The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 4) Craig brings a cool Steve McQueen 60's vibe to the series.

See I don't get that. People compare him to Connery, the 60s, etc. I don't see it at all and I don't get a Steve Mqueen vibe either.

He does look like Steve Mqueen though.
  • 4) Craig brings a cool Steve McQueen 60's vibe to the series.

See I don't get that. People compare him to Connery, the 60s, etc. I don't see it at all and I don't get a Steve Mqueen vibe either.

I agree he's more GL than SC. where is your god now....
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    4) Craig brings a cool Steve McQueen 60's vibe to the series.

I agree he's more GL than SC. where is your god now....

I think that too. To me he seems like a bit of a Dalts/Lazenby combo. He has (or had, didn't see that much of it in SF to be honest) the dark, assassin qualities of TD and the toughness, and emotional/human side of GL.

The comedy is his own thing, mostly just dry wit. Actually in SF he did have a few Moore/Brosnan esque one liners.

These aren't criticisms btw, I still like his Bond.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I see the connection to Connery in that Craig is strong, simmering, resourceful, totally believable. Although Connery is - out of all Bonds - the most masculine and macho, for sure. I personally don't get a Steve McQueen vibe from Craig; to me, McQueen was always relaxed and cool, offbeat a bit. I really don't see any Lazenby in Craig either, but then the only thing positive I felt about Lazenby's Bond was that he could really fight, great in action scenes. But emotional/human? Not really.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    But emotional/human? Not really.

I think the scenes with Bond and Tracy after they fall in love show a really human Bond. And the last bit of OHMSS is still for my money the saddest ending in the series, and I think if Lazenby hadn't pulled it off so well then it wouldn't have been as good.

I prefer Moore to be honest so I wouldn't have had him carry on way into the 70s, but I do think it's a shame Lazenby didn't do another one or two. He should've at least done DAF and although YOLT is actually my favourite Connery film, I wouldn't have minded him in that one either.
  • I thought GL showed plenty of emotion and genuine onscreen love for Our Trace.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The ending of OHMSS was well acted: I do give Lazenby that, yes. To be fair, I didn't enjoy most of the film and should see it again. Such a downer ending; I feel sorry that Lazenby had that ending in his first (and turns out only) Bond film. But for most of the movie, I just didn't buy him as Bond or felt that he could act. If he had done DAF, that might have been okay, even interesting (and maybe he could have been a better actor by then, one would hope).

The man oozes coolness thats why Bond is as popular as its ever been. Two guys who weren't popular choices (SC and DC) knock it out of the park and make the part their own. I think no man can touch McQueen for that coolness. But Craig and Connery are the only guys who have played Bond that made me want to be them. Never got it with the other guys at all sadly.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Rumour has it that his co- star doesn't want Danny back as he had a fling with her whilst filming and jumped ship.

Why would the film company not have the hottest male star at the moment after skyfalls box office success? Of course this is all gossip but it's true so there.

[CDAN] Wonder why this B list movie actress from an acting family has been looking so glum despite the biggest boost to her career ever? It could have something to do with the fact that this A++ list movie actor was having sex with her while cheating on his significant other and telling her she was everything he wanted and then he ran off and married a B list movie actress. She has not forgiven him, and refuses to talk to him unless absolutely necessary.

Did you read Rooney's statement? She obviously wants him back.

The rumor is just that: A rumor, which is more than likely false on all accounts. Just made to stir pots and sell papers, same old, same old.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601
    This rumor came - long ago - from a trash side, that makes these little games of "Who did what?" Giving very little detail and lets people assume, who they think is meant. Very stupid and not even worth commenting about really. Certainly this one ain't true.

It never made it to more newspaper outlets, which is amazing, as the idea of newly wed Craig cheating on his beautiful wife with little Rooney would have been quite a bite, but maybe even they thought, it was too stupid and feared, he would sue them, which is a possibility, as I am sure, he is not easy game, where Rachel is concerned.
    ^^ Indeed. Why anyone wants to spread any trash they see/hear somewhere (or invent themselves for that matter) anywhere... including here... is beyond me. What's the point?

And speaking of trash, there was a comment somewhere above about that stupid, obviously false Millenium rumour - where-do-these-folks-get-these-stories-from? One place where sun doesn't shine comes to mind. Basically, anything can be written anonymously, and anything can be twisted into a story. Doesn't the Millenium-part-2 rumour remind anyone else of the other one, just a couple of months ago, about Mr. Craig not actually wanting to play Bond and having rather desperately trying to get out of his contract? Who the heck would believe that? It made zero sense. Did that stop it becoming a worldwide "news" item? Of course not. What he had said himself was clearly a joke considering the context. Journalists... 8-|
    actonsteve wrote:
    Craig is a titan who grinds brozzer bond into the gravel with the heel of his foot.

The bonds have been so acclaimed, profitable or esteemed as in his tenure.

I feel sorry for the poor bugger who comes after him...

A lot of people said that about Brosnan - they couldn't imagine whoever came after him reaching anywhere near the same popularity!

The situation with Brosnan and Craig reminds me of Matt Smith replacing David Tennant in Doctor Who. Both Brosnan and Tennant were very much "stars" who brought their franchises to huge levels of popularity not seen for a very long time. Because of that, their fans were very sorry to see them go and people were wary of the actors who would follow them. Then , when Craig and Smith were both announced, there was a shocked response to their casting with a lot of people wondering how the powers that be could have got it all so wrong (Craig's looks, Smith's age).

Yet both Craig and Smith delivered exceptional performances, won over a lot of their critics (there will always be those who revel in their stubbornness), showed that you could still find new things to do with the character, and continued or exceeded the popular love of their predecessors. So, while my initial reaction would be "I don't envy whoever follows them" I'm prepared to be surprised and impressed :-)

agreed
  • @thelordflashheart I get the comparison but I think Brosnan was much better as Bond than Tennant was as the doctor.

I know people accuse Brozza of being too smug and cocky but Tennant was on a whole other level. I thought his voice was pretty grating too (he should've kept his natural accent). I wish Eccleston had stayed on.
    Regarding TGWTDT, to find and pick up such an obscure, unsubstantiated and anonymous comment to blacken Daniel and Rooney and say it’s the truth beggars belief and is kind of sick. An un-sourced article claiming DC is demanding more money makes this the truth too I suppose. Rooney has debunked what has been said and even she doesn’t know if or when the film(s) will be made since Fincher/Another Director hasn’t even been signed up yet. The article lacks validity and reads like another muck raking exercise which some of us seem to thrive on. I suppose he should take it as a compliment, because when you’re doing something right there will always be others trying to tear you down.

Love or hate him it’s hard to deny that Mr Craig has given 007 his mojo back be it, higher levels of quality, talent, milestones and kudos.

What I find fascinating about him is the contradictions and enigmatic responses he makes amid claims that he is nothing like Bond, and yet there is stoic professionalism, bull dog spirit, unwavering commitment, giving 100% and succeeding despite certain fans who willed his failure and now resent him because he’s given the franchise a well needed kick up the backside.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    hisqos wrote:
    What I find fascinating about him is the contradictions and enigmatic responses he makes amid claims that he is nothing like Bond, and yet there is stoic professionalism, bull dog spirit, unwavering commitment, giving 100% and succeeding despite certain fans who willed his failure and now resent him because he’s given the franchise a well needed kick up the backside.

That's our typical modest Dan. He could carry the world on his shoulders and he would still talk of being just a normal guy. That's actually one of the more endearing things about him. :)
  • I'm looking forward to the sequels to TGWTDT. Loved the books (the level of detail surpassed even Fleming, even the skill presenting it did not) and it's always great to have a strong heroine.

Having said that I prefer Mara as Lisbeth. In a strange turn, the Swedish version had the more "Hollywood" version of Lisbeth; Rapace was the more kick-ass movie-star version. I found Mara's performance closer to the book.

Also, the first Swedish film was very good but I found the two sequels to be just good/okay. Looking forward to the American versions.
    hisqos wrote:

That's our typical modest Dan. He could carry the world on his shoulders and he would still talk of being just a normal guy. That's actually one of the more endearing things about him. :)

Nice way to put it. Loved the read. Thanks guys. But I believe, its not only modesty.
    Did anybody ever see "The big country"?
    Gregory Pecks character comes to a ranch and is challenged by several guys to do this and that. He always backs up in that moment, when the crowd AND his girl are waiting for him to put on the fight or ride the horse to prove, how much of a man he is.
    But in the dark of the night or when the chance is there, that nobody sees it, he does all those things, because the only one he has to prove anything to is himself.

Great film by Willy Wyler.

It's more physical I suppose. The wardrobes he has in all the bond flicks are very reminiscent to the kind of outfits McQueen wore - the cardigan (Bullitt), the Harrington jacket and white jeans in QoS, and riding a bike (The Great Escape), the leather jacket and light jeans in the Miami airport scene is very similar to Hilts outfit.

It helps that Craig looks like McQueen, and I think there has been a concious decision to dress Craig in McQueen outfits whenever Bond is not wearing Tom Ford suits.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Daniel Craig appreciation
    by DarthDimi

Besides being a tremendous actor, Craig also has the looks I seek in Bond and the power of a man who can control his aggression but keeps the fires inside burning and consumes their energy bit by bit to survive in the field. His eyes have torment written all over them, underlined by a ferocious desire to pursue justice - his kind of justice. This Bond isn't bland but instead is one of the most complicated and conflicted Bonds ever projected on screen. He's the smoking gun in the Bond pantheon of the past two decades. He's the Bond even Fleming hadn't fully thought about.
    As far as I can tell, there's still a lot more Bond for us to have, and a lot more Craig for Bond to have.

Excellent post, @DarthDimi, and I especially like the way you put this. I wholeheartedly agree.

Thank you, @4EverBonded!
    I love Craig as Bond, almost as much as I love Dalton and Connery, and Moore, as Bond. I guess I also appreciate Lazenby and even Brosnan. Hell, I love 'em all! :-)
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    hisqos wrote:
    Regarding TGWTDT, to find and pick up such an obscure, unsubstantiated and anonymous comment to blacken Daniel and Rooney and say it’s the truth beggars belief and is kind of sick. An un-sourced article claiming DC is demanding more money makes this the truth too I suppose. Rooney has debunked what has been said and even she doesn’t know if or when the film(s) will be made since Fincher/Another Director hasn’t even been signed up yet. The article lacks validity and reads like another muck raking exercise which some of us seem to thrive on. I suppose he should take it as a compliment, because when you’re doing something right there will always be others trying to tear you down.

Love or hate him it’s hard to deny that Mr Craig has given 007 his mojo back be it, higher levels of quality, talent, milestones and kudos.

Well put, thanks. I agree on everything. :)
    Germanlady wrote:

Nice way to put it. Loved the read. Thanks guys. But I believe, its not only modesty.
    Did anybody ever see "The big country"?
    Gregory Pecks character comes to a ranch and is challenged by several guys to do this and that. He always backs up in that moment, when the crowd AND his girl are waiting for him to put on the fight or ride the horse to prove, how much of a man he is.
    But in the dark of the night or when the chance is there, that nobody sees it, he does all those things, because the only one he has to prove anything to is himself.

Great film by Willy Wyler.

Hmm. I agree with Brady that the modesty is endearing, but I also agree with GL that it's not only modesty. I can't remember "The Big Country", and while Daniel has had to prove things to other people as well (certainly when cast as Bond), I would agree that he doesn't do things specifically to prove himself to others - and it's great when one doesn't feel the need to do that. For some reason what GL said about Peck's character in that movie reminded me of this Ben Whishaw quote:

Q: You’ve worked with Daniel Craig a few times – has he changed since becoming Bond?
    A: No, he’s exactly the same – a really nice bloke. He’s a perfectionist; incredibly dedicated to his work and pretty hard on himself. I think he does feel the pressure of that character and having to deliver. But he can also be very playful and quite silly.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/ben-whishaw-qs-slicker-this-time

Thanks, @Germanlady, I heard Gregory Peck and William Wyler and marked that film down on my IMDb watchlist! It sounds fantastic, and Gregory was the perfect actor to choose for that part. Very much how he seemed to be in life, tough and capable, but he didn't feel he had to prove his worth to anyone.
    Rooney Mara: I ‘Hope’ To Make Dragon Tattoo Sequels; Actress Says Daniel Craig Also Game To Return

http://www.accesshollywood.com/rooney-mara-i-hope-to-make-dragon-tattoo-sequels-actress-says-daniel-craig-also-game-to-return_article_75970
    Maybe this could be used to introduce some older films to those, who are interested.

Enduring Love

An intelligent and gripping dramatic thriller, Enduring Love is a real rarity: a film better than the book it's adapted from. Daniel Craig is exceptional as Joe, a hard-nosed science expert whose world view is shaken after a botched rescue attempt at a ballooning accident leaves another man dead. He begins to obsess over what he could have done differently, while fellow rescuer Jed (Rhys Ifans) develops a dangerous crush on him. This is one love Joe could well do without.

The ingredients are here for a gay Fatal Attraction, but Roger Michell’s engrossing film is more thoughtful than such a glib description suggests. The script explores love (obviously), fate and biology vs passion. "We’re just stupid organisms," gripes Joe, but neither he nor the movie are quite prepared to accept that as fact.

"UNUSUALLY STRONG PERFORMANCES"

There is a vein of dark humour throughout - Craig's verbal demolition of his adulterous brother-in-law; Ifans classroom rendition of a Beach Boys song - and a visual flair rare in British films that is evident from the breath-snatching opening to an image of a child's balloon drifting away, its distorted reflection illustrating Joe's turbulent state of mind. This picture isn't perfect, but it's ambitious, vigorous and deserves to be caught.

http://www.moviecitynews.com/festivals/toronto_2004/index.html
    'll never forget the quote:
    The small library was filled with crew people, but it was, as if he was alone in the room. He was all, you saw.

Even more "surprising" since he didn't look like a million dollar, just an average guy - just shows, you may put him into average clothes, put glasses on his nose and whatnot - he will never be average...he couldn't, if he tried and we know, he does try,

The full film

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The Mother
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2003/11/10/roger_michell_the_mother_interview.shtml
    http://thehollywoodinterview.blogspot.com/2010/12/roger-michell-hollywood-flashback.html

Trailer
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    @Germanlady, considering you are a supreme authority on this:

What other Daniel Craig films would you recommend (for me, basically)? I have seen some here and there, like Munich, Layer Cake, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, bits of his others and obviously his Bond work, but would love to get into his other films as well. He is basically on my list of actors/actresses of whom I will watch anything and everything they are in, so I am game for any suggestions you may offer.
  • @0Brady I'd recommend Our Friends In The North. It's not a film, it's a TV serial, but it's the best performance I've ever seen from Craig (I've seen him in OFITN, Munich, Layer Cake, the Bond films, and the crapfests that were Tomb Raider and Cowboys and Aliens).
    @0Brady I'd recommend Our Friends In The North. It's not a film, it's a TV serial, but it's the best performance I've ever seen from Craig (I've seen him in OFITN, Munich, Layer Cake, the Bond films, and the crapfests that were Tomb Raider and Cowboys and Aliens).

Thanks, it's now on my watchlist. My favorite performances by him are actually the Bond films, so I can't wait to see more from him to compare.

I love him in everything (he can elevate a crap film like Sean could), but I have to admit that his English accent in TGWTDT throws me off bad. I had to seriously suspend my disbelief when a man named Mikael Blomkvist sounds like he is an Englishman in Sweden while everyone around him has some kind of Swedish accent put on. But hey, it's a great film anyway, and if I heard Dan's version of a Swedish accent I'd probably be happier that this was the way he played it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I very much doubt Craig will top Geordie Peacock in OFITN he's astounding and so are his other cast members Christopher Eccleston & Mark Strong and Gina Mckee with great support from Peter Vaughn, David Bradley and Malcolm McDowell.

I can rarely say that UK televison is on a par with the U.S in the last 2 decades but with OFITN it is, up there with The Wire & Soprano's in my view and for me the best thing the BBC has ever produced.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Brady, have you seen Defiance?

The Mother, Sylvia, Flashbacks Of A Fool, Infamous, The Trench?

The Ice House? (a tv mini series)

Obviously your tastes might be veeeeery different from mine, but...

Sorry for jumping in, couldn't resist... ;)
    @Tuulia, other than a few parts of him in Flashbacks, I haven't seen any of those you mentioned. He isn't in Flashbacks that much since most of the film seems to be of his past self instead of present, but again, I haven't seen it all. I will have to give it the full watch it deserves sometime soon.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I can't believe road to perdition has been mentioned. Craig plays a slimey git perfectly in that film.