Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes Confirmed for 'Bond 23'? Naomie Harris as Moneypenny?

Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
edited July 2011 in News Posts: 40,372
This was taken from www.slashfilm.com:

We haven’t had a lot of real news about the Sam Mendes-directed Bond 23 since the release dates were confirmed, but here’s a nice batch of confirmations and one new bit of info. Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes, the former heavily tipped for a role (going so far as to reveal that he would be the villain if cast) and the latter rumored for some time, both seem to be confirmed for the film. And Miss Moneypenny, a staple Bond character who hasn’t been seen since the Pierce Brosnan films, will make an appearance as well, played by Naomie Harris.

The Daily Mail says that Naomie Harris is in final talks to take the role, and also says that Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem are confirmed. As is often the case with Daily Mail reports, the outlet itself can lead to some suspicion, but writer Baz Bamigboye has been on the money with Bond info, and other reports.

Naomie Harris has been rumored for a bit, so this isn’t any sort of surprise, but it’s an interesting note, given the way that the Daniel Craig Bond films have generally done away with many of the classic elements of the franchise. Miss Moneypenny has been a very minor character in past installments, but in casting Naomie Harris there is the suggestion that she might have a bit more to do this time out.

Meanwhile, there’s the question of who might sing the theme to Bond 23 and Bond composer David Arnold still wants Amy Winehouse, who was courted for Quantum of Solace but didn’t do the theme thanks to her own personal issues. Recent tour problems suggest those issues haven’t gone away, so this doesn’t seem the most likely move. She’d be good for the theme, no doubt, but so would Adele, who David Arnold also mentions.

--What are your thoughts?

Comments

• --What are your thoughts?
    My thoughts are if any of these actors were NOT doing B23, they would have stated it by now.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,686

--What are your thoughts?
    My thoughts are if any of these actors were NOT doing B23, they would have stated it by now.

I would think so as well.

Harris has the cute/sweet/hot/geeky looks depending on makeup and outfits to pull off miss moneypenny.

Javier and Fiennes here is a though Javier as the new M and Fiennes the head of a Q cell!!
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    This would be interesting to see, I would need EON confirmation first before I could get excited for this.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,043
    Would be nice to see Fiennes play a new rebooted Q as was rumoured sometime ago, Craig said there was no point re-introducing the character without it being integral to the story, clearly stating he didn't want just a walk on usual type scenarion that Desmond fell into as time went on.

Will wait for EON confirmation before getting too excited though!
    instead of just one person i want Q-branch but more practical gadgets like the attache case in the book of FRWL...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hoping we get confirmation soon - hope it's true!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Suddenly this news/rumour crawls up out of nowhere. So... Harris as the next MP? Wow, yes, I can see it. Young and oozing intelligent manners, why not? I was thrilled about the Bond girl idea, started a few weeks ago, but this changes everything for me. I say go for it!
    yes I want to see Harris as MP in a good number of films, just think of her in black plastic rimmed glasses, hair up, lite makeup, tweet skirt suit...and cheeky smile.
    ummm...I am not a fan of established stars in major roles in the Bond films - it reminds me of the casting disasters of the Brosnan years.

Cubbys idiom of casting unknowns works better for me.
    I agree, acton, but Bardem was great in No Country For Old Men and Collateral, and I think Ralph would be able to pull off any male role in the Bond series.
    Bardem and Fiennes-#WINNING
    Harris as MP...........hmmmmmmm lets see
    but i doubt this will turn out to be true
    although i think bardem will be part of B23 cause many sites are saying that
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've been waiting for Bardem for quite some time; like you I was impressed by his turn in No Country For Old Men. I don’t wish be to carried away, until they have officially confirmed it, but we are going to have a stellar cast for B23. Colour me cautiously excited.
    OK... OK... OK... if Harris IS Moneypenny, I'm claiming unlimited credit for being the first one on MI6 to propose it. And I can see it happening :D

However, I think that's the only bit that sounds the most plausible. I personally can't see Bardem AND Fiennes in the same film. Especially a Bond. Call me a cynic, but like many here, until we get some EON press releases - I shan't be holding my breath. But hey - fingers crossed... a Daily Mail gossip reporter might actually get it right?!
    Hopefully. Could prove extremely interesting.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    ummm...I am not a fan of established stars in major roles in the Bond films - it reminds me of the casting disasters of the Brosnan years.

true, the batting average of major stars in prominent roles in Bond films isn't that great..... but some times it does turn out a few gems..... Christopher Lee, Patrick Macnee, Robert Davi, heck even Sean Bean...

i doesn't bother me really how big a name the actor has - if they are talented, they are talented... done deal for me.... all 3 (Harris, Bardem, Fiennes) are all quality exceptionally talented actors.... i welcome them in with open arms...... my one bit of weirdness, comes from names such as Harris and Fiennes possibly portraying Moneypenny and Q... not that i mind.... but i would've thought them to have bigger leading roles...

we shall see... in time lol..

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This is already being discussed here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/873/bond-girl-rumor-4-naomie-harris.-news-of-the-world-says-its-officially-her./p5

I find it mad, people even here think the Daily Mail "confirming" Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes are taking it as official. For we know they're just sticking together all the rumours and coming to that conclusion.
    Didn't know that far into the discussion it spoke of her playing as Moneypenny, my apologies.
    Plus, nobody is taking it as official. Most of us have stated we are waiting for confirmation.
  • Q, will be played by an Indian.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    What? That's the Q from Carte Blanche, and the book won't be made into Bond 23
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 14
    Javier Bardem to re-introduce the "Henchman-With-A-Gimmick" role??? And Ralph Fiennes (naturally) as the head of Quantum??? (Seems kind of a waste to have him take on the very limited role of classic "Q" instead...) But... like a few other posters have noted, just how much salt are we to take with this coming from the Daily-Mail??? :-?
    The role of Moneypenny never even crossed my mind when I'd read all the stories about Harris, but the minute I heard it I thought it would be a perfect fit. She's very attractive, but not drop dead gorgeous and just seems like she'd fit in the role very nicely. I hope its true.

The only reason Fiennes and Bardem would work in the same movie is if they cast one as the main B23 villain, and the other as the head of QUANTUM. If it works out like this I'd be happy. I really hope they continue on with the QUANTUM story. It doesn't have to be a direct sequel like QoS was to CR (in fact I'm pretty sure even most fans of QoS would hope we don't have another direct sequel), but it could easily function as a movie like TB with one main villain, and one villain as the behind the scenes guy who is exposed and would come into the series in a big way with Bond 24. I just can't wait to see some news from EON.
    I will see all your arguments in favour of this and raise you one "It's being printed by The Daily Fail". The last article I read by them insisted Jenson Button is moving from McLaren to Red Bull Racing in 2012, despite running articles for the past month stating that Lewis Hamilton is moving from McLaren to Red Bull Racing.

http://iamdanthomas.blogspot.com/2011/06/bad-journalism.html

Read this and tell me that anything a tabloid publishes is credible.

true, the batting average of major stars in prominent roles in Bond films isn't that great..... but some times it does turn out a few gems..... Christopher Lee, Patrick Macnee, Robert Davi, heck even Sean Bean...

I will give you Christopher Lee. His casting was a masterstroke and is possibly the best thing in TMWTGG. And I am a big MWTGG fan.

But Robert Davi isnt/wasnt known on this side of the Atlantic. Patrick McNee was a secondary role and Sean Bean? Well, he didnt work for me because he was Sean Bean.I just remember his bum going up and down as Mellors in Lady Chatterlies Lover.

One of the things which worked about the last two films were the non-names casting. Mathiu Almaric had recent success but he isnt a big name like Bardem or Fiennes. Mads Mikkelson was an unknown (except in Dutch films) and so the character worked. He didnt kick you out of the character like say Jonathan Pryce or Halle Berry did.

I know we are not going to get another Gert Froebe again. And I suppose when you think about it alot of villains were established actors ie Donald Pleasance, Julain Glover, Louis Jordan.

I suppose that is my argument. I prefer established actors rather then "big stars"

And, besides, considering what has been going on over the last two days with the tabloid press - I would take anything they say with a pinch of salt. Eon will probably wrong foot us.

• edited July 2011 Posts: 820
    Well you know the post I made Q & Miss Moneypenny must return well it finally the talk of Miss Moneypenny is finally done. I would mind Naomi Harries for the role. She'll good at it. I hope it will be officially I can close my post.
    For the last two Bonds, I appreciated knowing some characters from very slight roles here and there - Amalric for Munich and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, while Mikkelsen was new to me. I would like this to return, as I'm none too crazy about these bigger-name actors getting the roles. But, time will tell.
    So the producers turned Felix leiter Black & now Moneypenny. Who's next. M? Bond?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Didn't know that far into the discussion it spoke of her playing as Moneypenny, my apologies.
    It was just my attempt to keep everything regarding Harris in one thread in order to make things tidier. No offense meant @Creasy47, I must have been in a bad mood last night.

Welcome aboard the good ship MI6!
    It was just my attempt to keep everything regarding Harris in one thread in order to make things tidier. No offense meant @Creasy47, I must have been in a bad mood last night.

Welcome aboard the good ship MI6!
    None taken, it's fine. Thanks for the welcome!