SPECTRE: Bringing skiing to new levels in Austria (Julian Carr & Halvor Angvik?)

edited December 2014 in SPECTRE Posts: 11,119
There's nothing nicer to put yourself in the shoes of the production crew of Bond 24 no ;-)? I always try to do this as realistically as possible. I know, I know....the whole story for the 24th Bond film must have been set out already. Screenplay writer John Logan must have come up with an ingenious plot by now.

In the meanwhile, being a severe wintersports fan myself (I love speedskating and skiing was absolutely wunderful last year with my friends), I think it's time Bond 24 will set a standard again in skiing. Yes, I know, Willy Bogner already did that marvellously in OHMSS, TSWLM and FYEO. But really, skiing has truly evolved since then. 'Alta skiing' is a true daredevil type of skiing that makes Willy Bogner's work look like old man's stuff (With all do respect for Mr. Bogner. He did wunderful stuff for the Bond films). Nowadays, 'alta skiing' can be filmed perfectly with GoPro HD Equipment camera's (Barbara? Michael? Perhaps an idea?).

Have a look at these examples from alta skiing, made with GoPro HD Equipment. Skiing is done by alta skiing veteran Julian Carr:
<youtube>
<youtube>
<youtube>
<youtube>

Having seen the above examples, I think one can create one hell of a ski chase in which Bond is followed by a couple of Blofeld's henchmen. Or, the other way around, Bond is actually chasing a henchman on ski's, but he dies during alta skiing....

What do you think guys? Time for a true winter sports Bond film again?

Comments

I say have him drive a car down a ski slope:
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,416
    That stunt with the car be a nice thing, if there can make something like that with the car falling from a cliff with a parachute so it can drive a way and the driver is a woman. Something to consider for Bond 25 or later.

The last time we see ice skiing be in Twine, i like to see Bond go to skiing again but mabey not see it happend earlier then locations like Switzerland, Austria, Denmark for example are used. But by far it be more original if there skiing in Egypt, Dubai, Greece, Turkey or mabey Tibet. Egypt be one of the locations i like to see Bond 25 together with England, Switzerland, Austria & Denmark.

http://www.travelet.com/2010/01/ten-most-beautiful-skiing-locations-in-europe/
    About Skiing in Greece:

Pelion Mountain, Greece

While talking about beautiful locations for skiing, Pelion Mountain is easily one of the noteworthy locations. The best part about the ski resorts here is that not many people know about it and skiing here is still not explored completely. Greece has been gaining popularity for skiing among other winter sports. Pelion Mountains offer majestic scenes and is one of the most preferred destinations for those who have discovered the ski terrains here.

more about Skiing in Egypt and Dubai http://www.skiegypt.com/

Jabal-Katherina.jpg?1327243733
    Jabal-Katherina.jpg?1260440757
    Jabal-Katherina.jpg?1260440754
    St Chatherine Sinai Egypt. Picture's are from 2012 http://www.snow-forecast.com/countries/Egypt/resorts

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I would absolutely love to have Bond skiing again in the near future. A nice chasing scene, or even Bond on holiday between missions, but nothing too unrealistic.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If it can look good and add to the plot, yes please. Otherwise it will just be pointless like last time. It must add something new, let's not do it because we want snow in a Bond film again.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    If it can look good and add to the plot, yes please. Otherwise it will just be pointless like last time. It must add something new, let's not do it because we want snow in a Bond film again.

I do agree. The entire film should breathe 'winter' more or less.....Not just a cut-and-paste ski chase. That's boring.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,425
    God I'd love to see a classic Bond ski movie again. The bit in TWINE was awful. There are so many amazing skiers out there - it would be incredible to have an insane chase down near verticle slopes or even something more sedate and traditional. And we could have real stunts for once rather than lazy CGI.
    But which Beach Boys track should they play this time?

Seriously, though, I too would like to see some winter sports action at some point in the Craig Era.
    Skiing in India - in Kasmir. Along the line of control.
  • 00Ed wrote:

Seriously, though, I too would like to see some winter sports action at some point in the Craig Era.

I think Craig's 4th Bond film should be the one. And I know, first of all the story and plot should be in place. But I truly believe Bond 24 could set new unseen standards in action thrillers, by doing something with winter sports. Not a rehash of OHMSS, but indeed by doing the ski-stuff that Julian Carr's doing.
    Would like to see a good ski chase in a Bond film again! That's if the script demands it?
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    Would like to see a good ski chase in a Bond film again! That's if the script demands it?

Off course! It should always be incorporated into the screenplay if the actual storyline demands it. Having said so, the ski-chase in the novel 'OHMSS' is almost exactly the same as the ski-chase in the film 'OHMSS'.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 65
    Looking forward to the next ski or winter chase, but I am partially convinced DC hates cold weather as evidenced in his movies. When it's chilly for him, it looks like he's turning blue. However, I am not suggesting he will refuse.

Resuscitating Vesper (but part of that might be shock and anger)
    Hailing cab after killing Dmitrios
    Walking through airport after fire alarm activated
    Morning after drinking when CNN reports attack on MI6 (might be hangover)
    Escape with Camille after boat chase

Then again, he seemed fine in Scotland, final scene with M in QoS and in cave with hidden reservoir with Camille.

• mrnate8 wrote:
    Looking forward to the next ski or winter chase, but I am partially convinced DC hates cold weather as evidenced in his movies.

Well, poor Danny :-P. I think he can suffer a bit more weather-wise. And you can truly enjoy sun on high altitudes in winter. I think Daniel would love doing a 'Winter Bond-film' after seeing this:

tumblr_lcexpdkhM51qbcsb2.jpg
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2013 Posts: 9,117

00:47 to 1:07 is a simply staggering sequence. It would be epic to see these guys in a Bond film.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119

00:47 to 1:07 is a simply staggering sequence. It would be epic to see these guys in a Bond film.

This is......is....stunning @TheWizardOfIce ! I mean, this actually LOOKS like James Bond footage! By jolly, you could set new standards in Bond 24 with this kind of parachute/ski chase. And then the real-life camera in it. Imagine you see this on IMAX with Thomas Newman's rendition of the James Bond theme!

I just hopeeee Barbara Brocolli and Michael G. Wilson see this. This is stunning footage!
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    its time for anorher good winter sequence like the old times and this new approach has good potential

i would also like as well something interesting with the location, how some of you guys have suggested central asia/middle east as a setting....i for one didn't even know there was snow there until i saw The Kite Runner some years ago!

For example in what would have been the third Dalton film, there is a ski sequence in Japan. That was quite original, since usually people tend to not think of Tokyo/Japan as a ski resort, but as the usual busy, futuristic city. I thought that was a clever touch. Hope they recicle that idea sometime.

This is......is....stunning @TheWizardOfIce ! I mean, this actually LOOKS like James Bond footage! By jolly, you could set new standards in Bond 24 with this kind of parachute/ski chase. And then the real-life camera in it. Imagine you see this on IMAX with Thomas Newman's rendition of the James Bond theme!

I just hopeeee Barbara Brocolli and Michael G. Wilson see this. This is stunning footage!

That video is crazy! But if it appeared in a Bond film, everybody would be saying how Bond is now full of CGI/impossible sequences, which sums up just how incredible that video is!
    TPM007 wrote:

That video is crazy! But if it appeared in a Bond film, everybody would be saying how Bond is now full of CGI/impossible sequences, which sums up just how incredible that video is!

True. That looks so incredible I honestly doubt EON could get insurance for a stuntman do that.
  • TPM007 wrote:

True. That looks so incredible I honestly doubt EON could get insurance for a stuntman do that.

With the success of 'Skyfall'? You kiddin' me no :-)? I know 'Cubby' was like a father to all crew members. But the fact is.....sports have become more dangerous as well. You can always create a clausule in a contract for such stuntmen.....that says they will get a lot of money, just not a lot of insurance, because they already have done this dangerous work privately for a long time.
  • 00Ed wrote:

Little Saint Nick, of course ;)

00Ed wrote:

Little Saint Nick, of course ;)

Nahh, I prefer a beautiful romantic soundtrack from Thomas Newman when, slowly turning into memorable ski chase music.
    It'd be great to have another ski chase, but I'd like a stunt involving a wingsuit more than anything.
    from Thomas Newman

You spelt David Arnold's name wrong ;)
    edited March 2013 Posts: 9,117
    It'd be great to have another ski chase, but I'd like a stunt involving a wingsuit more than anything.

What about that guy who actually landed without opening his parachute using a wingsuit?

Maybe Bond inlfitrating under the radar and perhaps landing it on a moving train?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

What about that guy who actually landed without opening his parachute using a wingsuit?

Maybe Bond inlfitrating under the radar and perhaps landing it on a moving train?

That would be awesome.

Bad things always happen when you mix Bond with trains, though. ;)
    I also think......I'd simply would love to see James Bond in a new ski-suit again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    If we get a snow scene or two with Deakins back for DP, think of how he would make Dan's blue eyes pop against the snow! It would be awe-inspiring. EON need to do anything to get Roger back.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,119
    If we get a snow scene or two with Deakins back for DP, think of how he would make Dan's blue eyes pop against the snow! It would be awe-inspiring. EON need to do anything to get Roger back.

Wholeheartedly agree. Like cinematographer Wally Phister! After failed Oscar wins for 'Batman', he finally did it with 'Inception' ;-). 'Snow' could be pivotal in making another astonishing looking Bond film. Perhaps resulting in a 2nd Oscar nomination in Cinematography for a whole TEAM of camerapeople in a Bond film: Roger Deakins with 'snowmen' Julian Carr and Halvor Angvik :-D!

Barbara Broccoli? Michael G. Wilson? You scouting this post :-P?
    Is there already some location scouting going on for Bond 24?
    Is there already some location scouting going on for Bond 24?

Not as far as we know? But I would welcome a sequence of this nature in the next movie for sure as long as it fits in with the story?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    How would people feel if Craig didn't get a ski action sequence? For some reason I can't see it happening.