The Hobbit (2012 - 2014)

Comments

Well, 74 % is not a bad rating. Yes, it's below Skyfall (92 %), but above Twilight (47 %). That doesn't worry me. I'm still going to see it in the closest theater I can find.
  • I'm seeing it 48fps on Wednesday. I am probably more worried about the reviews of the technology than I am of the film. Will definitely see it again in 2d at 24fps for a comparison
    The movie will undoubtely brilliant, I myself am curious about the Tolkien addings from his other works by Jackson & wife.

I will be a happy trooper for the next year and half (next movies opening next december and summer after that).
  • I'm not going to see it because I didn't see the first 3 and the series just doesn't intrest me.

Saying that though, I'm not sure why anybody would not go and see it based on reviews. If you liked the trailers and the other films then I'd go and see it anyway.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, so far, that's what I've seen. The biggest complaint, of course, is the 48fps, but others have said how dull and lacking it is at times, though I hear 'The Hobbit' is a good bit different than the 'Lord of the Rings' books.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,767
    I saw it today, and I dare say the visual appearance has nothing to do whatsoever with the frame rate, but was a creative decision. The film definitely targets a younger audience, which makes it appear to adults at times a bit like a video game, but not as far as the visuals are concerned but rather as far as the action is concerned. I read something before about the film taking awfully long to get into gear, which I cannot back up in the least. More correct would be to say that the first third is much more funny than LOTR, the second is more mysterious, and the third is more of a roller coaster. It definitely is a big adventure. And it´s not like TLOTR.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I heard today that most of the Howard Shore soundtrack ended up not being used in the film, much to the shock and disappointment of many, instead being substituted by LOTR themes. Did you notice anything @boldfinger?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Sandy wrote:
    I heard today that most of the Howard Shore soundtrack ended up not being used in the film, much to the shock and disappointment of many, instead being substituted by LOTR themes. Did you notice anything @boldfinger?

What?! How? Why? Are they crazy?...
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

What?! How? Why? Are they crazy?...

I don't know how it happened but apparently it's true. It is such a great soundtrack, nobody understands why Jackson did that.
    I'm suddenly looking forward to this film far less. :|
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Sandy wrote:
    First of all: It´s impossible that "most of the soundtrack" was replaced with LOTR tracks, since most of the soundtrack deals with new themes, i.e. new characters. Shore was very character-oriented already in LOTR, so it would be instantly recognisable if new characters had themes from LOTR characters.

I didn´t notice any differences to the CD release, which obviously also contains well-known themes for returning characters, but the recordings were not the ones from LOTR I´m sure, they were the ones on the CD. The Hobbit theme was there quite often, but not the way I remember it from LOTR. I definitely like the new takes better.
    Anyone who liked the music so far should go, the dwarf theme is impressive.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I saw the film today and this is what happened. I went to watch it in 3d but the 3d looked odd. We all had our 3d shades on and it still looked like one was watching a 3d film without the 3G shades. That being said, if you could get past that the film just looked....strange in general. People started walking out and then the movie stopped. The manager of the conema apologised and said something about how the 3d wasn't synching with the frame rate gobbledee-gook. So, we went into another screening that was about to start in 5 mins which was in 2d...thankfully and I actually enjoyed the film. I wasn't dissapointed, although I would have liked to see more of Smaug but after watching the first teaser late last year or in January of this year, I wasn't really impressed but after seeing it and enjoying the movie, I'll see it again for sure.
    Hmmmm? Critics gave mixed reviews? Appears the same could be said on here too?
    htall90 wrote:

I want it to do well so MGM do not get into financial trouble again! Don't want another long pause for a Bond movie again! X_X
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    You'd hope this film can get near $400 million in the US but it may not even reach $350 million. Still with over $900 million overseas, we could be in for a $1.3 billion total. This is a massive film! Can't wait to watch it soon.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    You'd hope this film can get near $400 million in the US but it may not even reach $350 million. Still with over $900 million overseas, we could be in for a $1.3 billion total. This is a massive film! Can't wait to watch it soon.

Same here samuel, both me and my girlfriend are looking forward to this movie!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote:
    htall90 wrote:

I want it to do well so MGM do not get into financial trouble again! Don't want another long pause for a Bond movie again! X_X

Skyfall has helped that.
    The hobbit was always going to a huge box office success as no film has better good will in recent history going into it's opening weekend of the back of previous films. I mean the love for LOTR trilogy from the general public is unreal universally loved this will benefit The Hobbit Hugely. LOTR is this generations Star wars! Seeing it tonight at the IMAX only way truly you can see it. Can't wait never been more hyped to see a film in my life!
  • Despite mixed reviews will watch it on Tuesday. Curious to see the clarity of 48fps.
    I've never seen LOTR (I'm not sure why, I'm sure I'd love them) but I saw The Hobbit at midnight and while there was some excellent acting, visual effects, and action scenes, I found the movie on a whole rather dull. It seemed long for the sake of having to be long
    BOX OFFICE: THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY Is Already Breaking Records

It's only been open for a day, but The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is already breaking records in North America!
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is set to be the biggest Christmas release of all-time reports Deadline. According to their sources, Peter Jackson's return to Middle-Earth looks set to earn $37 million for yesterday and around $96 million for the weekend with an 'A' CinemaScore. While Warner Bros. are still being a little more conservative with their estimates, this is still the biggest opening Friday in December and biggest December weekend for the domestic box office ever. The film has already taken the top spot overseas with $27.3 million from 42 locations. It has so far earned $1.6 million on IMAX screens. According to "MovieTickets", advance ticket sales have seen 18% wanting to see the film in standard 3D, 8% in High Frame Rate 3D and 7% in IMAX 3D.
  • RC7RC7
    Ignore the mixed reviews, I thought the film was fantastic. I'd happily go and watch it again today. Jackson was born to tell these stories.
  • I've only seen the LotR films once and I loved them. I really enjoyed this film, probably about 7.5 or 8 out of 10, but it really did feel long just for the sake of being long. Need to go back and watch the LotR trilogy again.
    The great news is the next films should be shorter. None of the films topping the three hour mark would be nice.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    On opening the final film in July, it's been said:

"We wanted to have a shorter gap between the second and third films of The Hobbit Trilogy. Opening in July affords us not only the perfect summer tentpole, but fans will have less time to wait for the finale of this epic adventure."

"The Hobbit: There and Back Again opening in the summer will maximize playability for what promises to be an event film for fans the world over."

I still think after five films in December and with Warner's seeing the Box Office takings pile in, the last film may be pushed back.

Well they have pushed it back, after all that. The last film is now coming out on 17th December 2014.

“The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” the final film in Peter Jackson’s trilogy adaptation of the timeless classic The Hobbit, will now be released on December 17, 2014. The joint announcement was made today by Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution and Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, President of International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The film moves from its previous summer slot, and now follows the holiday release pattern of “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” which went on to become a billion-dollar global blockbuster, as well as the three films in the blockbuster “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy. The second film in “The Hobbit” Trilogy, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” is next to be released, on December 13, 2013. All three films in the Trilogy are productions of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM).

Stated Fellman, “We’re excited to complete the Trilogy the same way we started it, as a holiday treat for moviegoers everywhere.”

Added Kwan Vandenberg, “Our holiday release of the first film set a successful precedent for this wonderful Trilogy, and we’re delighted to bring it to a conclusion in the same release window.”

From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” the final film in an epic Trilogy adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. The three films tell a continuous story set in Middle-earth 60 years before “The Lord of the Rings,” which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar ®-winning “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

Jackson directed “The Hobbit: There and Back Again” from a screenplay by Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson. Jackson is also producing the film, together with Carolynne Cunningham, Zane Weiner and Fran Walsh. The executive producers are Alan Horn, Toby Emmerich, Ken Kamins and Carolyn Blackwood, with Boyens and Eileen Moran serving as co-producers.

All three films in “The Hobbit” Trilogy are productions of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), with New Line managing production. Warner Bros. Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television distribution being handled by MGM.
    the basterds :((
    The additional 10 weeks of filming began on Monday and should conclude at the end of July.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm excited either way. I never saw the LOTR trilogy until two summers ago, and I just saw 'The Hobbit' on blu-ray the other night. It was so good, I had to purchase it off Amazon. Maybe now I'll finally see the last two parts of this trilogy in theaters.
    Just caught Desolation of Smaug trailer online

Can't say I'm very happy with it. Thranduil, Elvenking looks and sounds amazing but the rest? Wasn't impressed by Tauriel, the Jackson-made elf, in fact I don't think I like her at all (perhaps I'm too purist but was willing to give it a try). Smaug doesn't look as epic as I thought.