What if Eon Productions did an extensive opinion poll to cast the next James Bond actor

edited February 2013 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 1,661
Let's say when Craig retires from the role, perhaps after Bond 25, Eon Productions conduct a widespread poll to pick the next James Bond actor. It could be done in association with some major advertising/marketing company as well as using online sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube.

Basically you'd have a list of ten actors. Those ten actors have been screentested for the part but the final decision is down to the public. Each actor would have a few video clips showing their acting ability, how they look. There would be a photo gallery too with each actor dressed in a tuxedo so you would get a strong idea how they would look as James Bond.

People would be asked to vote for their top two choices. The actor with the most votes gets the role.

I know it sounds a bit different to the usual way an actor is cast but, you never know, it might work and it would be a democratic way of finding the next James Bond actor.

Bond actor 7 - chosen by the British public. Perhaps the vote could be worldwide, open to everyone with internet access. ;) There would have to be a few safeguards added to stop people trolling the poll or trying to get the least favourite choice cast.

Comments

bad idea. you'd end up with another brosnan. Craig was good and inspired casting from Babs. Hopefully she'll be as imaginative next time round as well.
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    Funny you mentioned Brosnan because they once reffered to him as the second coming of Sean Connery.
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    I'd love another Brosnan!

As for modern actors who would suit the role... I honestly don't know. It's a very hard role to cast I think and I agree they chose well with Craig. And Brosnan. And Connery :)
  • AliAli
    edited February 2013 Posts: 319
    Ah, more Brosnan bashing. Just because he replaced St. Timothy of Dalton doesn't mean he has to be bashed on every thread. In fact, I have to say, I thought Dalton was remarkably lame. All personal opinions at the end of the day.

Regarding the topic, there's no way Craig would have been cast in the role and that would have been a bad thing indeed. Worse than Pierce, we'd have something horrendous like Hugh Jackman or Brad Pitt, a very bad accent, terrible Bourne-Lite scripts and the death of the franchise.
    People didnt like Craig because he didnt have black hair.......Um Roger Moore didnt have black hair either and no one complained about him being Bond lol
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,661
    I think Brad Pitt is on the Bond actor 7 poll list and so is Jeremy Clarkson.

:D

And I think Nick Clegg will be on it too - once he loses his seat at the next General Election!
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290
    Ali wrote:
    Ah, more Brosnan bashing. Just because he replaced St. Timothy of Dalton doesn't mean he has to be bashed on every thread. In fact, I have to say, I thought Dalton was remarkably lame. All personal opinions at the end of the day.

I actually think Brosnan was pretty much flawless and it was the writing that let him down.

Why couldn't it all have been as good (or better) than GoldenEye?
    Er... no offence meant but this thread was about future Bond actors, not past ones! And about a public poll to find him. This thread appears to have been hijacked. 8-|
  • OligarchOligarch Banned
    Getafix wrote:
    bad idea. you'd end up with another brosnan. Craig was good and inspired casting from Babs. Hopefully she'll be as imaginative next time round as well.

Couldn't say it better myself, agreed!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Bad idea, knowing the public we'd get one of the Essex idiots or Justin Bieber or something.
    fanbond123 wrote:
    Er... no offence meant but this thread was about future Bond actors, not past ones! And about a public poll to find him. This thread appears to have been hijacked. 8-|

That's the way it seems to go around here sadly. Doesn't matter what the thread is, somebody wll find a way to bring up Brosnan and citicise him.
    Ghastly idea.

Twiharders would flood the poll and we'd get robert pattinson.
    I recall the Daily Express did something similar before Dr No was cast and top of the poll was Sean Connery.
  • OligarchOligarch Banned
    Very bad idea, I do not trust the public. especially a youthful America that spends its time watching garbage like Jersey Shore, Kim Kardashian and so much other thrash. Leave it up to EON, plus it's a tradition and I like the mysteriousness of not knowing til EON actually makes its pick.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Oligarch wrote:
    Very bad idea, I do not trust the public. especially a youthful America that spends its time watching garbage like Jersey Shore, Kim Kardashian and so much other thrash. Leave it up to EON, plus it's a tradition and I like the mysteriousness of not knowing til EON actually makes its pick.

I know people have said Oligarch might be a troll but this is absolutely spot on.

Anything where the general public get a say is an awful idea (and that includes general elections).

An actor needs to be chosen on screen tests, attitude and acting chops not having a mugshot printed in the Sun and letting the cretins call a premium rate phoneline to vote.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bad idea for sure. The thing is, you choose someone the public doesn't think of right away and give them another Craig, i.e. another unconventional Bond and unexpected winner. Let them decide, and we might as well get some sterile catwalk model, a young George Clooney but with sub-par acting skills, a hint of Justin Bieber and nothing but stunt doubles even for the love scenes. ;-) Nah, surprise us!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    People can barely choose the right people to elect in office. Think how bad their Bond choices would be?!

"Oh, I like that one because he has cool hair."

"That one can apparently say the alphabet BACKWARDS. Yeah, you heard me right: BACKWARDS. If that isn't worth of my vote, I don't know what is."

"Wait...you mean to tell me that THIS guy has the most followers on Facebook? Alright, vote casted!"

"Listen, I thought my wife was joking when she said this guy could balance 15 champagne glasses on top of each other, but he really can! Quick, get me to the polls! I can't vote for this bloke fast enough!!!"
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The biggest issue I see with this is, you give the public a choice of three or four names and what happens when 'their' choice isn't chosen for the role? Will they still see the film?

Better to just say "here's the new actor who's playing Bond" and let the public decide as one. There will always be people who don't approve and that will never change.
    Bad idea, the general audience need some protection from their own sometimes awefull taste......And fanboys/girls are even worse.
  • AliAli
    fanbond123 wrote:

Hmm, Clarkson could work......

• Agreed with everyone that you can't use a poll to make a decision of this nature. Besides, considering Craig was the first Bond chosen by someone not named Cubby or Harry, Barb and Mike don't need to go this route when they are obviously quite capable of making these decisions.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ali wrote:
    fanbond123 wrote:

Hmm, Clarkson could work......

He could at least do all his own driving stunts in the Aston! ;)
    Getafix wrote:

You are spot on and speaks for most of us.
    Getafix wrote:
    bad idea. you'd end up with another brosnan.

Actually, I get the sense that we might end up with Brosnan himself again.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,416
    Ladies and gentle man the 007th actor playing James Bond be....

A. Daniel Radcliffe
    B. Sam Worthington
    C. Clive Owen
    D. Ryan Gosling

Of course Sam Worthington will win, because Pierce Brosnan, George Lazenby, James Cameron and Fox wil suport him. Imagine how much free promotion the movie wil get with another Australian wil play Bond.

What if Eon Productions did an extensive opinion poll to cast the next James Bond directer, that will be a nightmare. If not Christopher Nolan, David Fincher or much worse we get QT.

With CR this already happend already by fans and media who liked GE and the wish people whant to see Campbell back we get him back for CR. Also it be the media in specialy who's fault it be Pierce Brosnan a go a way. I already see the same happend now with people whant Sam Mendes back.
    The only viable option there, @M_Balje, is Sam Worthington. At best, he'd be another Brosnan. Not saying that I'd hate the choice, but there are better actors out there for Bond.
  • 00Ed wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    bad idea. you'd end up with another brosnan.

Actually, I get the sense that we might end up with Brosnan himself again.

No. Please, no.

We should do our own MI6 Community opinion poll based on this thread. Have nominations for a week or so and boil it down to a shortlist of ten and vote on it. See what the board ends up with.
    You could avoid casting a really awful choice because the list of names would be drawn up by Eon, it's not a random list chosen by the public. All the names would be reasonably credible choices for the role. Obviously it's all subjective so no list can deliver names that everyone is going to like - as illustrated by this very site where people still argue over the casting of Brosnan and Craig blah blah blah - but if the names on the list were reasonably okay I don't think the public would choose a terrible candidate.

I think it could work. Sure, it could be a total disaster too :D but I think that would be very unlikely because the list would feature 'credible' type names. The publicity from this public online vote would be incredible. The new Bond film with the new actor would open to crazy big box office, I reckon, helped by the public vote.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    We would get Clive Owen or Hugh Jackman.

The public is not exactly cutting-edge when it comes to picking actors.
    They did this with Watchmen and the public chose Jackie Earl Haley for Rorschach, and he turned out good in the role, so it may not allways be bad.