The mystery of Shirley Eaton's voice being dubbed in Goldfinger

edited February 2013 in Actors Posts: 1,661
It's been claimed actress Nikki van der Zyl dubbed Shirley Eaton in Goldfinger. The thing is I've seen Shirley Eaton in other films and on tv and her voice sounded very similar/identical (?) to the voice in Goldfinger. There's no way Shirley Easton's voice was dubbed in all her tv and film roles and yet her voice sounds the same in Goldfinger and other roles she played. I dunno, there's something weird about this. I might find some clips of Miss Eaton and compare them with her scenes in Goldfinger. I might do a direct comparison and host it on Youtube.

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I would steer well away from this mate.

There are people at this website who prefer you not to ask questions like that.
  • Eaton has admitted her voice was dubbed, and she was shocked to find out when she saw the movie.

I think her other roles, she was a bit less well spoken, almost cockney. Gals were still well spoken in the 60s, esp if you had Julie Andrews, Julie Christie and Diana Rigg as stars.
    Any wagers on how long this thread goes before losing it's bump function?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Bit of a conspiracy round here involving Nikki. The people running the site have put a fair bit of effort into making sure none of us talk about her.

We've had a thread closed, then to shut people up in other threads they stopped them bumping. Then her husband and a pissed off events manager turned up.

Anyway, I wouldn't have had a problem with a cockney Bond girl but I think Nikki has done some great work for the series.
    JBFan626 wrote:

I giveit a day or two.
  • Bit of a conspiracy round here involving Nikki. The people running the site have put a fair bit of effort into making sure none of us talk about her.
    JBFan626 wrote:

I giveit a day or two.

If she did this voice acting work then we should be free to discuss it. You can't write her out of the history of Bond?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @fanbond123 I'd be most interested if you could put two scenes together to hear the difference. But I guess Nikki must've tried to sound like the original, as she did many actresses for Bond. Yhey couldn't all sound the same now could they?

And guys, yes, there have been some odd actions taken, but that was about her book, not about how well someone was dubbed. I think there's no danger as both parties admitted/claimed Sherley was dubbed.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So much for "free press" eh.
  • I'm intrigued by NapoleonPlural's comment: "I think her other roles, she was a bit less well spoken, almost cockney. Gals were still well spoken in the 60s, esp if you had Julie Andrews, Julie Christie and Diana Rigg as stars."
    I lived very close to Shirley Eaton's home in the 1960s and one day in 1965/66 plucked up the courage to knock on her door for the purpose of requesting her to sign a Time/Life magazine colour photograph of her as goldpainted Jill Masterson. She was delightful and generous with her time - most of all, I was struck by the sheer 'drop dead' beauty of her face and also the attractiveness of her voice. Having had a teenage crush on her for years, I had seen most of her films and, talking to her, I certainly was unaware that she sounded any different 'off-screen' to 'on-screen'. Certainly there was no trace whatsoever of 'cockney'. If Shirley Eaton was indeed dubbed, then it was most skilfully accomplished - though why she required dubbing is (to me) a mystery. Perhaps problems with the original sound necessitated post-production dubbing and, if Ms Eaton was perhaps already committed to filming elsewhere (maybe abroad) at the time, then the film-makers had little alternative but to have another female dub her dialogue? As Shirley Eaton's book, Golden Girl leaves the matter unresolved, perhaps someone from MI6 could ask her the direct question?

• edited March 2013 Posts: 68
    She was in a couple early episodes of the Saint (pre-Bond even) and she sounds fine, none of the thick cockney accent that we've been led to believe. It was there but not pronounced.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bit of a conspiracy round here involving Nikki. The people running the site have put a fair bit of effort into making sure none of us talk about her.

We've had a thread closed, then to shut people up in other threads they stopped them bumping. Then her husband and a pissed off events manager turned up.

Anyway, I wouldn't have had a problem with a cockney Bond girl but I think Nikki has done some great work for the series.
    JBFan626 wrote:

I giveit a day or two.

Wait, what?
    It's all here

http://mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/105/nikki-van-der-zyl-voice-dubber-extraordinaire#Item_90

They stopped the thread from bumping though so barely anybody saw it.
  • CIACIA
    Is this a conspiracy?
    CIA wrote:
    Is this a conspiracy?

It's all here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5048/nikkigate/p1

and in the thread thelivingroyale posted above. Decide for yourself whether its a coincidence that its only threads about Nikki that stop bumping.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's all here

http://mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/105/nikki-van-der-zyl-voice-dubber-extraordinaire#Item_90

How weird. When I clicked on that link @thelivingroyale and the new window opened, I was signed out on that same window.
  • It's all here

How weird. When I clicked on that link @thelivingroyale and the new window opened, I was signed out on that same window.

Same thing happened to me. Suspicious maybe, odd definitely.
  • Poor Nikki... Seems like the whole world of Bond was turned against her after she contributed so much.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    EoN has people everywhere...
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    This is quite strange. The thing that really makes this shocking is that Roger Moore, one of the nicest gentlemen to ever enter this world had his foreword removed from her book. It seems like Sir Roger was MADE to take it out, as that action doesn't befit him. This is getting about as fishy as a Hong Kong market place selling red aros.
    It's all here

Same thing happened to me. Suspicious maybe, odd definitely.

Yeah and me.

These things happen though from time to time. It's just another entirely innocent computer glitch in a thread where Nikkis name happened to crop up. Nothing suspicious in the least.

You could ask the mods why this is happening just as I asked about why the Nikki thread doesn't bump but all you will get is silence as someone has got to them just like Rog.

I imagine the next course of action will be for one of them to say 'this thread has gone off topic and there are other threads if you want to discuss Nikki' and they will close it.

So to keep us on topic I'll say if you listen to Honey saying 'rub water all over yourself it's the salt they're after' and Jill saying 'who needs it?' about the Dom Perignon the voices are uncannily similar indicating Shirley was indeed dubbed.
  • CIACIA
    Why is EON doing such a thing. Still unsure why the dubs with Nikki. fascinating news as I never knew the name before.
    @TheWizardOfIce, please stay away from grassy knolls or school book depositories. I'd hate to lose you around here. Here's to fighting the good fight. :)>-
    CIA wrote:
    Why is EON doing such a thing. Still unsure why the dubs with Nikki. fascinating news as I never knew the name before.

This has nothing to do with EON.

It all started when Roger pulled his forward from being used. ( and this is my take on it...

Roger didn't want to be linked to a failure-book with a cover design worse then the NVDZ website. )
    Kananga wrote:
    CIA wrote:

This has nothing to do with EON.

It all started when Roger pulled his forward from being used. ( and this is my take on it...

Roger didn't want to be linked to a failure-book with a cover design worse then the NVDZ website. )

That doesn't sound like something Roger would do though, at all. Hence all the confusion and suspicion. He is one of the most self-depricating actors on the planet, so I doubt bad book sales would make him pull his forward.