SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Sandy wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    See, I watched the original Swedish Millennium films and just can't see Craig as Blomkvist as a result. Michael Nyqvist played him as a far more down to earth person. Craig comes with too much action hero baggage. And Noomi Rapace will always be Lisbeth. I'm not really bothered about the English language versions now and I'd rather see more Bond.

I read the books before the swedish films were made and Blomkvist has Daniel Craig written all over him, I pictured him while I was reading the books. The swedish films made a joke out of Blomkvist, completely changed him and also changed Lisbeth a lot. Suddenly Lisbeth was superwoman and Blomkvist was almost useless. Fincher's film, on the contraire, kept the characters true to the books.

Right - saying he has to much action hero behaviour in this role only shows, this person hasn't seen the film, as it couldn't be further from the truth. DC's Blomkvist is as laid back as it gets and is played as a man, who runs from bullets and is a sissy with being hurt. Henever dominates any of the characters or is shown as more then an average man doing his job.

Some people forget or never knew, that he only an action hero for a relatively short time and his roots are in acting out the small man, the hounted man or just overall characters, who are as far removed from a hero as they can be.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I pictured Dan when I read the first two as well. Funnily enough, I read both TGTWDD and TGWPWF when the weather was getting frosty and cold. I feel it sets the mood better than anything else, and I may wait until next November to read TGWKTHN just for that feeling. Though, not likely!
  • AliAli
    Germanlady wrote:
    saying he has to much action hero behaviour in this role only shows, this person hasn't seen the film

Read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    Craig comes with too much action hero baggage.

There's a difference.
    Ali wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    saying he has to much action hero behaviour in this role only shows, this person hasn't seen the film

Read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    Craig comes with too much action hero baggage.

There's a difference.

I read it exactly like that, only I can see NO baggage at all. Its in your mind, like...oh, he is JB, so he cannot possibly be a convincing Blomkvist. If you watch him in this role, there is no reminder of Bond whatsoever.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah, Dan plays the quite light and non-combative Blomkvist well.
  • AliAli
    edited February 2013 Posts: 319
    Germanlady wrote:

I read it exactly like that, only I can see NO baggage at all. Its in your mind, like...oh, he is JB, so he cannot possibly be a convincing Blomkvist. If you watch him in this role, there is no reminder of Bond whatsoever.

baggage (noun) emotional burdens from one's past.

He doesn't need to be an action hero on screen. hence the point in saying "baggage". In much the same way as I can't watch Pierce in Mamma Mia because it's too absurd to see Bond singing incredibly badly. It's, most likely, why I never gelled with Dalton, because to me he's still Prince Barin of Mongo:

timothy-dalton-as-barin-in-flash-gordon.jpg

And, yes, I've watched all 4 Millenium films for your information. Don't be so defensive and reactionary simply because someone dared to criticise your beloved Daniel.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ Ali - so... you're actually NOT criticizing the actor(s), but the real problem is your own inability to see them in other roles. I don't share that view, but I understand it. I also think it's easier for people who've seen actors in many very different kinds of roles - in this case DC both before and after his Bond role. He has successfully played tragic characters, utter bastards, victims, heroes, he's gotten to play characters that are lovable, who are creepy, who are mad, who are active, who are passive, who are intelligent, who are fools, who know what to do, who have no clue. If you mostly know him as Bond, then I understand the "baggage" you talk of, but that's baggage you have regarding him, not him as an actor. :) He had done very un-Bond-like roles for a long time before being cast as Bond, and has done many after it as well. Besides, he had trouble imagining himself playing Bond initially. :P
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Wise words @Tuulia.
    Thanks, @Sandy. :)
  • AliAli
    The only thing I saw Craig in prior to CR was Layer Cake and I see a fair bit of the smug, self assured character from that in Bond so, no, I haven't seen him in much else. And I still prefer the Swedish Dragon Tattoo. I preferred the directing, the editing, the lack of Fincher's stylised cinematography and the sheer normality that Michael Nyqvist portrayed. It might not be accurate to the books which my wife has read but I haven't gotten round to, but I preferred it regardless. And my wife also prefers the Swedish version as well.
    Yes, its a bit narrow minded, Ali, as an actor always plays different roles and if many would think like you, every one of them could go packing after their first role. Some are always playing themselves, but others, like DC, are good enough to be convincing in many different characters. This is their job and as in other professions, there are bad ones, good ones and those, who are brilliant at what they do.
    I still say, if you go open minded into watching Tattoo, you cannot, by all means, being bothered by the fact, that this actor is Bond in another life. There is no trace of that and so its just in your imagination.

..and yes, LC brought the prods attention to him as Bond. He CAN be like that, but he CAN be VERY different.
    The director of the Swedish series-turned-movies himself admitted he tried to emulate Fincher's style of directing in the films, I think this is an interesting information for those who didn't follow the whole thing /:)
  • AliAli
    Sandy wrote:
    The director of the Swedish series-turned-movies himself admitted he tried to emulate Fincher's style of directing in the films, I think this is an interesting information for those who didn't follow the whole thing /:)

The irony is, IMO he failed to do that and managed to create something different in the process, and something I happened to prefer.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Yes, its a bit narrow minded, Ali,

Cheers for your persistent criticism Germanlady. Highly welcoming.
    Ali wrote:

Cheers for your persistent criticism Germanlady. Highly welcoming.

Well, but it is - narrow minded. Hasen't even anything to do with DC, he is just an example of how you perceive things. You will have a hard time to prove otherwise, if you cannot accept actors in different roles. :)
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2013 Posts: 10,512
    Germanlady wrote:
    I still say, if you go open minded into watching Tattoo, you cannot, by all means, being bothered by the fact, that this actor is Bond in another life. There is no trace of that and so its just in your imagination.

Every time I see Craig I see Bond. As Ali says, it's the baggage that comes with the territory. Unfortunately, as good an actor as Craig is, he is not the exceptional one that is held aloft in this forum. For that, you would have to look at someone such as Gary Oldman. One of the most versatile and gifted actors I've ever seen. Craig doesn't come close, by comparison.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    You will have a hard time to prove otherwise, if you cannot accept actors in different roles. :)

It's the actor's job to draw you in, not the viewers job to cut the actor some slack.

Are you sure, you are answering to my arguments and not to me? You and I like a good argument with each other, but at times, like now, I feel, you are just trying to find something to be contra.
    What you say basically is - that unless you are - in your mind - as great as Oldman as an actor, you better not bother to play more then one role.
    Of course, there is such a word as typecast and the bigger the role or a franchise the bigger the danger, you become that.
    But if you watch Tattoo and see Bond - then its certainly not the actors fault, as there is no Bond in his Blomkvist.

You MIGHT have read me bashing C&A and one or another film, so I am not always complimenting him. But here its due.
  • AliAli
    RC7 wrote:
    Every time I see Craig I see Bond. As Ali says, it's the baggage that comes with the territory. Unfortunately, as good an actor as Craig is, he is not the exceptional one that is held aloft in this forum. For that, you would have to look at someone such as Gary Oldman. One of the most versatile and gifted actors I've ever seen. Craig doesn't come close, by comparison.

Good point, and Christian Bale as well. When I see Bale, I don't see Batman or John Connor in other films. I don't even see the boy from Empire Of The Sun. Bale can act. Not to Oldman's level, but few can. Both can blend into a movie and you simply accept them as the character.
  • AliAli
    edited February 2013 Posts: 319
    Germanlady wrote:
    But if you watch Tattoo and see Bond - then its certainly not the actors fault, as there is no Bond in his Blomkvist.

No, but there is Craig in both of them. He's a good actor, but not a great one, so he carries a part of himself into every role, much like Brosnan, Harrison Ford, McQueen, Newman etc. But you're getting off the point entirely. I simply prefer the Blomqvist of Michael Nyqvist. You do seem unable to appreciate that I just don't like Craig in this role. I've seen numerous threads where the same problem has occurred with other members and you not allowing them to have their own opinions should it be against Daniel Craig. It's a bit obsessive, to be frank. This is supposed to be a discussion forum, not an "everyone has to like Daniel and I'll make them like him no matter what" forum, surely?
    Reread your own post and you see, that you were going on about Blomkvist being a Bond clone (along that line) and THAT was what I was answering to, NOT your preference of Nyquist.
    Its funny, how its not allowed to have another view, which is what YOU accuse ME of doing.

Also I have to say, its AMAZING, how its seen as cool and hip (well by some at least) to critisize, but as obsessed and dump to defend. Not my problem thankfully...as I don't share this view - obviously.
  • RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

True. The only thing I don't see Craig as Bond in is Our Friends In The North.

Oldman is a very good example, he's a brilliant actor. You never think of him as Dracula or the police cheif from Batman when you're watching Tinkor Tailor.

Christopher Eccleston is another good example, when you see him as the nutcase in Shallow Grave or as an ordinary guy in the film about Hillsborough, you don't think "look it's Doctor Who"

A case could also be made for Tom Hardy I think but I haven't seen him in much.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Is this still the production time line discussion?
    zebrafish wrote:
    Is this still the production time line discussion?

Nope, it went off just a tiny bit :D
    And to avoid that, I reopened the question in the DC thread, as I thought, it was or MIGHT be interesing, just nobody bothered to go there for continuation.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    What you say basically is - that unless you are - in your mind - as great as Oldman as an actor, you better not bother to play more then one role.

I'm sure you'd like me to be saying that, but I'm not, because that would be plain stupid. @thelivingroyale sums up my point above. If Craig's versatility was at the level of Oldman, posters such as @Ali might have an easier time disconnecting him from Bond.

Anyway this should return to the production timeline. There is another thread for Craig fellation.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Even more news work begins next year. Hopefully in time for a November release.

I love Gassner's work. Thanks for sharing @Pierce2Daniel.
    Very good news indeed, thanks for the link @Pierce2Daniel.
    Indeed, he's been asked by producers Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli to return a third time next year to begin work on "Bond 24," with or without Mendes.

THAT sounds good.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Indeed, he's been asked by producers Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli to return a third time next year to begin work on "Bond 24," with or without Mendes.

THAT sounds good.

Yes, I noticed that too. It means they want to keep the schedule.
    Gassner is the best PD since Ken Adam. Nothing personal against Lamont but his sets were always "alright" in my opinion with some exceptions. But Gassner's work in both of his films has been fantastic