Worst Bond song

Comments

• OligarchOligarch Banned
    oh my, in my opinion the worst song is definitely is Nobody Does it Better. It is just too slowly paced for me.

I will say though my top favorite 6 include

You Only Live Twice
    The Living Daylights
    Goldeneye
    Die Another Day
    License To Kill
    The World Is Not Enough
  • Finally, someone who can see Carly Simon's awful song for what it is. I just turn off audio or fast forward through the title credits any time I watch The Spy Who Loved Me. Ok, some may see it as a great Bond theme, but I've never been one for it

Did I mention Goldfinger, could well be the worst of the Bassey attempts. I know I should hate the Lulu one, but I'll be honest, I find it energetic and vibrant, but there's something, somewhere, that tells me, I really should be hating this song

Sheena Easton's For Your Eyes Only, is another one I have little time for, just never learned to like it, and Gladys Knight's License to Kill does seem to outstay it's welcome the more times you hear it. The same can be said for Turner and her Goldeneye effort
  • OligarchOligarch Banned
    ohh yes FYEO's title song is one I do not care for at all, way too slow paced and it feels like a grade B soap opera theme song at best.
    I'll add a few thoughts to this discussion:

I have extremely mixed feelings about Lulu's 'The Man With the Golden Gun', myself. I find it a bit goofy for a Bond title song, though I guess that it actually fits with the film in that respect. I will admit that it is very lively and catchy, and some of the lyrics are amusing:

Will he bang?
    We shall see!

A pattern I've noticed over the years about TMWTGG (the film and the song) is that it seems to have really massive nostalgia appeal for people of a certain age, more so than any other Bond film or song of the 1970s. Thus, I really can't fault it too much, since my own Bond-related opinions are often heavily influenced by nostalgia.

For example, I disagree with the criticisms of Sheena Easton's 'For Your Eyes Only', but I realize that my fondness for it stems in large part from the fact that FYEO was my first Bond film. Also, the song was quite a hit at the time and thus is one of many early-80s pop tunes that take me back to the passenger seat of my mother's '76 Toyota Celica.

On the other hand, 'All Time High' by Rita Coolidge has very little value for me, nostalgic or otherwise. As a kid I found it to be a fairly boring song, and my opinion hasn't changed over the years.

'License to Kill' by Gladys Knight is another relatively dull entry. Nothing particularly terrible about it, just uninspired.

As for 'If You Asked Me To' by Patti LaBelle, I liked it when I first saw LTK and for some time after that. It got too much radio airplay, however, and quickly became played out. Then Celine Dion covered it and it got even more played out. It's not that I dislike the song; I just heard it too many times back in the '90s.

I would definitely rank 'Tomorrow Never Dies' by Sheryl Crow near the bottom of my list. This one and 'The World Is Not Enough' by Garbage were nothing more than slavish efforts to recreate the mythical "Bond Sound", the result being a couple of generic, forgettable entries. TWINE, however, at least benefits from an appropriately powerful vocal performance. TND is further hampered by the strained vocals of Ms. Crow, who should have stuck to light acoustic ballads. I definitely belong to the camp that feels that 'Surrender' should have been the title song.

And then there's 'Die Another Day'. For years, I and many other Bond fans believed that Madonna would be a perfect Bond title artist. Unfortunately, when it finally happened, she had gone into her Techno Phase, and the result was a very poor title song. I admit, however, that at the time I gave her points for trying something different after the generic "Bond Sound" of TND and TWINE. Ideally, Madonna would have done the title song for Dalton III or IV about a decade earlier. It would have turned out much better for everyone concerned.
    Madonne in her Ray of Light phase might have been okay.
    Getafix wrote:
    Madonne in her Ray of Light phase might have been okay.

Actually, I keep thinking of Madonna's turn as a 1930s nightclub singer in Dick Tracy (1990). Now there's a vocalist who could have belted out a killer Bond song.
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    no.1 Worst bond song of all time

:P
    Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies...I fell asleep listening to it, it was that bland.
    Sheryl Crow's intro is one of the best, can't have a bad word said against it, although the subsequent movie itself may cause the viewer to snooze off at some point or another..

Worst Bond songs as an update -

#1 Keys and White / QOS

#2 Madonna / DAD

#3 Carly Simon / TSWLM

#4 Shirley Bassey / GF

#5 Sheena Easton / FYEO
    Gee, I have to tell you...as a performer of these themes...I wouldn't touch DAD or QoS theme with a 10-foot pole. How did those people pick up a check for such awful music? Jeeze Louise!!!!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Madonna's Die Another Day, I would guess. As jarring as her cameo in the film! That just added insult to injury!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Madonna's Die Another Day, I would guess. As jarring as her cameo in the film! That just added insult to injury!
    DAD is INFINITELY better than Another Way To [Puke]. :))

Did I mention Goldfinger, could well be the worst of the Bassey attempts.
    Agreed. The interesting factoid about this song is not once is Mr. Goldfinger's Christian name pronounced within the lyrics. This is actually a travesty.
    Richardo wrote:
    Agreed. The interesting factoid about this song is not once is Mr. Goldfinger's Christian name pronounced within the lyrics. This is actually a travesty.
    You may fool others, Richardo, but not me. You are up to no good here.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

I'm glad it's not just me who noticed then.
    Do you sirs disagree with my thesis?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

Thank God for some sanity. I've just come from another thread where people are engaging in debate with this interloper. Good to see you two at least are on the ball.
    Why have I earned your wrath, @MrWizardOfIce?
    Richardo wrote:

Posting incoherent drivel and borderline racism for a start.

As Chrisisall says 'you don't fool me'.
    For me, its a toss up between Madonna's 'Die Another Day', or 'Another Way to Die'...and just to add, i think that Patti Labelle's 'If you asked me to' is VERY underrated..
    Zorin61 wrote:
    For me, its a toss up between Madonna's 'Die Another Day', or 'Another Way to Die'...
    Really? At least DAD, like Marty said, had a beat and you could dance to it, AWTD was junk IMO.
    Zorin61 wrote:
    just to add, i think that Patti Labelle's 'If you asked me to' is VERY underrated..
    Oh yes, that was a nice piece indeed.
    Sheryl Crow's intro is one of the best, can't have a bad word said against it, although the subsequent movie itself may cause the viewer to snooze off at some point or another..

Worst Bond songs as an update -

#1 Keys and White / QOS

#2 Madonna / DAD

#3 Carly Simon / TSWLM

#4 Shirley Bassey / GF

#5 Sheena Easton / FYEO

I agree on QOS, DAD and FYEO and I can let you have TSWLM as just a case of personal taste but GF?

If you are saying you don't like Bassey's vocals then fair enough but the slamming of the door into the first note of the song is utter perfection and the first 10 seconds define the sound of Bond.
    If you are saying you don't like Bassey's vocals then fair enough but the slamming of the door into the first note of the song is utter perfection and the first 10 seconds define the sound of Bond.
    GF's title song was perfection IMO.
    Richardo wrote:

Posting incoherent drivel and borderline racism for a start.

As Chrisisall says 'you don't fool me'.
    Mi6Community contains a kaleidoscope of opinions; if mine are not welcome, be man enough to say it! I have fully explained my comments in the relevant discussions where I have been asked to do so.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

Thank God for some sanity. I've just come from another thread where people are engaging in debate with this interloper. Good to see you two at least are on the ball.

We seem to be the Spambusters here on MI6 Community!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

Not sure about that. Replying to a spammer makes a poster a spammer themselves.
    Constantly replying to every post is spam.

Try not to forget that. ;)
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,728
    Benny wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

Not sure about that. Replying to a spammer makes a poster a spammer themselves.
    Constantly replying to every post is spam.

Try not to forget that. ;)

Not really, if it is well-intentioned. I will endeavour to calm down on the posting, then. It's just there was so much for me to reply to there, but I'm quite finished now. Sorry.
    There have been a few baddies, but AWTD wins this dismal competition by a couple of parsecs. And I pray Eon never inflict its equal on the human race ever again.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 98
    You only live twice
    Film version of TWINE

and Bassey was all wrong for Moonraker. YOU LOOOOOOOOOOOVE ME, shut up please ?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think pages ago I stated but I cannot remember.
    Truly DAD and AWTD are nearly tied for very worst.
    I'm going with DAD this moment.