Bond 24 pre production has started

14567810»

Comments

doubleoego wrote:
    QoS was bad because of factors that had nothing to do with a fundamental 2 year gap. A lack of script and a poor style of directing and editing hurt the movie.

This...
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 584
    doubleoego wrote:
    QoS was bad because of factors that had nothing to do with a fundamental 2 year gap. A lack of script and a poor style of directing and editing hurt the movie.

The script sucked because of the strike and Haggis, Pervis or Wade couldn't be called in for any rewrites or clarification. What Foster inherited was a practically a draft - he was forced to input many of his own ideas because he was the only person (aside from Craig and Michael G. Wilson) that could. Had they delayed the film just for another 6 months the strike would've ended, the trio would've written a better script and a more concrete story would've been given.

I also like to note that before Foster was hired the producers wanted Roger Mitchell to direct. Why did he opt out? Because there was no script. Taking the time to polish out a central movie idea isn't just necessary to make a good Bond story, but it attracts directors and other actors in facilitating their vision and ideas. This is why Mendes stayed on for Skyfall even when it was delayed - with the 4 year gap he not only had time to collaborate with Logan on Peter Morgan's ideas, but he could streamlined them into making what works in his style and provide to other actors what he wants them to be within the Bond world.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah but a Bond film doesn't need as much time as SF did to be great. That being said, as great as SF is, if it takes 3 or 4 years to get a script if such quality then that's not exactly encouraging. SF is heavily flawed and could have been better abd tge script was worked on for as long as it was because there was nothing else to do. Why sit around doing nothing when one can tweak things to a script when time is on your side? The way I see it is, if you have the right people in place and manage your time well, which seems to be the case for Bond 24 then one doesn't need to wait 3 or 4 years. In addition, some of the best ideas come when one doesn't have unlimited time on their hands. When there's too much time available it's easy to over-tweak things and ruine things.
    Time is obviously important but a Bond movie doesn't need more than a 2 year cycle, especially if the right people are involved.
    Getafix wrote:
    Are you having a go at Bond fans or John Glen or both?

Imo Glen gave us some excellent films. Give me TLD over anything post-Glen. It's the last classic Bond movie IMO.

It depends on how you define classic. Is it the collection of elements or the execution? I can understand how some people think that TLD was the last "classic" Bond film in terms of some of the elements contained within the film, but the execution was good but not great. I much prefer the direction of Campbell (in both GE and CR) or Mendes to Glen. Glen had some nice touches (his use of push shots to give a scene more energy) but his "style", such as it was, was pretty played out by the end of his tenure IMHO.

Skyfall was the last classic Bond film IMO obviously!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Man, if Bond 24 comes out in 2015 there will be so much competition.
  • Man, if Bond 24 comes out in 2015 there will be so much competition.

What other big films are coming out?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Man, if Bond 24 comes out in 2015 there will be so much competition.

What other big films are coming out?

Star Wars
    Avengers 2
    Fantastic Four
    Pirates of the Caribbean 5
    Ant Man
    Justice League(?)
    Mission Impossible V

and a few more maybes. That's not even mentioning films that studios haven't green-lit yet. Expect that list to exponentially grow next year.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Ahhh yes but if we get bond 24 in 2014 then we will be up against the mighty jurassic park 4!
    Ner ner ner nerr ner ner ner ner ner ner nerrrrrrrrrr
    I think it should be commercially wise to make Bond 24 as soon as possible in order to gain from the SF effect.
    Avatar 2 also comes out in 2015.
  • How can they end Skyfall with such a great tease and then expect us to wait one more year than they originally said? That's just plain mean :)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2013 Posts: 5,921
    doubleoego wrote:
    with the 4 year gap he not only had time to collaborate with Logan on Peter Morgan's ideas

Morgan is on record that the only part of his treatment that survived is "M dies."
    so that was his big twist..... ok interesting enough
    P&W are also on record that they had considered killing M in QoS.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    echo wrote:

When? In the opening scene?

We lucked out there, we'd have missed all this great Bond/M relationship stuff and missed out on Skyfall's moving ending. What makes the ending so effective is that Bond and M shared a long time with each other, and that shows and pays off in Skyfall, making the end even well done.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I just want a Bond film in 2014. They should try and get as many films as possible from Craig before he gets too old and they should try and capitalise on Skyfall's success.

Plus, I'm sick of all these long gaps. I miss having a Bond film every 2 years and I'd like a return to that.

So I'd rather have a Bond film in 2014 even if it means Mendes doesn't return.

totally agree. November 2014, book it. please!

echo wrote:

When? In the opening scene?

We lucked out there, we'd have missed all this great Bond/M relationship stuff and missed out on Skyfall's moving ending. What makes the ending so effective is that Bond and M shared a long time with each other, and that shows and pays off in Skyfall, making the end even well done.

I think they said about halfway through the film. It was on their SF radio interview.
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    Risico007 wrote:
    no problem i am just happy because i remember after Quantum of solace i loved the film was pumped and Michael G wilson broke my heart when he said "bond 23 is not even a twinkling in an eye"

So luckily i can go into Skyfall thinking bond 24 work has begun

And yes I am one of 8 people who loved Quantum of solace :D

9! 9!! ^_^
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Very nice! Things look set for January or so I hope. Thanks @Tuulia.

I haven't got time now to find it but the original Showbiz link may tell us more.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Nice find, @Tuulia. We might actually get our 2014 Bond film after all! \:D/
    echo wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    with the 4 year gap he not only had time to collaborate with Logan on Peter Morgan's ideas

Morgan is on record that the only part of his treatment that survived is "M dies."

That's not my quote.
    Tuulia wrote:

I hope not that would bring craig's total to 6 which while i would of preffer 7 or 8 is a good number honestly.
    ^^ I meant that since he has signed for 2 more, it would surprise me if it was now suddenly 3 more. If another one was added later, I'd be very happy if he still wanted to do another one at that point, but that'll be years from now. When the actor himself says he's signed on for two and always just really talks about wanting to do another one (in other words just one at a time, despite any contracts - both sides could surely get out of that contract if they really wanted to), then another actor "knowing" it'll actually be 3 sounds like a mistake - probably of Whishaw, though whoever transcribed the interview might have screwed up as well.
  • The writers strike really hurt production, not as directly as the 2 yr gap. If another film will be released in 2014, it wouldn't have the same limitations that QOS faced.

doubleoego wrote:
    Yeah but a Bond film doesn't need as much time as SF did to be great. That being said, as great as SF is, if it takes 3 or 4 years to get a script if such quality then that's not exactly encouraging. SF is heavily flawed and could have been better abd tge script was worked on for as long as it was because there was nothing else to do. Why sit around doing nothing when one can tweak things to a script when time is on your side? The way I see it is, if you have the right people in place and manage your time well, which seems to be the case for Bond 24 then one doesn't need to wait 3 or 4 years. In addition, some of the best ideas come when one doesn't have unlimited time on their hands. When there's too much time available it's easy to over-tweak things and ruine things.
    Time is obviously important but a Bond movie doesn't need more than a 2 year cycle, especially if the right people are involved.

Exactly. Compared with some of Maibaum's amazing scripts, SF is pretty weak. If it took 4 years to write, that is certainly not reflected in the quality of the end product. QoS was banged out under extreme pressure but I don't personally think the writing is particularly inferior to SF. I understand FRWL and LTK both also had incomplete scripts when filming began but they're now regarded as two of the best in the series.

What EON obviously lacks is an effective process for ensuring that by the time one film is released, the next is well into pre-production. I thought MGW used to co-write the scripts, so I really would have thought this was something that he'd be all over - making sure that there is a story at the very least being knocked around well in advance of the next release.
  • As said before, the director really has the ability to bring out the best of a good script. We see this in QOS as the last half of the movie does a lot with little dialogue.....u could feel intense character dialogue at Yusef's apartment.