Battlestar Galactica (Old and New) Discussion Thread

MurdockMurdock The minus world
edited March 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 16,328
I watched both the original and rebooted series and enjoyed them. Any other BSG fans out there?

Comments

My preference goes to the older series, the new one did not tickle my fancy. That and I found it hard to follow on the telly and not good enough to spend my hard earned money on.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SaintMark wrote:
    My preference goes to the older series, the new one did not tickle my fancy. That and I found it hard to follow on the telly and not good enough to spend my hard earned money on.

I too enjoyed the old series better. It was like a combination of Star Trek and Star Wars, the music in the show was also quite awesome. :)
    I enjoy both, albeit in very different ways. It's much like the contrast between the Adam West Batman and the Dark Knight Trilogy. They're so radically different that I feel no compulsion to choose between them.
    Never watched the new show, last i watched of the original series was when the were on earth riding flying motor bikes. :-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The new show had its moments, and the FX were great, but old school Galactica is where it's at, baby.
    Never watched the new show, last i watched of the original series was when the were on earth riding flying motor bikes. :-)

Oh yikes, Galactica 1980, it's short lived spinoff. :p
    The Return of Starbuck was the only good episode of that show.
    I rarely watched the original show back in the late 70's and that 80's show was garbage. Only one good episode, "the Return of Starbuck" was worthwhile.

The new series, 2005 was just supreb. Darker, great acting, good storylines and well rounded characters. I saw that finale coming months earlier and I felt that it was the proper way to end the series.
    I just never quite got what happened to Starbuck...
    OHMSS69 wrote:

The new series, 2005 was just supreb.
    Precisely as worded.
    ;)
    About the new show, I wish they could have spent more time on New Caprica. that was a good storyline and I wanted to see it expanded more before the Galectica rescued them all.
    Also I was not happy with Dee's death. It was like out of left field. I wish they had gotten more into her marriage and relationship with Apollo.
    Aside from this I liked with the show had to offer and enjoyed it 99%.
    I did find the execution of Gaeta and Richard Hatch's character as so ... disturbing. they deserved it but still...makes me cringe.
    The old series was semi-dark/fun action adventure; the new one was ultra-dark SF heavy social commentary.
    Give me fun.
    When will Tricia Helfer appears in a Bond movie ? She deserves it.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 6,432
    I often see the box sets for the new shows reasonably cheap, based on what's been said on here will give the new shows a go. To be honest i find there is a lack of good science fiction out there at present.
    I often see the box sets for the new shows reasonably cheap, based on what's been said on here will give the new shows a go. To be honest i find there is a lack of good science fiction out there at present.

It's a pretty realistic view of science fiction. You can relate to the characters and feel like your part of the show.
    The show only ran for four seasons on SCI FI channel. It accomplished so much in those four seasons than some shows that run for seven (Voyager, to name one) It also never actually "jumped the shark". the only other shows I know of that did not jump was Star Trek TNG and Babylon 5.

I can honestly say there were not many characters I did not care for on this show. Maybe Agathon was kinda annoying but aside from that. Great likable characters.
    Absolutely loved the original series! Have not seen any of the new series?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 17,687
    With all the new Star Wars stuff coming out (and I love Rogue One dearly), I have to say that the sheer simplicity, the model effects, the actors and costumes and heartfelt stories, the fact that it was just one season that never evolved into convoluted chaos nor devolved into repetitive tripe (Galactica 1980 is a different entity) makes the original ('78-'79) Battlestar Galactica series really special & unique in the 'space opera' world of entertainment.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A new reboot of Battlestar Galactica is in the works, from Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot).

https://deadline.com/2019/09/battlestar-galactica-reboot-drama-series-sam-esmail-nbc-streaming-service-peacock-1202736127/