The Fast and the Furious (2001 - present)

HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
edited October 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 4,399
thought i would create a thread dedicated to The Fast and Furious film franchise... figured i would get on it, before someone else does - seeing as the 6th installment comes out here stateside in 2 months..

i'm excited for the new one... since Justin Lin (director) and Chris Morgan (writer) have taken over the franchise from Tokyo Drift on, the films have been exceptionally good... the first will always be the best, but i personally love the 4th film..

Comments

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I've watched all of the films, except for the 3rd one. The protagonist is not Brian O'Conner and that made me dislike it at all.

The 5th film is by now the best. The scene where they take the vault around the city with the cars it's magnificent.
  • X3MSonicX wrote:
    I've watched all of the films, except for the 3rd one. The protagonist is not Brian O'Conner and that made me dislike it at all.

The 5th film is by now the best. The scene where they take the vault around the city with the cars it's magnificent.

I used to think the same abou the third, picked it up anyway (because Han is in it and it's directed by Justin Lin) and sat down awaiting disappointment. But the complete opposite occured: I absolutely loved the film. Really, it's a great film even without the 'principal cast'. It's different than the rest, more teen orientated, but it's still a great ride!

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love this series. I'm particularly fond of the way it has found a new charge recently and made Fast Five a great flick that made me salivating for more.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I love this series. I'm particularly fond of the way it has found a new charge recently and made Fast Five a great flick that made me salivating for more.

Me too but it seems to have rubbed some people the wrong way.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Having never seen one of them, apart from the first years ago, I can't say I like them but with the praise the most recent film has got, it at last may be getting somewhere. At six films and counting, this series could go for a while yet.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:

Same here. I quite like the theft aspect to it now, as the racing view could only go so far. 'Fast Five' is my favorite in the series (so far), and I'm incredibly excited for 'Fast & Furious 6.'

• TOFANA007TOFANA007 Banned
    if you were tolook at thheogginal films.. 1 2 3 its racing boring boring broing... then it become a straightforward action genre.. this is most WELCOME because the quality skyrocket. has any otther franchise besides BOND, besides FAST AND THE FURIOUS, ever changed from serious to goofy and bback again???
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Really like these. Started off as Point Break with cars (and it wasn't as good as that sounds) but has evolved into a good action series in it's own right, the 5th one was the best one yet.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TOFANA007 wrote:
    if you were tolook at thheogginal films.. 1 2 3 its racing boring boring broing... then it become a straightforward action genre.. this is most WELCOME because the quality skyrocket. has any otther franchise besides BOND, besides FAST AND THE FURIOUS, ever changed from serious to goofy and bback again???
    Mission Impossible.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,399
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Having never seen one of them, apart from the first years ago, I can't say I like them but with the praise the most recent film has got, it at last may be getting somewhere. At six films and counting, this series could go for a while yet.

2Fast 2Furious is 'alright'.. it has a decent enough story and Cole Hauser is terrific as the antagonist of the film.. but it's bogged down by terrible acting at times (yes, even for a Fast and Furious movie) and dodgy CGI - it's a shame too because John Singleton is a director i have respect for, but this film was pretty weak for his standards... but there is still some fun moments to it.. Tyrese is pretty funny, and the final chase is pretty good..

Tokyo Drift.. for not having any of the original cast in it (except for a cameo at the end) it's actually a really good film... you could tell they wanted to add some layers to the Fast and Furious franchise, and this film was the first that felt like they actually gave a damn about a story.. the acting is 'so so' - about what you would expect.. but the driving and stunts are phenomenal.. especially the chase through downtown Tokyo..

Fast & Furious is probably by far my favorite.. all the original cast return (well, most lol), and their stories bringing them all back together is actually really well written.. this one is probably the 'deepest' of the series in terms of story, and it actually seems kind of dark at times, due to the subject matter of the plot... it's almost like they took the first film, and made it better this time around with some real emotional conflict for all the main characters..

Fast 5 i like, but just not on the same level as the fourth film... it seems too oriented around action than actual character development - but that doesn't make this a bad film.. it's a good ol' fashioned heist film - in the vein of something like Oceans 11 - just with fast cars... Dwayne 'the rock' Johnson steals the show in this one.. his character is welcome addition to the franchise, and the fight he and Vin have is pretty epic..

hope that brief run down helps..
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I really like the post Tokyo Drift films. They made a change and added depth the the series which was great. I really would like to see Fast Six, the trailers look great
  • I do like fast cars and I do like fast cars chasing other fast cars....I still don't get it with these movies....but as a genre set of films they are pretty good at what they do....pop corn movies...the B feature...good fun.

I thought the thread title was what adolescents do whilst watching all these hot cars and hot women.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm going to make a confession: I like Vin Diesel as an actor (guilty pleasure) and Jordana Brewster is hot. Also, The Rock plays things camp and exciting in Fast 5. I love where the series is going. It proves self-correcting and consistently improving its qualities.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm going to make a confession: I like Vin Diesel as an actor (guilty pleasure) and Jordana Brewster is hot. Also, The Rock plays things camp and exciting in Fast 5. I love where the series is going. It proves self-correcting and consistently improving its qualities.

"Come on, you know I like my dessert first!"
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:

I agree with the entirety of this statement.

@thelordflasheart, haha, I love that line.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Creasy47 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I agree with the entirety of this statement.

@thelordflasheart, haha, I love that line.

the best lines and moments in Fast 5 came from The Rock lol..

Elena Neves: [looking through a file] This doesn't make any sense.
    Hobbs: [takes the file] Here's what makes sense!
    [throws the file]

Hobbs: Hey Toretto, you're under arrest.
    Dominic Toretto: I don't feel like I'm under arrest.
    Dominic Toretto: [to Brian] How about you Brian?
    Brian O'Conner: No, not a bit. Not even a little bit.
    Hobbs: Oh just give it a minute, it will sink in.

Hobbs: Now thats a damn shame, ruining a classic like this. Might as well slap neon lights on it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I didn't care much for F&F 1, 2 and 4. Tokyo Drift was good.

Fast Five was great though. Much more of an action film, and The Rock was brilliant. I am now looking forward to Fast 6, especially as it is supposedly more London based.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,310
    I'm surprised to see that some of you like Tokyo Drift. I found it to be a TERRIBLE film with some of the worst acting I have ever seen in a motion picture. That Lucas Black guy was so bad it hurt.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Funnily enough, a film called The Fast and the Furious was on TCM tonight, released in 1954. Does this film have any connection to this series of the same name in regards to similar characters or plot?
    Funnily enough, a film called The Fast and the Furious was on TCM tonight, released in 1954. Does this film have any connection to this series of the same name in regards to similar characters or plot?
    Not really, i'm pretty sure i remember reading that the producers bought the name rights for the film and as part of the agreement (or a bonus) the guy that bought it off cameo's in the 1st Fast and the Furious Film as the guy who drives the Ferrari.

• sandn119 wrote:
    Not really, i'm pretty sure i remember reading that the producers bought the name rights for the film and as part of the agreement (or a bonus) the guy that bought it off cameo's in the 1st Fast and the Furious Film as the guy who drives the Ferrari.

The producers of the 1990's F&F liked the title of this film so much they bought the rights to use just the title of the film IIRC
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think I heard that the sixth is the last one but if it does really well who knows. I hear they will be making a movie about the Rock's character.

My order of the films from best to worst.

1) Fast Five
    2) The Fast and the Furious
    3) 2 Fast 2 Furious
    4) Tokyo Drift (The acting is bad but the film is fun)
    5) Fast and Furious (At times I feel it's better than Tokyo Drift)
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think I heard that the sixth is the last one but if it does really well who knows. I hear they will be making a movie about the Rock's character.

My order of the films from best to worst.

1) Fast Five
    2) The Fast and the Furious
    3) 2 Fast 2 Furious
    4) Tokyo Drift (The acting is bad but the film is fun)
    5) Fast and Furious (At times I feel it's better than Tokyo Drift)

There's at least going to be a seventh, the new one sets up the next one if rumours are anything to go by.

And spin-offs afterwards then? I should have guessed.
    Justin Lin will not direct the seventh film. The reason seems to be, a release is planned for next year and going into production this Summer, while still finishing the current film is too much. Who can blame him?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Justin Lin will not direct the seventh film. The reason seems to be, a release is planned for next year and going into production this Summer, while still finishing the current film is too much. Who can blame him?
    He must be exhausted already; I can understand him backing out. It reminds me of Mendes's choice, actually.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    The Fast and the Furious 7 will be released 11 July 2014.

A release date marked only a year before it's due. Wow.
    This is one of the most Bond-worthy action series out there. Not so much for any Bond like characters, but more for the stylish action and excitement. It's great escapist guns, girls and cars action/adventure.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The Fast and the Furious 7 will be released 11 July 2014.

A release date marked only a year before it's due. Wow.

What are universal thinking? This will be 2 rushed 2 furious. No Lin, and potentially no Dwayne Johnson (unless he jumps on this immediately after filming Hercules)
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    The scripts for both have been in the works for a while, so I gather it's always been an idea to do it this way. Part 1 and Part 2 of the same story with one leading into the next.

With seven films this series could get next to only Bond for most flms without a reboot ot spin-off of some kind. Only Harry Potter beats it with eight.