The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just stopped enjoying him years ago. His personal persona does get in the way of my enjoyment of him as an actor, sad to say.
  • Actually SaintMark,
    UNCLE in the early days ..1st season was pretty good. Some pretty good story lines .Decent characters. I presume you are aware of the connection with Fleming ?
    It was about the middle of season 2 it unfortunately started getting shall we say 'campy' To fall in line with Batman.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Tom can do drama well, so I don't get all the worries.

Tom Cruise wants apperently to play all spy heros and then some more like Reacher. I must admit I generaly do avoid movies that carry the name Tom Cruise unless it is a MI movie.
    Ok... Congratulations?

Not sure for what but then again it could be a great attempt of wittism. My apologies if I missed it.

It just didn't seem like you were making any kind or response to my comment in your post, and so I was just confused. You stated another opinion of yours and I just put that response because I didn't really know how to respond otherwise... Apologies for the confusion.
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Tom Cruise wants apperently to play all spy heros and then some more like Reacher. I must admit I generaly do avoid movies that carry the name Tom Cruise unless it is a MI movie.
    Ok... Congratulations?

Not sure for what but then again it could be a great attempt of wittism. My apologies if I missed it.

It just didn't seem like you were making any kind or response to my comment in your post, and so I was just confused. You stated another opinion of yours and I just put that response because I didn't really know how to respond otherwise... Apologies for the confusion.

My response it that it seems that Cruise wants to star in any big possible franchise that seems currently to stand a chance to become popular. With Reacher as an example. It seems to be more quantity than quality with the man.

He should pick his movies better than to annoy loads of movie fans when they hear of his involvement.

I do like his MI movies and they are Cruise territory first imho.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Ok... Congratulations?

My response it that it seems that Cruise wants to star in any big possible franchise that seems currently to stand a chance to become popular. With Reacher as an example. It seems to be more quantity than quality with the man.

He should pick his movies better than to annoy loads of movie fans when they hear of his involvement.

I do like his MI movies and they are Cruise territory first imho.

I am not angry about him for that at all. He is ambitious, so I can't hate him for that. He has done some great work, and enough to be able to choose what projects he wants and how much he wants to be involved in. He gets seriously committed to his projects and is often involved far beyond the acting role and produces the films as well, and often does his own stunt work in addition to other things.
    Neither am I angry, but most of his reacent movies are somewhat bland and a lot of Mweh as a result.

The man should find good projects with decent directors and trust their vision like he does with the MI series that have become very impressive with the 3th and 4th installment.

In Cruise's case he often seems to find himself the most important man while another vision on the characters he plays could be refreshing for him and the audience.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    UNCLE will be fantastically entertaining with or without Tom as long as Ritchie directs IMO. Please folks, forget what you think of Cruise personally; he always delivers a focused performance.
    I'm not a Tom Cruise hater, and I've enjoyed all the Mission Impossible movies, as well as Collateral, Risky Business and even Knight and Day was fun, but I don't think he's right for Man From U.N.C.L.E. I was kind of disappointed to hear that he's lined up to play Solo, because I'm starting to think he's monopolizing my favorite 60s spy shows. Let's face it, Cruise's ego completely changed the nature of the original Mission Impossible series to become the Cruise action vehicle, and I really don't want to see this happen with Man From U.N.C.L.E. As a matter of fact, I'm not even that crazy about Guy Ritchie directing it. Both Ritchie and Cruise have a style that overtakes whatever project they touch, and Man From U.N.C.L.E. happens to be one of my very favorites. The idea of Soderbergh directing was far more appealing, because he doesn't have an over saturated style of filmmaking. Will Ritchie subject us to slow motion flash forwards with this film? I seriously hope not, but I won't be surprised if he does. I disagree that the Man From U.N.C.L.E. got too campy in the 2nd season, I think it was more the 3rd season, and by the 4th season it got pretty serious again and kinda grim, but unfortunately it was too late and it was cancelled. I was really hoping for something special with the film adaptation, but now I fear it will just be another summertime Cruise action film that rewrites the atmosphere of one of the coolest shows that was ever created for television. I really do hope I'm wrong, but looking at both track records, I fear that I'm not.
    For those of you who don't know it, Ian Fleming was involved in the creation of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. and was forced off the project by EON, who thought it would be a conflict of interest. Also U.N.C.L.E., during it's first season, was equal to Bond in it's own way. Though there are similarities to 007 the UNCLE format was quite different and unique. If handled right the film could be a refreshing addition to the modern spy line up. Warner Bros recently offered the film to Affleck and Damon but they passed. Cruise is one more in a long line of actors who have been considered for Mr. Waverly's top agents.
    macdrummer wrote:
    I wonder if Solo will be a scientologist with him taking Illya's Number 2 badge ..just like Crusie's number and rank ... in Scientology family ..?
    Why should he all of a sudden? His recent films, as far as I saw them, never showed the slightest connection to scientology.

And because he´s about the only guy talking about it doesn´t mean no other Hollywood actor has such questionable hobbies.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    "Guy Ritchie is making a spy movie" Cool, that should be fun, I'm a fan of his fil-

"With Tom Cruise" Oh, so it'll probably be just Tom Cruise as a cheesey action man again. Never mind.

To be fair I really like the Mission Impossible movies, and he was much more subtle and better than usual in Jack Reacher. But he was still wrong for that simply because he's the complete opposite of the character. Why does he want so many franchises? And then there's his personal life which stops me from respecting him more.

I haven't seen the original TV series but I feel sorry for fans of it if it's ruined by Cruise. As a fan of Lee Child's novels, I know how that feels.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    This is getting beyond a joke, doesn't Cruise have enough spy strings to his bow? He'll be after Bond next, which might not be a bad thing, considering...
  • The thing about Cruise is, he hasn't evolved much. It's admirable how buff he is, and compare him at 50 with how Moore and Connery looked; he's much younger looking. Mind you , you have to muscle up if you don't run to fat at that age, or you look like a loser or tramp, witness the lean Kevin Bacon as 'Footloose' in those awful adverts, he looks like Ian Beale off EastEnders. Jagger would look like a tramp in need of a square meal if we didn't know he was Jagger.

No, what irks is that he is just so positive, it's hard to relate to him. Other actors age and so their persona develops over the years. Cruise is just Cruise, and his character always has to be on some learning curve. I agree his Scientology thing is very offputting, and in MI4 it felt like he was just doing some course where you succeed so you can reach the next level, it was all very perfunctory, though some set pieces had flair. The Dubai skyscraper set piece was head and shoulders ahead of any Bond film of late.

But with Reacher, it was like, well, you say I can't play a 6ft 4in guy? Scientology says I can.
    People make all these hits against Tom's religion, yet his isn't any more unbelievable or controversial than the others in my eyes. Just goes to show that people can't separate a man's personal life from his films and just enjoy them for what they are meant for: entertainment.
  • Sorry maybe my fault but originally this post was supposed to be about Ritchie maybe not doing Bond at all... or any time soon
    Guess we are getting side tracked on Cruise..
    as long as it keeps him away from Bond I'm happy. Also how many franchises does Cruise want to own. The greedy git! MI, Reacher, and now this!
    Big fan of the tv show, whether this will be good or not only time will tell. Personally i would have wanted some one younger to play Napoleon Solo, can't see Cruise playing Solo being far removed from Hunt.

Agreed, if it keeps Ritchie away from Bond, can only be a good thing.
    How about this for the fans: Place the story in current day, have Cruise play a new agent we have not seen before with a North Korean partner, Robert Vaughn plays Solo as the head of U.N.C.L.E. and David McCallum does a quest appearance as you know who.

BTW regarding Ritchie and Sherlock Holmes, in the novels Thrush was created by Colonel Moran after Moriarity's death so it would almost be like a continuation of the Ritchies work on Sherlock.

delfloria wrote:
    How about this for the fans: Place the story in current day, have Cruise play a new agent we have not seen before with a North Korean partner, Robert Vaughn plays Solo as the head of U.N.C.L.E. and David McCallum does a quest appearance as you know who.

BTW regarding Ritchie and Sherlock Holmes, in the novels Thrush was created by Colonel Moran after Moriarity's death so it would almost be like a continuation of the Ritchies work on Sherlock.

Would not be surprised if Vaugh and Mccallum had cameos, with Cruise on board the tone will be more serious one would think. If they had opted for a lighter tone akin to the series, i would have been happy if Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were in the title roles.
    With the news that Stephen Spielberg is considering producing a lavish miniseries based on Stanley Kubrick's unfilmed NAPOLEON script, I'd rather see Tom Cruise play Napoleon Bonaparte than Napoleon Solo... After all, Cruise is only about an inch taller than the French emperor was in real life.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Wait, did not Tarantino say (in 1995 or so), that he wanted to do U.N.C.L.E. So if he reads this, he might go mad again as he did on CR...
    I would sooner see Ritchie direct a 3rd Sherlock Holmes movie first!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2013 Posts: 4,416
    I have seen the 6 episodes of the first season of ''Spy'' i think the person who make the maintitle of this should make the maintitle of this movie.

Better ask Clive Owen and Luke Wilson, and for example Bryan Batt (Mad Men) as ally/suporting chacter. There be take overs with new names from the original actors. A picture of the 2 on a wall already can be enough or let them something to drink on table. If there whant use the same names, not give them cameo but for example let them make the making of documentry. Not make the same mistake as with Starsky and Hutch to give them a cameo with playing the same chacters/car.That runed the movie for me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2013 Posts: 4,043
    I know some can see past his real persona but to me he just plays Tom Cruise, personally I can't stand the guy and yes why is looking to play every action star around?

Mccallum's would have been a great fit for a blonde Fassbender, Clooney was always the best choice till he dropped out for Napoleon.

Tom Cruise should be investigated by the monopolies commission.
  • I will only watch it if Tom finally comes out and plays it as the gay man the whole world knows he his.

Wrong director, wrong casting...should be two new fresh leads and someone who has a bit of wit about them behind the lens...

where does this the Mi franchise ....up in limbo and down the toilet if this happens.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Jarrod wrote:
    I disagree that the Man From U.N.C.L.E. got too campy in the 2nd season, I think it was more the 3rd season, and by the 4th season it got pretty serious again and kinda grim, but unfortunately it was too late and it was cancelled. I was really hoping for something special with the film adaptation, but now I fear it will just be another summertime Cruise action film that rewrites the atmosphere of one of the coolest shows that was ever created for television.
    Yes,Uncle really found it's stride in Season 2. The too campy season was indeed Season 3,and Season 4 did seem grimmer.
    Oddly though, I found that all 4 Uncle seasons did work quite fine, despite the varied tones. Even S3 was entertaining as hell. Season 4 was just a needed adjustment. I like Season 1 too, but Uncle is such a cool and colourful show, that b&w didn't quite do it justice, which is why I think it flourished into a global phenomenon in Season 2 when it went to colour. At the time there was an Unclemania similar to Bondmania. Vaughn and McCallum were rock stars.
    I do have confidence in Cruise, in that he seems to make his projects work. Even the most unlikely. Not only Reacher, but he even pulled off Interview With the Vampire, despite initial fan howling
    Maybe he can pull off Uncle too, but still what's wrong with casting a guy whose the right age, like early '30s!? Connery and Vaughn in their prime dashing-young-spy years as Bond and Solo, were both early '30s. I would go younger. Maybe Cruise could simply put his talents to use, helping recruit the new young Solo, and lend his name to the project in other ways.
    I did think that Bradley Cooper wasn't a bad choice for Solo, back when his name surfaced. He seems to have the wit and charm, as well as the youthful maturity.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    RogueAgent wrote:

I would sooner see Richie retire and enjoy his millions, the man is a very average film maker, lets hope he never gets near Bond, I've never been a fan from the moment I saw his Tarantino lite debut at the cinema.

His first Sherlock film was OK but I can't help but feel underwhelmed when i saw Sherlock, his slowed down Indy knock off approach just feels empty Hollywood nonsense compared to Moffat & Gattis genius.

Cruise is totally wrong for this, the sooner the general public turn their back on this vile little man the better, he looks like a psychopath and his beliefs are offensive.

Shardlake wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I would sooner see Richie retire and enjoy his millions, the man is a very average film maker, lets hope he never gets near Bond, I've never been a fan from the moment I saw his Tarantino lite debut at the cinema.

His first Sherlock film was OK but I can't help but feel underwhelmed when i saw Sherlock, his slowed down Indy knock off approach just feels empty Hollywood nonsense compared to Moffat & Gattis genius.

Cruise is totally wrong for this, the sooner the general public turn their back on this vile little man the better, he looks like a psychopath and his beliefs are offensive.

They are called opinions; deal with them.

I would rather see a Sherlock Holmes 3 too, but if it never happens I won't be too sad. After all, they are barely, BARELY canon and we have BBC giving us the best Sherlock content since the 80s Granada series ended.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Shardlake wrote:

Woah (thats English for 'stop a horse')!

I'm not having that. Scientology is plainly utter bollocks but thats irrelevant.

If he was a Muslim or Christian and you came up with comments like that you would be summarily castigated by everybody but because its Scientology its somehow fine to say things like that.

Scientololgy is no more or less beliveable than any of the more established religions, its just they have 2000 or so years of barinwashing behind them so they appear to have more 'crediblity'.

Whether you believe the earth was seeded by aliens or some guy who did magic tricks rose from the dead doesnt the law say that you entitled to hold said belief without fear of persecution?

Shardlake wrote:

Woah (thats English for 'stop a horse')!

I'm not having that. Scientology is plainly utter bollocks but thats irrelevant.

If he was a Muslim or Christian and you came up with comments like that you would be summarily castigated by everybody but because its Scientology its somehow fine to say things like that.

Scientololgy is no more or less beliveable than any of the more established religions, its just they have 2000 or so years of barinwashing behind them so they appear to have more 'crediblity'.

Whether you believe the earth was seeded by aliens or some guy who did magic tricks rose from the dead doesnt the law say that you entitled to hold said belief without fear of persecution?

Very much correct, @TheWizardOfIce, with your classic panache thrown in for good measure.