Memorable Villian Deaths

2»

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 546
    1.007 drops 006 from the Cradle Antenna
    2.Goldfinger gets sucked out of the window on the airplane
    3.Dr. Kanaga/Mr. Big gets his head inflated & blown off
    4.007 shoots Hugo Drax with dart on his watch & he goes floating into space
    5.Helga meets her demise from the piranha's.
    6.007 puts a bullet in Electra King
    7.007 sets Franz Sanchez on fire
    8.The death of Dr. No
    9.007 takes out Scaramanga
    10.007 takes out Karl Strongberg
    It's also interesting to note which villains died in a very unmemorable kind of way. When I say this, I'm thinking of Mr. Osato, Bert Saxby, Hector Gonzales, Erich Kriegler, Mishka, Kamal Khan, Brad Whitaker, Truman-Lodge, General Ourumov, Henry Gupta, Stamper, Davidov, Gabor, Mollaka, and Elvis.
    Greene slamming an axe into his foot.. Ouch!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    00Beast wrote:
    It's also interesting to note which villains died in a very unmemorable kind of way. When I say this, I'm thinking of Mr. Osato, Bert Saxby, Hector Gonzales, Erich Kriegler, Mishka, Kamal Khan, Brad Whitaker, Truman-Lodge, General Ourumov, Henry Gupta, Stamper, Davidov, Gabor, Mollaka, and Elvis.

I would say Stampers demise is pretty memorable, not just because of how he dies but because the scrap before it is pretty good :P

Anyway, I always liked Xenia Onatopp's death, and Pierce's line after it.
  • I love Alec's death in GoldenEye. How he falls all that way... Doesn't die... Then has the firey wreckage of his own base drop on him.
  • Almost a year since the last self update, so -

In no order of preference -

Moore shooting Stromberg "You've shot your bolt - now it's my turn" - at the end of The Spy Who Loved Me

Dario into the cocaine grinder - License to Kill

Milton Krest in the pressure chamber - above release

May Day at the Zorin Mine and subsequent explosion - "Get Zorin for me!" - AVTAK

Kronsteen and the Morzeny poison spike shoe - From Russia With Love

Capungo gets electrocuted - Goldfinger opening

Necros from the cargo plane - Living Daylights

Gustav Graves "Time to face gravity" - Die Another Day

Hugo Drax "Take a giant step for mankind" - Moonraker

Mr Wint on the ocean liner "tails between the legs" - Diamonds are Forever

Helga Brandt and the Piranhas - YOLT

Oddjob gets electrocuted - Goldfinger

Stealing the parachute from the 'plane pilot - Moonraker opening

and then they go and spoil it all with a rather lousy exit for this years release. For Your Eyes Only all over again.. Not something that can be included in the above
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bond Mystery #23 by the way, how does a jet travelling from Kentucky to DC manage to crash into the Ocean?, did they take the scenic route ?

It's not logical Mr Spock

Doesn't he say to Bond they aren't going to Washington? Or is that a false memory of mine. Haven't seen the film in ages. Plus, it could have been a lake.. even though its clearly an ocean, but maybe it was supposed to be a lake.

The land they're on doesn't necessarily scream island, but really there's no logic behind Bond films. Cant expect an audience in England to think too hard about the US's geography.

Yes, the plane was going to Washington, but Goldfinger hijacked the aircraft, and they are on the way to Cuba hence the ocean.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bond Mystery #23 by the way, how does a jet travelling from Kentucky to DC manage to crash into the Ocean?, did they take the scenic route ?

It's not logical Mr Spock

Doesn't he say to Bond they aren't going to Washington? Or is that a false memory of mine. Haven't seen the film in ages. Plus, it could have been a lake.. even though its clearly an ocean, but maybe it was supposed to be a lake.

The land they're on doesn't necessarily scream island, but really there's no logic behind Bond films. Cant expect an audience in England to think too hard about the US's geography.

Yes, the plane was going to Washington, but Goldfinger hijacked the aircraft, and they are on the way to Cuba hence the ocean.
    This.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2013 Posts: 17,787
    It's been said by some commentators (especially in the 2002 Virgin Books book Bond Films by Jim Smith and Stephen Lavington) that the black villains all meet their commupence in one way or other at the hands of James Bond, giving out a not-very-palatable message to black audiences at the time and even since then. Quoted below is the critical passage relevant to this thread:

"The most prominent - for some the most problematic - Bond film in this respect is Live and Let Die. Some find it inherently racist that the principal villain is black., and the hero is white. Also dubious is the presentation of Solitaire - a young white girl imprisoned by, and in the power of, these villains who is saved by Bond. This reading, however, is slightly reductive. The part of Solitaire was written for a blavck woman (screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz wanted Diana Ross cast) and a white actress was only hired because Uniited Artists made clear to Eon that it would be difficult for them to sell a picture with a white leading man and a black leadiing lady in several American states.

[...]

The key problem that many have - Bond's victory over Kananga - is easy to explain. The villain ultimately loses, like so many before him, because he is up against James Bond. Bond is the hero it's his movie. End of story."

(Quoted from 'Racism?: 'Take this honky out and waste him.' Jim Smith and Stephen Lavington, Bond Films, (Virgin Film, Virgin Books, London 2002), pp. 127-128.

I believe that this critical line could not be further from the truth if it tried to be. An analysis of all of the villain deaths in LALD will bare this out:

Dr Kananga - overinflated and then blown up with a gas pellet from a shark gun
    Tee Hee - disarmed by being thrown from train window to his death due to failure of steel hook for arm
    Whisper - knocked inside a heroin watertight container and then locked inside of it - demise or otherwise besides this unknown. May still be in the container some 40 years on, 1973-2013.
    Rosie Carver - Rogue CIA agent shot dead by her own side's scarecrow face gun.
    Adam - has petrol thrown in his eyes and dies when his speedboat hits a shipwreck
    Baron Samedi - thrown into a coffin of snakes to his seeming death, but he reappears on the cowcatcher of the train Bond and Solitaire are on, laughing straight at the camera and lifting his top hat - there was talk of this character returning in a later film a la Jaws. God of Cemetaries and the Undead so his resurrection may be explained by this. (?)
    Taxi Cab Driver - in Harlem and New Orleans - survives.

This hardly seems to be excessive - both Whisper and Baron Samedi appear to have survived - I assume this was done as a sop to film audiences who didn't want the whitre James Bond to completely vanquish the black villains that he came up against in LALD.

I'd really love to hear your views on this subject area, as always.
    Bond killing Dent: "That's a Smith & Wesson, and you've had your six", memorable words that made my day on that day in 1962!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote:
    It's been said by some commentators (especially in the 2002 Virgin Books book Bond Films by Jim Smith and Stephen Lavington) that the black villains all meet their commupence in one way or other at the hands of James Bond, giving out a not-very-palatable message to black audiences at the time and even since then. Quoted below is the critical passage relevant to this thread:

"The most prominent - for some the most problematic - Bond film in this respect is Live and Let Die. Some find it inherently racist that the principal villain is black., and the hero is white. Also dubious is the presentation of Solitaire - a young white girl imprisoned by, and in the power of, these villains who is saved by Bond. This reading, however, is slightly reductive. The part of Solitaire was written for a blavck woman (screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz wanted Diana Ross cast) and a white actress was only hired because Uniited Artists made clear to Eon that it would be difficult for them to sell a picture with a white leading man and a black leadiing lady in several American states.

[...]

The key problem that many have - Bond's victory over Kananga - is easy to explain. The villain ultimately loses, like so many before him, because he is up against James Bond. Bond is the hero it's his movie. End of story."

(Quoted from 'Racism?: 'Take this honky out and waste him.' Jim Smith and Stephen Lavington, Bond Films, (Virgin Film, Virgin Books, London 2002), pp. 127-128.

I believe that this critical line could not be further from the truth if it tried to be. An analysis of all of the villain deaths in LALD will bare this out:

Dr Kananga - overinflated and then blown up with a gas pellet from a shark gun
    Tee Hee - disarmed by being thrown from train window to his death due to failure of steel hook for arm
    Whisper - knocked inside a heroin watertight container and then locked inside of it - demise or otherwise besides this unknown. May still be in the container some 40 years on, 1973-2013.
    Rosie Carver - Rogue CIA agent shot dead by her own side's scarecrow face gun.
    Adam - has petrol thrown in his eyes and dies when his speedboat hits a shipwreck
    Baron Samedi - thrown into a coffin of snakes to his seeming death, but he reappears on the cowcatcher of the train Bond and Solitaire are on, laughing straight at the camera and lifting his top hat - there was talk of this character returning in a later film a la Jaws. God of Cemetaries and the Undead so his resurrection may be explained by this. (?)
    Taxi Cab Driver - in Harlem and New Orleans - survives.

This hardly seems to be excessive - both Whisper and Baron Samedi appear to have survived - I assume this was done as a sop to film audiences who didn't want the whitre James Bond to completely vanquish the black villains that he came up against in LALD.

I'd really love to hear your views on this subject area, as always.

Theres nothing to be said really is there? The villains in LALD dont fare any better or worse than in any other Bond film do they? In fact the cab driver, Samedi and possibly Whisper survive so thats not too bad a return is it?

Just the usual PC bollocks where people can get funding for writing some nonsense from some group pushing an agenda.

You might as well say Bond is a disgusting xenophobe and colonialist because the people he kills are mostly foreign. Well as he works for MI6 most of his adversaries are going to be.

Or Bond is homophobic because he only shags women and kills the only gay characters in the films.

If youre a villain in a Bond film the odds are you will die and thats got nothing to with your colour, creed or sexuality.