Trompetist Derek Watkins Passes Away

marketto007marketto007 Brazil
edited March 2013 in News Posts: 3,277
He played on all the Bond soundtracks, from Dr. No to Skyfall.

David Arnold @DavidGArnold - Very very sad news...the legend that was Derek Watkins,gentleman,musical genius and Trumpet on EVERY Bond score has just passed away

:(

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sad news :(
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    RIP to a musical legend. He was of a blessed few to be there from the start.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This is really sad news :(

I was, just for a couple of hours ago wondering for myself for how long he would continue on the soundtracks...
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    fotomi6.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    fotomi6.jpg

A beautiful tribute, @marketto007.
    I was fortunate to see and hear Derek play at the John Barry memorial concert at the Royal Albert Hall the other year; It was an unexpected bonus on the night and the generous applause from the audience just for him was rightly deserved.

A sad loss to the history of Bond music and jazz/blues overall. To have played on the soundtracks of the entire collection of Bond movies must put him in an almost unique category of being involved in every single movie.

RIP, Derek, my condolences to his family and friends.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Tragic day. I was just marvelling at his number of Bond appearances. who has the next most appearances? Desmond, or is there another unsung legend out there?
  • RC7RC7
    Very sad. He also played on a number of my favourite band's tracks, so I was lucky enough to see him live on a few occasions. A Bond legend in his own right.
    Just have a think about how important the trumpet is on the Bond soundtracks and you will understand what Derek brought to the series. In fact just listen to the trumpets on the JB Theme and then raise a glass.
    Dedicated musician. Rest in peace.
  • Just read this in the news. RIP to a great musician. To be honest I didn't know about him until this sad news. To do all the Bond films, wow that was some achievement. I hear he also worked with some of the most iconic music stars in the business. Music has lost a star no doubt.
    RIP. Trumpet and the twang of guitar have been important to Bond music. Unique trumpeter having contributed so much to Bond music.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    this is sad news indeed. He put the wah's in David Arnold's Scores and during Thunderball. :)
    Sad news indeed! He had a great sense of humour and some very amsuing facts about his time working with the various artiste's. RIP Derek, you will be missed! ^:)^
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 84
    The excellent and resepcted tumpet player of the "barmy army" at the England v New Zealand cricket match currently taking place has just given a rendition of Bond tunes much to the appreciation of the crowd, i'd like to think this was his own tribute to Mr Watkins!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sad news indeed but his legend lives on!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Well done Sam. Much respect to him for this.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Well done Sam. Much respect to him for this.

I concur. Nice to see Dame Helen Mirren, Dan Radcliffe and Martin Freeman scooping up some nice awards as well.