Could Cavill have convinced you as 007 in CR and QoS ?

2»

Comments

• Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    @JBFan626 I enjoyed The Tudors for the most part, it's pretty entertaining and Cavill is one of the best things about it. But, just to let you know, the series is not particularly historically accurate and Jonathan Rhys Meyers redefines the word "overacting" with his loud, eye-roll-inducing portrayal of King Henry VIII....
    i don't know maybe its just me, his acting in The Tudors, doesn't impress me much, maybe, its typical handsome actors just doing his jobs. If he was cast in CR 2005, it would be difference experience.
    Henry Cavill is a good actor (IMO) But since he was too young, he probably would not be convincing as James Bond. (In the minds of Bond fans that think he is too young) Peronally, I would not have any problem with EON casting Henry Cavill as James Bond back in 2005 for CR & QOS. Now that he is older, I would like to see him play James Bond. He is commented to the role of Superman & giving the best performance in MOS. I believe Cavill would be commeted to the role as James Bond. (Even for CR)
    I wish Cavill would be Craig's successor, but that's only wishful thinking since ....well he's superman!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Cavil is a solid actor and would have done a great job as Bond. However, I'm not convinced he'd have the same wisdom and proactive tenacity that Craig has to try and strive for the quality we're getting. Cavil's age may have made him more if a puppet than an actor the producers could take seriously, hell, it happened to Brosnan and he was already a 40+ year old mzn when he finally got the role.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 581
    There are only 2 people i could consider for Bond:

Clive Owen and Michael Fassbender
    Owen would have been a horrible choice imo.
    Cavill looks more like a singer from a boys band.
    Well, Cavill is a good looking guy but he has the acting to chops and somewhat of a presence to be taken relatively seriously. I'm just not convinced that back in 2005/6 the producers would have given him the time of day they've given to Craig from the offset.
    Cavill was too young in 2005. And now he is Superman, so I think it is unlikely he will become Bond.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 512
    At 22, Cavill was too young, but there's nothing to say he couldn't have played it older, say in his late 20s. Physically, one can pass for the other.

It would have made more sense to me, as CR bangs on about Craig's Bond being promoted too young, etc. At lot of it seems written with someone like Cavill in mind, and a few weeks before filming began, Haggis was quoted as saying that it was written for a guy in his late 20s. Now, nothing to say Craig isn't playing Bond in his late 20s, but his face says otherwise, y'know?

There's that stuff where Bond is mistaken for a car valet; that's written for a younger actor, who might be mistaken. His petulance in smashing the German guys car up would suit a young fellow, in Craig it just looks a bit psychotic to me.

Of course, I've never warmed to Craig's Bond quite, but his whole learning arc seems a bit retarded in an older guy. And having him get back to the M office with padded door only at this stage, with Craig looking increasingly jowly around the neck, well, if we had Cavill now he would be exactly where Connery was in Dr No. It would be the perfect fit.

But I'm going on Cavill's look and persona, not as an actor, and even then only on what I've seen in the Superman trailer, which looks good. I can't believe he'd have been more successful at the box office than Craig, who offers a new interpretation of the role, giving it new legs.
  • I've heard good things about Cavill as an actor, but I've only seen him in The Count of Monte Cristo when he was very young.

Age wise he'd be in a good spot to take over from Craig; personally I like the idea of a Bond actor starting in his mid-30s or even early 30s. That enables them to play the role for quite some time, but not *too* long (*cough*Moore*cough*).

Cavill seems to have aged into his looks well, he definitely looks more rugged and masculine now than he did when he was younger. He certainly has the looks to appeal to women but isn't enough of a "pretty boy" to offend insecure guys. He's also bulked up enough that he would be credible in the action scenes and certainly wears a suit well. He may be a younger version of what we would have gotten if Jackman had taken the role - a bridge between the smoothness and star-power of Brosnan but with the commanding presence and acting chops of Craig.

Do people really want a series of Superman films? It will be interesting to see how Man of Steel does. If it's a one-off but not a huge bomb I can see Cavill's reputation being intact enough to transfer to Bond one day. But if it's a huge success - or a huge flop - then things get trickier...
  • This makes me think for some reason of Cubby's statement regarding having to unhire Brosnan in 1986- "Remington Steele will never be James Bond". Now, maybe this wouldn't be the way Barb or Mike may see it, but as long as Cavill is notorious for being Superman as Brosnan was for being Steele, I wouldn't think they would want people coming to the films and saying "Oh look, Superman is really James Bond". Since Brosnan's eventual hire was made by Cubby, they've shown with Craig that to this point they'd lean towards an actor known but not so well that he would be synonymous with another role. I don't see it happening.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 3,236
    He'd be a bit too young, but if he'd have been just 5 years older he would have been perfect. Cavill would be 28, the script supposedly says he's to be 28, and in the novel he's 29. Craig has been great, but one of his biggest flaws (admittedly out of his control) is that he's kind of old to be a believable rookie, and that lead to some of the whiplash between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall. Too young to too old in a matter of hours.

And if it weren't for Batman, Christian Bale would have been great too, as a side note. He would have been 32 at the time of release, and he'd certainly have the acting chops to pull it off. Oh well, at least he's Batman.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Watching CR I never got the impression that there was an issue of Bond being promoted too young. I saw it as Bond being promoted earlier than he should have been because his mindset hadn't adapted to the status he was elevated to. M needed Bond to be more strategic in his actions and to be less Rambo, shooting and blowing stuff up to no avail. Age had nothing to do with it. As for being mistaken for a valet, again, it wasn't a case of age-related issues but in that Bond was dressed somewhat similar to how the other Valets were dressed and those German guys clearly thought it was beneath them to pay any real attention to who they felt the need to belittle.
    I think its fair to say maybe? Only because its a new actor in role and it was reboot? But obviously it was Daniel who had to prove himself in the role.
    On another note, I've just read that Cavill has signed a 3 picture deal to play Supes.
    doubleoego wrote:
    On another note, I've just read that Cavill has signed a 3 picture deal to play Supes.

:(
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Cavill seems to be good as superman nowadays but back in 2005, I wouldn't like him to portray 007. Neither later actually.
  • Not just as the valet, but when he asks the gal for a date and looks nervous about it, I mean that works better with a younger bloke (though even then he should be bedded in with women by that age) than with a guy in his mid-30s. Ditto his whole falling for Vesper thing, works better with a younger bloke whose life is in the balance at that point.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 533

Reading this thread reminds me of those "who is the best Bond" threads I've encountered. And the problem I have with these threads about who is suitable as Bond is that I find them a bit ridiculous.

There is no "best Bond". Everyone has his or her favorite actor to portray Bond. I once asked this young woman back in the early 90s on who was her favorite Bond. She said Roger Moore, taking me by surprise. Although I didn't share her feelings, I was pleasantly surprised to find someone who didn't stick to the "Connery was the best Bond" script. Later, I discovered there were a lot more who didn't regard Connery as the best Bond.

To be honest, I never had a favorite Bond. I've enjoyed the work of all the actors who have portrayed the character. As for Henry Cavill portraying Bond, I'm certain he could do it. Don't expect him to portray Bond like the other actors did. If he or any other actor who replaces Craig, portray the role, they would do it their own way.
    chuck007 wrote:
    Does anyone think that ,having been given the opportunity to carry on as Bond,Cavill would have been able to perform 007 to the level of Daniel Craig in CR and QoS ? or maybe better than Craig perhaps?

Considering he was the front runner back than in 2005 and also Campbell first choice to become rookie Bond, would his interpretation would like Brosnan or gritty as Dalton?

and just asking do you think he still has a chance after being cast as Superman?

No, Craig wasn't the problem, just the material.
    By the time of CR, Cavill was quite young, could have been very interesting. But I couldn´t say if he would have convinced me, because I hadn´t seen anything from him at all.
    What I saw of Cavill by the time of QoS didn´t convince me at all.
    After seeing Man of Steel, I wouldn´t mind Cavill at all. I´m not so much into capes and fantasy, so it probably wouldn´t disturb me if Cavill played both Superman and James Bond at the same time ;-) .