Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Just finished watching Gone Baby Gone. Ben Affleck continues to make a case for being one of the best directors working today. Gripping story, suprisingly good performance out of Casey Affleck, and a genuinely thought provoking ending. Highly recommend, and I must say, having seen Gone Baby Gone, Argo, and The Town, the producers should take a good long look at Ben for Bond 24.

8.5/10
    Dr. No
    From Russia With Love
    Goldfinger
    Skyfall
    Ted
    One Flew Over Cuckoon's Nest
    Flash Gordon
    Django Unchained
    Just finished watching Gone Baby Gone. Ben Affleck continues to make a case for being one of the best directors working today. Gripping story, suprisingly good performance out of Casey Affleck, and a genuinely thought provoking ending. Highly recommend, and I must say, having seen Gone Baby Gone, Argo, and The Town, the producers should take a good long look at Ben for Bond 24.

8.5/10

The book series that Gone Baby Gone is adapted from is great too. I also agree with Affleck being one of the best directors gong out there. All those years everyone was making fun of his acting skills, who knew the guy had legit top tier talent.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ultrabox wrote:
    Just finished watching Gone Baby Gone. Ben Affleck continues to make a case for being one of the best directors working today. Gripping story, suprisingly good performance out of Casey Affleck, and a genuinely thought provoking ending. Highly recommend, and I must say, having seen Gone Baby Gone, Argo, and The Town, the producers should take a good long look at Ben for Bond 24.

8.5/10

The book series that Gone Baby Gone is adapted from is great too. I also agree with Affleck being one of the best directors gong out there. All those years everyone was making fun of his acting skills, who knew the guy had legit top tier talent.

I think his role in Good Will Hunting on both the writing and acting side can dispel any rumors of him having no talent.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Just finished re-watching Pulp Fiction for the first time in a good few years. Unashamably geeky but fantistically acted by everyone with the exception of, ironically, Tarantino himself.

I can see why some don't like it. It's dialogue does draw attention to itself a lot and its the sort of film a class of Film Studies pupils would love (I actually first watched it in Film class when I was 18). However for a film that it essentially about a bunch of low-lifes it certainly has charisma and, unlike later Tarantino films, doesn't send too far into bloody fan-pleasing gore. While (almost) everyone is excellent Samuel L. Jackson is the star. His character Jules is essentially a throwback to the "badass" heroes of blaxploitation flicks but with more personality. Physically threatening but also funny and thoughtful Sam really becomes the character of Jules. Harvey Kietel is also worth a mention of the efficient, no no nonsence yet charismatic "Wolf".

Oh and the soundtrack is brilliant too :)

9/10
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,575
    Watched I Am Number Four (2011)
    Average film 5.5 dead frogs/10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mortelle Randonnée (1983)

Nice little french thriller staring Michael Serault & Isabelle Adjani. Catherine Leiris (Adjani) is a beautiful seriel killer carving her way across France, leaving a trail of male and female bodies in her wake. Beauvior aka The Eye (Serault) is the private detective hired to investigate, but then developes an obsession to help Leiris (whom resembles Beauvior's daughter) escape capture. This is the version made for the US market (which oddly enough, uses the original French title, rather than the US one of Deadly Circuit), which was cut by around 30 mins from the original french version.

My only real complaint is the sheer risk that Beauvoir takes to dispose of one of Leiris' victims bodies. I get it, he's obsessed, but dragging the body across the garden?

Adjani ranking: 7/15
    Looper, ultimately a bit of a mess and uneven though had some great ideas amongst its own confusion. Will certainly watch it again. Though have to say Bruce Willis at times was terrible, not sure i have seen him act as bad as he does in this film.
    Salt, thought there were some really good moments in the film. Jolie reminded me of how she played Lara Croft though!

Battlefield Los Angeles. Eckhart has really grown on me as an actor!
    Not going to waste much time tonight but had a few hours to spare recently and put on Sergio Leone's 1967 western epic The Good Bad and The Ugly

Some think it's the best western ever. Can't quite go along with that, but it's arguably Leone's greatest work, although he only did direct a handful of movie releases

It does go on for a while and you think the end will never arrive, but the mexican stand-off at the Sad Hill cemetery and background score while Van Cleef, Eastwood and Wallach stare it out is well worth the wait

Highly recommended, in the off chance, that somebody -somewhere, has yet to see it

TheGoodThebadandTheugly06.jpg
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower

At film I initially disliked due to its somewhat smug "look at how quirky we are" manner, however I was somewhat won over by the end. Not a great film but nonetheless a suprisingly moving experience with solid performances from all the cast.
  • Men in Black

As in 1997, a twist on normal sci-fi action movies with amusing lampshade hanging courtesy of Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith, playing two secret anti-alien agents whose personas bear suspicious resemblance to the usual onscreen personas of Tommy Lee Jones and will Smith.

3.5/5
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Spring Breakers

Selena-Gomez-Ashley-Benson-Rachel-Korine-et-Vanessa-Hudgens-dans-Spring-Breakers_scaledown_450.jpg

Here's a typical style-over-content film. While it tends to be visually engaging at times - not at all times though - it lacks in terms of what it set out to do. Hardly ever am I really being pulled into the story or engaged by the foursome of scantily clad girls (some of whom appear disturbingly young I might add). The spring break montages seem real enough and I find them enjoyable in their twisted docu style but the actual plot of the film is pretty thin and receives little help from the artistic self-indulgence of the filmmaker who, for some reason, seems to credit us with short-term memory difficulties. Cliff Martinez' score, very reminiscent of his excellent work for Drive, may be the only appetiser I can give this film. James Franco is somewhat amusing, albeit in an uncomfortable way. But whoever invited Selena Gomez to this party is either a masochist or a sadist (or both), for she neither helps nor carries the film in any way or form. And there's enough flashing going on to make Girls Gone Wild blush.

3/5 for the score and some - SOME! - visual elements only.

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra

GI-Joe-The-Rise-of-Cobra-001.jpg

I've been a Joe fan since I was five. I grew up in the 80s so what do you know. I'm sure Stephen Sommers could have made this thing work in the late 90s but around 2009, they really should have gone for someone a bit more understanding of contemporary action-meets-fun, someone like Justin Lin or Neveldine & Taylor. You see, when I'm going to face off against Cobra, I don't want diet coke. I want Red Bull extra strong. Yet the light version is what I get. Suitable for the young ones (like the toys) but also chewed and bent to fit the proper family morals, the film is at times pathetically sweet and safe. My Real American Hero used to work within the confines of children's playgrounds too but that was over twenty years ago and those children - like myself - have grown up. Furthermore, young kids today are used to tougher things. And so I think of this film as a missed opportunity to give me a subversive plan thought out by Destro and executed properly by a truly menacing Cobra Commander. Instead, I get Spy Kids meets Black Hawk Down. I'm not going to bash this film in its entirety though. I like some of the visuals, I think Lee Byung-hun is a terrific Storm Shadow and some of the fights work very well. Overall, I'm between disappointment and excitement, not quite sure which side I lean more to. But the trailers for Retaliation fuel my confidence so who knows in about one to two weeks I might actually sparkle some re-established Joe love over this place. ;-)

3/5

Cube

1348779764-cube3.jpeg

The girlfriend asks and so she receiveth. My many hints of Cube have finally made her interested in this strange concept by Vincenzo Natali. And she likes it very much. And so do I for that matter. Cube is fresh orange juice for folks like me and grizzly vinegar for others. Here's a film that provides the questions, few answers; that brings up interesting conspiracy theories, but never confirms any; and that meanwhile demands our brains to function mathematically. It is, however, also the film that spawned a whole range of copycats, including the first Saw, Fermat's Room, Exam, My Little Eye, House Of 9, and several more. Followed by Hypercube (a film I appear to be the only fan of - in this dimension at least) and Cube Zero (the inevitable let's-explain-Cube-since-fans-so-ask-us prequel), Cube remains to this day an exceptionally fascinating little thriller with me desiring the promised 4th film to finally come into being.

4,5/5
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A bitter sweet life

bittersweet+life+poster.jpg

An amazing painful and bloody revenge story.

4.5/5
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek
    star_trek_xi_ver18.jpg
    While my original thought for this movie was going to be a stylistic prequel of TOS, To my surprise it was a full on reboot that changed the history of Star Trek for a new audience. It gave us an alternate reality that changes the way we meet our classic Trek characters and gives the actors a chance to make it there own role, rather than force an impressions and mannerisms as seen in some bad fan films. :)) It's not a perfect movie but It's entertaining and has a few nods to the classic Star Trek movies and TOS. I don't understand the extreme hate this movie has with trek fans but I think they should revisit it and take it for face value and not over think the changes it causes to the prime universe. Have fun.

looking forward to Star Trek: Into Darkness in may. ;)

9/10
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Apocalypse Now
    Directed by Francis Ford Coppola
    Starring: Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper

Every time I see this film it is a treat and it is one of the few films that is so close to the idea of a "perfect" creation that you could touch eyelashes with it. After all that Coppola went through, from battling depression, suicidal thoughts and financial ruin to the stressing shooting demands and the MIA nature of Brando and Martin Sheen's heart attack halfway through shooting, this film's story is just as compelling and awe-inspiring both onscreen and off. I wanted to watch it yet again to warm me up for Joseph Conrad's book in which it is based on, Heart of Darkness, that I am going to start reading again in an hour or two, and urge anyone who wasn't yet seen this masterpiece to give it a watch. It is so beautifully layered in every way that each time you watch it you pick up something new or challenge another thought of yours that you thought you knew. There are no absolutes, everything in gray tones from the moral system to the idea of what is sanity and if there is a difference between men like Kurtz and the government that wishes him dead. The story is simple, yet one of the most masterfully engaging films that will leave you thinking about it long after you see it. The performances are top notch, the direction led by Coppola fantastic, giving us awe-inspiring shots filled to the frame with glorious scenes that are complex and stunning on every conceivable level. The film really makes you look at your own beliefs and challenges some misconceptions you have held while teaching you some interesting lessons you wouldn't expect. Unlike most films, you can't sum up what this film means in a single sentence that would do it any justice whatsoever, and that is a great honor in its favor.

I don't rate using the number system, but I think my words speak for how I feel about this one.

"The horror! The horror!"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Venetian_affair_02_(1967).jpg

Venice is the backdrop for this low key spy thriller staring Robert Vaughn, as the very un-Solo, Bill Fenner. Elke Sommer & Thunderball's Luciana Paluzzi are on hand to lend a touch of euro glamour. This is closer to the likes of Sinatra's Naked Runner and The Ipcress file than Bond.

Sommer ranking: 9/14
    Venetian_affair_02_(1967).jpg

Venice is the backdrop for this low key spy thriller staring Robert Vaughn, as the very un-Solo, Bill Fenner. Elke Sommer & Thunderball's Luciana Paluzzi are on hand to lend a touch of euro glamour. This is closer to the likes of Sinatra's Naked Runner and The Ipcress file than Bond.

Sommer ranking: 9/14

Yet again, @MajorDSmythe, you supply another film review that makes me add yet another of your recent viewings to my watchlist. My extreme thanks, good sir.
    Yet again, @MajorDSmythe, you supply another film review that makes me add yet another of your recent viewings to my watchlist. My extreme thanks, good sir.

Don't mention it. :) The Venetian Affair is available on the Warner Archive Collection:

http://www.wbshop.com/category/wbshop_brands/warner+archive.do

The only gripe I have with the brand, is that they don't ship to the UK. Meaning i've had to buy the Archive Collection DVD's I have, through one of DVD my sources.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I've just re watched Tinker Taylor on DVD now I know where they got the idea for M to have that
    China bulldog !
    I watched The Bank Job (2008) recently.
    Quite a good film. 7/10
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    My last definitive film was AVTAK. Great film, Zorin is one of the best villains.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Hobbit

I read the book, now it's on film. Damn good version too, I can't wait for the next two!
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited March 2013 Posts: 543
    Taken

It was on TV during the weekend, really good movie. Liam Neelson is great.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I LOVE Liam, I really do. :) Have seen Taken II yet.

I just watched, or rather fast forwarded thru (it was so bad)
    Pressed starring Luke Goss. It was incredibly stupid. Has anyone seen it?
    I have now seen two films with him and hated both.

Playing TSWLM now as I write this, just to cheer me up.
    jasonx.jpg

Jason got an upgrade, the fans (most of them) got upset. The last time I watched this film, Brosnan was still technically the current Bond. Cheesey dialogue aside, I can't say I disliked Jason X. Friday The 13th has always been about the carnage caused by Crystal Lakes finest. And Jason X doesn't disappoint, featuring some of the most inventive kills off the series, the silent/slow necksnap being a standout for me. *click.. click.. crunch*
  • Premuim Rush, Stargate-Directors cut and Licence To Kill.....

"Its Sanchez way, You seem to like it!"
    Total rehash i mean Total Recall the remake. This film barely engaged me on any level, the only positive thing i can say is Kate Beckensdale is gorgeous.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Friday The 13th has always been about the carnage caused by Crystal Lakes finest.

Or by his mum :P
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,257
    Total rehash i mean Total Recall the remake. This film barely engaged me on any level, the only positive thing i can say is Kate Beckensdale is gorgeous.

Kate Beckinsale is the only reason I watched it.

The last movie I watched was Diamonds are Forever. Tonight will be Live and Let Die. I'm watching the all over... again.

Non Bond movies this week were The Fall, This is 40, Zero Dark Thirty.