rap for his "lack of humor". His is just a very dry, subtle type of humor that goes right past a lot of people here. For example, in the airport scene in CR, his reaction right after he spins the gas truck to a screaching halt is classic. The way he frantically looks around wide-eyed as if to check that everything really is still there. Almost not quite believing he's still alive. It's funny as hell, but in a subtle way. You can't tell me that's not intentional on Craig's part.
    I agree, I am all for humour, but it has to remain subtle, heck, it has to be humour, not flat out comedy. In DAF, it was downright parody, and not even a funny one. Craig I think gave very good humour, the most subtle of the series, yes, but still there.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Humor is subjective. I really don't have a problem with the line, especially the way that Moore delivers it. Its that stupid bald cap that the stuntman is wearing that drives me crazy. I guess they couldn't pay him enough to shave his head?
    It is not so much the line as the context: Bond just put flowers on his wife's tomb, the killer of his wife shows up and tries to kill him, he gets the better of him, and... he makes a joke.
    Ludovico wrote:
    It is not so much the line as the context: Bond just put flowers on his wife's tomb, the killer of his wife shows up and tries to kill him, he gets the better of him, and... he makes a joke.

That's essentially it. Bond, in a poignant moment, visits his late wife's grave, then soon enough, Blofeld (we are led to believe it is indeed Blofeld, although no actual confirmation or acknowledgment in credits), turns up, and Bond manages to get the upper hand, and just before disposing of the character, makes an awful pun, and pats his head, and then you get the almost cringeworthy 'Mr Booooooooooooond' as the aforementioned Blofeld disappears down a smoke stack. Still, that was Moore wasn't it. Humor was the order of the day for the most part, so was it really that much of a surprise. Still wonder to this day, why Blofeld wasn't wearing a neck brace in Diamonds are Forever
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:

That's essentially it. Bond, in a poignant moment, visits his late wife's grave, then soon enough, Blofeld (we are led to believe it is indeed Blofeld, although no actual confirmation or acknowledgment in credits), turns up, and Bond manages to get the upper hand, and just before disposing of the character, makes an awful pun, and pats his head, and then you get the almost cringeworthy 'Mr Booooooooooooond' as the aforementioned Blofeld disappears down a smoke stack. Still, that was Moore wasn't it. Humor was the order of the day for the most part, so was it really that much of a surprise. Still wonder to this day, why Blofeld wasn't wearing a neck brace in Diamonds are Forever

At this point I think DAF just went out of its way to forget the depth that was created in OHMSS. How the heck did Maibaum ever let this happen?
    Diamonds are Forever could of been one of the best Bond releases hitherto seen, with George returning (would of been still only 31 at the time), and the revenge aspect for the death of Tracy, and such scope, with the same actor, to have really put something together, and all we got in the end, was a lacklustre, out of shape, and disinterested Connery and some absurd plot about making a laser satellite out of diamonds

Bizarre
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Diamonds are Forever could of been one of the best Bond releases hitherto seen, with George returning (would of been still only 31 at the time), and the revenge aspect for the death of Tracy, and such scope, with the same actor, to have really put something together, and all we got in the end, was a lacklustre, out of shape, and disinterested Connery and some absurd plot about making a laser satellite out of diamonds

Bizarre

I quite honestly can't think of a single bigger missed opportunity in the entirety of the franchise than Lazenby in DAF. It would have been the Bond revenge tale to end all revenge tales, and could have made LTK look like a pillow fight in comparison...but with less blood...
    And George could of handled Bambi and Thumper a lot better than Connery would of done - if they had been included. But if it was a different story, with the revenge angle rightfully put in, and Lazenby included, who knows how it would of worked out

Lazenby was a good pugilist, decent fighter, a lot more plausible than most other of the Bond actors when it came to using his fists, and they could of done some fine battles or action bits and pieces, such as the 'gatecrasher' fight from OHMSS, but it's all water under the bridge now. Even if Lazenby had done it again in '71, that means he most likely would of played Bond in the next release, and I couldn't see anyone other than Roger Moore in that one. You talk about missed opportunities, but there's plenty of them for consideration that has been talked about at length on different threads. Lewis Collins as Bond, taking over from Moore in 1981 (or indeed 1979), after he was no longer viable, is one such example. Thing is, we can't change anything that has occured in the past, but only discuss what may have been. Can be frustrating subject matter sometimes

Goodnight