TSWLM appreciation thread

2»

Comments

• Yeah, I wasnt for sure .

I understood killing them on Atlantis like the female secretary wasnt a good idea because they didnt live there like she did. A helicopter exploding with the pilot looks like an accident and people might not suspect anything and come after him.

I just didnt know if they were in on the "selling" of the plans like she was.
    Does the Spy who Loved Me get a bad deal on these pages?, can't say I ever noticed such a thing. Not a Bond release that gets berated often, as most critics and neutrals alike think it's one of the best or most legendary of the entire series. Bit of an exaggeration it seems, but all most people seem to think about is the jump off the mountain at the very start, and seem to forget the other One hour and Fifty minutes of the movie. It has the lovely Bach, always justifies a watch, Kurt Jurgens is wasted as the lacklustre Stromberg, and the whole plot is simply what followed in Moonraker, but this time with the use of water. Genuinely do not like the Simon theme tune, always a bit of a struggle to listen, but seems almost of Beethoven or Tchaikovsky equivalents compared with the awful crap efforts of some recent Bond releases

Haven't seen this for some time, but will try for another watch when time permits itself. Moore was still plausible in his third outing, and there wasn't too much humor going on from last I recall, at least not for your average Moore Bond film. Richard Kiel should never have returned after this

Maybe my, 7th or 8th favorite Bond release, but these rankings will always be subject to change
    @Baltimore_007: You're right, TSWLM has kind of been a mystery to me on this forum as well. It is not one of the typically despised Bond movies like DAD, TMWTGG, MR, and the like, but from what I've seen, it isn't in the ranks of the typically praised Bond movies like FRWL, OHMSS, CR, and the like. I've seen people regard it as classic, but I haven't seen many praise it as there favorite or even second favorite. I for one think it's just all right, kind of in the middle.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    He was testing out his helicopter explosion button.
  • lol echo. Just seeing if it works, eh...

This movie is one of the best Bond movies. If somebody on this forum would say it's their favorite , I wouldnt question it at all.
    This one doesn't seem to be overley praised on here but I would say it is definitley in my top 5, everything is done with such confidence, the PTS is classic, Roger Moore is brilliant, Jaws is still a decent character, Barbara Bach is lovely there is a good mixture of a lighter and serious moments, all in all a brilliantly executed Bond film.
  • RC7RC7
    lol echo. Just seeing if it works, eh...

This movie is one of the best Bond movies. If somebody on this forum would say it's their favorite , I wouldnt question it at all.

It's my favourite. Think I've mentioned it before, but I agree, I don't see too much love on here.
    Spy is a classic Bond film which arrived exactly when the series needed it most. Bond needed to become bigger to keep with the competition and quell the "TV movie" standard the series had slipped into in the 70s. Spy delivered in a big way and is rightfully regarded as one of the biggest, best and most important films of the franchise.
    Possibly Moore's best movie? And ofcourse one of the most iconic henchman!
    I don't think this movie gets a bad rap from fans. If it has I must have missed that one complaint from whoever he was. Though not as fresh as LALD it's certainly bigger and has a better henchman in the shape of 7’ 2” tall Richard Kiel. Though I do wish they had kept the original name found in the novel rather than riding the current pop-culture of the times and naming him after Spielberg’s sea dwelling moster Jaws. For the record, Fleming writes him as a steel-mouthed hood named Horror. Despite this and a few other grumbles, I still find TSWLM a totally enjoyable experience. What's not to like? It even has Hammer Horror's foxy babe Caroline Munro, though I do wish they had used her a bit more in the movie.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited August 2012 Posts: 4,312
    I saw it as a boy and it was the biggest movie I had ever seen. I remember my anticipation all summer long before its release when newspapers published the first scenes of that white Lotus Esprit S1 - under water! - I still want one today. TSWLM made me the Bond fan I am today and I did not know it was a remake of an even older one before it. Despite some flaws (the unnecessary scene at the pyramids comes to mind), it has great cinematography that easily lives up to today's standards. Jaws is iconic and not yet spoiled by the stupid script in Moonraker. Carly Simon's title song has that special Bond quality that only a few other titles have got. And finally good old Roger looked better than ever in the role.
  • Love it. Moore's best film and one of my favourites. I rank it 4th, after the Dalton flicks and Goldeneye.

If anybody is intrested I posted a more detailed review here.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3472/the-spy-who-loved-me-1977#Item_2

This film really deserves more praise on here than it gets. It's a classic.
    Spy is unadulterated pleasure from start to finish. Brilliant, joyful, sometimes silly but more often just utterly enjoyable. One of my top 5.
    Love it. Moore's best film and one of my favourites. I rank it 4th, after the Dalton flicks and Goldeneye.

If anybody is intrested I posted a more detailed review here.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3472/the-spy-who-loved-me-1977#Item_2

This film really deserves more praise on here than it gets. It's a classic.

No... Not GE at number 3. Must be some mishtake, shurely? Has someone tip-exed your F key?
  • The first time I saw this on ABC tv back as a kid I thought it was the greatest Bond of all time
  • It's hard to make a distinction between a discussions forum and a funeral parlor on these pages sometimes, but only to say Spy is a decent watch and Kiel gets it right here, instead of the ill advised return in Moonraker, and Barbara Bach is one of the best looking Bond girls of all time, even if her character was nothing near Oscar worthy. Jurgens makes for an adequate villain but the Simon theme intro is a disaster and something almost belligerent. The opening with the ski jump is greatly overrated and merely some exaggerated hyperbole, but for the most part, the film does work well with some memorable sequences, not least the Lotus Esprit coming out of the ocean, but it's never going to win James Bond release of the century

Goodnight
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,425
    I thought Spy fans might appreciate this. Stunts like stunts used to be...

• My favourite Roger Moore Bond film. It had all the elements done right for what people expect in a Bond film. This along with Goldfinger, and Goldeneye kept the plot simple and focused more on the action and the supporting character interactions Bond has with (XXX). Jaws is the best Bond henchman ever, Moore performed his campy Bond at his best and made campyness look cool.
    Getafix wrote:
    I thought Spy fans might appreciate this. Stunts like stunts used to be...

That is just incredible!
    Could do wit a bit of that in Bond, I reckon.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,043
    @BondJasonBond006 don't normally see eye to eye on things Bond but have to admit I'm in a similar ball park with Spy Who Loved Me.

Top 5 for me, my favourite Moore film and would argue his best.

Always will have a special place for me as it was my first film on the big screen and my first Bond film period.

Never fails to entertain and I think Rog really cemented his Bond persona here.

I know some like his more harder edged attempts in LALD & MWTGG but I don't think he was comfortable with the way he came across in those films, SWLM for me out of the 3 films that essentially took the same plot and reworked it, YOLT first and then MR after it, this is where it's most successful yes both have better scores but Spy gets a killer theme tune.

Also always thought Rog best suited to these big battle epics than Connery was, it might have started with GF but Connery will always be at his strongest for me from DN - FRWL.

Strangely enough the last Bond film I watched and on Blu ray it's a treat.
    In the news today, they found 30 sealed coffins under a mound behind the Asasif Necropolis on the west bank of the Nile river in Luxor, dating back 3,000 years. Got me thinking about TSWLM and Roger Moore filming in Egypt. It must've been fun and interesting for him back then, at Karnak, right across the Nile from this new burial find. Then walking at the Abu Simbel temple(s), before the scene with M, General Gogol and Anya. I didn't know Abu Simbel was right at Egypt's southern border. Luxor is about 660 km south of Cairo, so when Bond and Anya hop in the back of Jaws' van in Cairo, that ride to Luxor in real time would take 6 to 7 hours, assuming Jaws would've driven around 100 kilometers an hour, and if he went faster who would've dared to give him a ticket. They also could've done a scene where he pulled off the road for a danish and coffee break. Someday I might travel to Egypt. Wikipedia says about the Giza Plateau scene, "While the Great Sphinx of Giza was shot on the location, lighting problems caused the pyramids to be replaced with miniatures."