Rank the Guy Hamiton Bonds films (Poll added)

Comments

1. Live and Let Die- the best of Hamilton's in my opinion. It's got the villains, the soundtrack, a spot-on Roger performance, and there's plenty of fun to be had
    2. Diamonds Are Forever- contrary to most opinions, I enjoy DAF every time I watch it. The villains are there, the locations are varied and exciting, and the soundtrack is quite impressive
    3. The Man with the Golden Gun- It's growing on me in previous watchings, I've been very surprised at my pleasure when watching it. Scaramanga is a perfect villain for Roger's 007, the locations are exotic, the plot is simple and yet never fails to thrill, and I adore Roger's hard-edged performance

4. Goldfinger- Ergh! Never have been a gigantic fan of this one. It's pretty dull and lacking in almost everything if you ask me.
  • LALD
    GF
    DAF

TMWTGG
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    TMWTGG
    LALD
    GF
    DAF
  • GF
    TMWTGG
    LALD

DAF
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    GF
    TMWTGG
    LALD

DAF

Ha, ha, ha. Love it. I'd go with that, just swap LALD and TMWTGG…and also put quite a gap between Goldfinger and the rest!
    Goldfinger

Live & Let Die
    Diamonds

Golden Gun
    1.) Goldfinger
    2.) Diamonds are Forever
    3.) The Man with the Golden Gun
    4.) Live and Let Die
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,964
    1. The Man with the Golden Gun
    2. Goldfinger
    3. Diamonds are Forever
    4. Live and Let Die
    1. Goldfinger
    2. Live and Let Die
    3. Diamonds are Forever

4. The Man With the Golden Gun
    1. Goldfinger
    2. Live and Let Die
    3. The Man With The Golden Gun
    4. Diamonds Are Forever.

I think all guy hamiltons bond films are flawed but i prefer GF and LALD
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,687
    MrBond wrote:
    TMWTGG

I agree, this is Hamilton's best Bond IMO.

GF wouldn't be HALF as appreciated as it is if not for Oddjob & the DB5.
    DAF is very classy, but really silly & lightweight in too many spots to be a classic Bond.
    LALD has a great score, and Jane Seymour, but it's so sleight, and its villain's demise is not only stupid in its concept, it's even crappier in its execution.

For all its drawbacks, TMWTGG is the ONLY Hamilton Bond I can watch repeatedly now & still get a major kick out of.

So for me, it's:
    TMWTGG
    DAF
    GF
    LALD
  • 1.Goldfinger
    2.The Man With The Golden Gun
    3.Live And Let Die
    4.Diamonds Are Forever
  • #1 Live and Let Die
    #2 The Man With The Golden Gun
    #3 Goldfinger
    #4 Diamonds are Forever

one and two will never change positions, while the others fight it out every now and again near the bottom for poor James Bond releases
    #1 Live and Let Die
    #2 The Man With The Golden Gun
    #3 Goldfinger
    #4 Diamonds are Forever
    Lemme just say that objectively, LALD IS better than DAF & GF, it's just Kananga's ending I can't deal with. :O
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Goldfinger

Live & Let Die
    Diamonds

Golden Gun

Would agree with this.

GF was seminal and perfected the blueprint that, like it or not, changed things from mere Fleming Bond to film Bond and it is film Bond that the public have loved for 50 years no matter what the Fleming purists think. It's far from my favourite but its very polished and the rest of Hamiltons films try and recreate that magic with varying rates of success.

LALD and DAF are both flawed (DAF to a greater extent) but they remain tremendous fun at all times.

TMWTGG is no more or less flawed than DAF but it ranks below it as the script is more of a dull plod than packed with wit and fun.

Lets be clear though ALL of Hamiltons films are probably bottom half. GF is around the middle, LALD not far behind it and the other two are bottom 5.

TMWTGG is no more or less flawed than DAF but it ranks below it as the script is more of a dull plod than packed with wit and fun.

TMWTGG has a strange almost haunting quality about it, what with the echo-y tunes Barry was producing at the time along with the wax replicas being played by real people ( I used to think that was stupid as a kid, but the ones they make today are THAT GOOD!), the Nic Nac weirdness trying to get Scaramanga killed... it was just a singular, fascinating Bond movie IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:

TMWTGG has a strange almost haunting quality about it, what with the echo-y tunes Barry was producing at the time along with the wax replicas being played by real people ( I used to think that was stupid as a kid, but the ones they make today are THAT GOOD!), the Nic Nac weirdness trying to get Scaramanga killed... it was just a singular, fascinating Bond movie IMO.

Wholeheartedly agree. 'Gun' has a weirdness that makes it all the more compelling. I also love the opening scene with NicNac carrying a tray of Tabasco sauce while Scaramanga caresses Andreas skin with his gun - so strange, so creepy!

I think what turns people off to the film, is that it is so strange and probably the most far out of the Bond films, with LALD also in this camp. When one thinks Bond in a film like FRWL, full of espionage and Cold War powerplays, TMWTGG seems a far cry.

Guys, I just now finished watching TMWTGG again (my new Ultimate DVD of it), and it was as great as ever (but it looked prettier). This is SO definitely my favourite Moore Bond. I *LOVE* that Scaramanga dies, and then the movie continues because the mission isn't complete. His twisted stupid fascination with Bond was his weakness, and Bond exploited it. Goodnight in that bikini, the music, the Meddings miniature detonations... I'm at a loss to explain how my fellow Bond fans can't totally love this flick. :-O
    chrisisall wrote:
    Goodnight in that bikini, the music, the Meddings miniature detonations... I'm at a loss to explain how my fellow Bond fans can't totally love this flick. :-O

If the best things you can list about it are an admittedly fit bird in a bikini and Derek Meddings blowing some models up (and IMO Scaramanagas car/plane and the control room explosion are very obviously done with minatures and far from Meddings great work in, say, MR) then I think you have the answer as to why you're virtually on your own in thinking TMWGG is great.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    My ranking:
    1. Goldfinger
    2. The Man with the Golden Gun
    3. Live and Let Die
    4. Diamonds Are Forever
    I think you have the answer as to why you're virtually on your own in thinking TMWGG is great.
    Yeah I'm totally out there. I also love TND, TLD & TB, so what do I know?
    :P
    chrisisall wrote:
    I think you have the answer as to why you're virtually on your own in thinking TMWGG is great.
    Yeah I'm totally out there. I also love TND, TLD & TB, so what do I know?
    :P

Well at least one of those is a great Bond film so maybe theres a sliver of hope for you.
    Well at least one of those is a great Bond film so maybe theres a sliver of hope for you.

L-) ;)) :)>-
  • LALD
    DAF
    TMWTGG
    GF
    LALD
    DAF
    TMWTGG
    GF

My exact ranking as well! Excellent tastes, my friend!
  • 00Beast wrote:
    LALD
    DAF
    TMWTGG
    GF

My exact ranking as well! Excellent tastes, my friend!

Thankyou sir ;-)
  • 1. Goldfinger :)
    2. Live and Let Die
    3. The Man With The Golden Gun
    4. Diamonds are Forever :(
    DAF is definitley the weakest of this lot for me, it just never seems to get going.

LALD and TMWTGG are a cracking double bill, GF for all it's flaws is still a decent film and high in the Connery rankings.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 174
    1. Goldfinger
    2. Live and Let DIe
    3. Diamonds are Forever

4. The Man with the Golden GUN

Can't believe so many people rate DAF so lowly, Have none of you got a sense of humour :))
    TMWTGG is one of the most mundane of all the Bonds, at least DAF is entertaining.
    And to everyone who rated GF last I am speechless!!
    1. Goldfinger
    2. Live and Let DIe
    3. Diamonds are Forever

4. The Man with the Golden GUN

Can't believe so many people rate DAF so lowly, Have none of you got a sense of humour :))
    TMWTGG is one of the most mundane of all the Bonds, at least DAF is entertaining.
    And to everyone who rated GF last I am speechless!!

No doubt there are some great gags in DAF and it does have it's moments, it just feels a bit slow and the finale is really poor.