A thread for people who dislike Skyfall

hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
edited February 2013 in Skyfall Posts: 290
Is this alright and within the rules?

Would just be good to have a place for us to chat without too many arguments!

If not then erm, that's cool :)

Mike :)

Comments

• OligarchOligarch Banned
    HopiMike is right, skyfall was full of cheap
    gimmicks and was a typical cliched action
    movie with no substance at all.
    I don't want to flame on anybody who
    enjoyed the movie, by all means you have
    every god given right to enjoy it.

But it amazes me how nobody on here hardly
    mentions the drastic change of Daniel
    Craig's portrayal of Bond from QoS to SF.
    What happened to the serious, hardened
    Bond from CR and QoS. The half-monk half-
    hitman that strangled a man in a bathroom
    stall with blood everywhere on his hands?
    In skyfall we have a joke-quiping Bond every
    10 minutes. A Bond who fixes his cuff-links
    while in the midst of running after a hitman?
    I mean seriously who thought of that scene?
    like seriously how campy can it get? The
    movie just completely fell apart once Silva
    was introduced.

Silva may have been one of the biggest
    letdowns of the whole movie. I was
    expecting Jarvier Bardem to play a gritty
    villain that was physical, strong and equal to
    Bond. but in a negative manner. Instead
    what we got was a flamboyant bi-sexual
    sissy that wore Retro 1970 suits with a
    blonde wig on. What a joke! I'm sorry but this
    is the year 2013, not 1967. I want a realistic
    villain, like Le Chiffre. Not a cliched
    throwback attempt trying to mimic past bond
    villains.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited February 2013 Posts: 7,854
    Actually, I think there's one of these already.

Okay, I guess never mind. There was a thread for this, and it was closed. This may not last long, @hoppimike.
    Oligarch wrote:

was introduced.

villains.

I think you just put the final nail in your coffin to prove that you really are @Data_Thief, @DRESSED_TO_KILL and all those other accounts.
  • This has been tried before by @Oligarch and it got closed.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 110
    @Agent007391

So anybody who dislikes Skyfall is accused of being this past member you constantly speak of? yep..im sure the mods are going to buy that one. I'm a strong independent woman and I'll be damned if I am denied my right to be a member of a community to a franchise I love and care for. Now please lets get back to the topic at hand.
    There have been many many attempts at a thread like this, and all have been closed.

I move to close this one too.
    My evidence?
    This was closed due to arguments:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4487/killjoy-anyone-else-disappointed-with-skyfall#Item_30

and

This was closed due to arguments and because many threads already existed:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4482/skyfail-spoilers#Item_8

You can post it here and just deal with everyone else, like the rest of us do:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3487/skyfall-fans-reactions-guaranteed-spoilers/p65#Item_1924

And you can suggest how it could have been improved here:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5615/suggestion-how-skyfall-could-have-been-improved-keep-severine-alive-spoiler-detail#Item_27

You can bring up why you don't want to see it again and why here:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4931/skyfall-worth-multiple-viewings-or-not#Item_9

You can discuss what you didn't like about the screenplay here:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4160/skyfall-best-of-the-original-screenplay-bond-films-a-comparison/p2#Item_41

And all this was found by clicking on the 'Skyfall' Discussion topic displayed to the right of every single webpage on these discussion boards.

If it was closed down due to arguments, then I'm assuming the pro-skyfall viewers are the ones that rudely intruded into the thread causing the arguments? Such a shame .

• hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    I guess arguments are a shame. They are of course only caused by people who are not within the category suggested by the thread deciding to post anyway. Does that make sense?

If only people who dislike the film post, then we can have a constructive, calm conversation about why we didn't like it and where we think the series should go from here, amongst other related topics :)
    Oligarch wrote:
    If it was closed down due to arguments, then I'm assuming the pro-skyfall viewers are the ones that rudely intruded into the thread causing the arguments? Such a shame .

An argument has two sides. There shouldn't be a thread focused on only one of those sides if it can't be checked and challenged by the other side. Then what is the point? If you all want to get together and slam the film in person, go ahead, but this is a public forum for all walks of life to pitch their opinions, and there is no, and shouldn't be, any way to prevent someone from posting in a certain thread.

Have a problem? There's the door.

:-w
    Oligarch wrote:
    @Agent007391

So anybody who dislikes Skyfall is accused of being this past member you constantly speak of? yep..im sure the mods are going to buy that one. I'm a strong independent woman and I'll be damned if I am denied my right to be a member of a community to a franchise I love and care for. Now please lets get back to the topic at hand.

And I am Arnold Palmer...

There are many threads open on the subject, there's no need to shout for attention, again.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Oligarch wrote:

An argument has two sides. There shouldn't be a thread focused on only one of those sides if it can't be checked and challenged by the other side. Then what is the point? If you all want to get together and slam the film in person, go ahead, but this is a public forum for all walks of life to pitch their opinions, and there is no, and shouldn't be, any way to prevent someone from posting in a certain thread.

We're only ASKING those who don't fit within the thread's title not to post, or at the very least not to be confrontational.

I can see why this might not work though.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Oligarch wrote:

Umm, so can you please explain why there are "Appreciation" threads then?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 5,745
    hoppimike wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Oligarch wrote:

We're only ASKING those who don't fit within the thread's title not to post, or at the very least not to be confrontational.

I can see why this might not work though.

An argument can be part of a discussion. Just ignore the ones who are overly confrontational. People feel they have the right to state their opinions as fact, and they can if they want... but you don't have to argue with them. That's your decision, if you make that decision, don't come make a thread to whine about it.
    Oligarch wrote:
    Umm, so can you please explain why there are "Appreciation" threads then?

That's a question for a mod. I never said I agree with 'appreciation threads' nor have I ever created one. Your point? And can you explain why you keep posting in the 'Fan Reactions' thread for Skyfall when you have this one to complain in?
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290
    Oligarch wrote:

was introduced.

villains.

And once again, I 100% agree!! Beautifully said!

I of course have nothing AT ALL against people who act camp, flamboyant or gay (so would veer away from the word sissy lol) but it was the way it was so obviously just trying to mimic the old villains that bothered me.

Villains like Le Chiffre and Greene are infinitely more subtle and intelligent, IMO.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @JWestbrook, you have put it succinctly and listed many threads, with good reasoning. This thread just isn't going to go anywhere other than arguments - like the others that were closed.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    And can you explain why you keep posting in the 'Fan Reactions' thread for Skyfall when you have this one to complain in?

I don't intend this thread to be for moaning (although I must admit it's enjoyable to get stuck into expressing any shared opinion with others, even a negative opinion). I intend it to be for constructive exploration of where the series should go from here based on the weaknesses (and strengths, as I'm sure almost anyone would concede it has at least some) of Skyfall.
    As for my opinions on the films STRENGTHS erm...

- The new Q was cool and a nice touch.

- The bit with the subway train (smashing through the tunnel) was at the very least interesting.

- The entire opening action sequence was awesome.

- The part where Silva removed his jaw was cool on some levels.

- Occasional fragments of action I enjoyed, such as when Bond killed all of Silva's guards in quick succession.
    The arguments are being caused by people who like skyfall, so just stay out of the thread, its that simple.

And westbrook this thread was made after I already posted in the fan review skyfall thread, so I had nowhere els to complain before the creation of this thread. Duh ...
    hoppimike wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    And can you explain why you keep posting in the 'Fan Reactions' thread for Skyfall when you have this one to complain in?

I don't intend this thread to be for moaning (although I must admit it's enjoyable to get stuck into expressing any shared opinion with others, even a negative opinion). I intend it to be for constructive exploration of where the series should go from here based on the weaknesses (and strengths, as I'm sure almost anyone would concede it has at least some) of Skyfall.

How is it constructive if it is only one sided? Just because others may have loved the film, doesn't mean they don't find flaws in it. Again, not necessary to have it's own thread.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2013 Posts: 16,328
    There's nothing wrong with disliking Skyfall. It's just when the haters of it start calling the people who did like it "Slaves to the Mainstream media/Politically Correct morons" then it crosses a line.

Murdock wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with disliking Skyfall. It's just when the haters of it start calling the people who did like it "Slaves to the Mainstream media/Politically Correct morons" then it crosses a line.

lol fair play. I don't think I've ever insulted fans of the film in any general sense though. Perhaps just saying it was designed to appeal to the masses, etc.
    Oligarch wrote:
    And Westbrook this thread was made after I already posted in the fan review skyfall thread, so I had nowhere els to complain before the creation of this thread. Duh ...

Really? This thread was created at 3:39PM my time, and you posted in the 'Fan Reactions' thread at 4:01PM my time. Duh ...

really_zps3ac220dd.png
    I almost walked out of the theater once I saw Bond jump into the Aston Martin DB5 using its machine guns to kill half-brain zombie like henchmen outside of his childhood home. I mean come on, how cheesy and childlike was that scene? It amazes me that only 2 Bond films ago we had a newly rebooted franchise that showed us a Bond who was ruthless and a gritty killer, now just 2 films later we are given a joke wielding bond flirting with villains while using his machine gun plated Aston Martin to kill brainless henchmen lurking around his childhood estate trying to kill a old woman. my god skyfall was such a major letdown.
    Oligarch wrote:
    I almost walked out of the theater once I saw Bond jump into the Aston Martin DB5 using its machine guns to kill half-brain zombie like henchmen outside of his childhood home. I mean come on, how cheesy and childlike was that scene? It amazes me that only 2 Bond films ago we had a newly rebooted franchise that showed us a Bond who was ruthless and a gritty killer, now just 2 films later we are given a joke wielding bond flirting with villains while using his machine gun plated Aston Martin to kill brainless henchmen lurking around his childhood estate trying to kill a old woman. my god skyfall was such a major letdown.

Totally.

To be honest, when I first saw the Aston Martin I got this feeling of excitement like "Wow awesome!" and then I reminded myself what it was. A cheap and easy hark back to the older films designed to impress people who are easily impressed (again, not insulting ALL the fans of the film, just the TARGET audience).

The bit with the guns was dumb yeah. It's like watching Austin Powers (except not funny...).

I stuck with the film to the end, but didn't feel like I gained much (or anything) by doing so.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Oligarch wrote:
    And Westbrook this thread was made after I already posted in the fan review skyfall thread, so I had nowhere els to complain before the creation of this thread. Duh ...

Really? This thread was created at 3:39PM my time, and you posted in the 'Fan Reactions' thread at 4:01PM my time. Duh ...

really_zps3ac220dd.png

That's really more aimed at the film than the fans, but point taken.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I got this feeling of excitement like "Wow awesome!" and then I reminded myself what it was. A cheap and easy hark back to the older films designed to impress people who are easily impressed (again, not insulting ALL the fans of the film, just the TARGET audience).

Careful, you are almost making yourself sound intelligent there

@Getafix covered this ground long ago.

I thought that machine gunning of the baddies was a great moment - from a geek point of view.
    so thats what you call "complaining" ?

"The "I don't give a damn line" showed the
    more serious side to Bond, and that
    something like a alcoholic beverage to his
    preference was very trivial and irrelevant to
    him at the time. I hardly call it a gag. It was
    realistic and showed the tension that goes
    along with be a government licensed hitman
    (007) ."

does anybody els see that as complaining?
    Oligarch wrote:

(007) ."

hehe, I get the feeling that an "anti-Skyfall" thread will quickly turn into a "pro- every other Bond film" thread lol :)

Casino Royale is so damn good!
    Oligarch wrote:

(007) ."

That wasn't my point. My point was that you tried to argue you stopped commenting in that thread, which this thread should have motivated you to do, and you didn't. Proably half a dozen posts up from that you were off topic.

No, what my cited post of yours showed was how off topic you were from Skyfall.

Just stop trying to one up me, sir.
    I'm not a sir, I'm a miss... got it sweetie?
    Hm, I have an interesting question for constructive conversation among those who dislike Skyfall:

Which of the background writers and creators of Skyfall were different, and does this explain the huge change in tone?

I am trying to work out why the change in tone was as dramatic as it was. Was it Sam Mendes' direction? The loss of Paul Haggis as a writer?

Personally I think Martin Campbell must be an epic director as he directed both GoldenEye and Casino Royale :o
    Oligarch wrote:
    I'm not a sir, I'm a miss... got it sweetie?

Oh, your image isn't very clear on that. Woops. Could you upload a new one?
This discussion has been closed.