Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    Why does everyone hate the Abrams Trek Movie? It's an improvement over the last two that came before it.
    It was better than Nemesis, but nowhere near as good as Insurrection.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Why does everyone hate the Abrams Trek Movie? It's an improvement over the last two that came before it.
    It was better than Nemesis, but nowhere near as good as Insurrection.

Eh, I couldn't get into Insurrection. It's boring to me. New trek revitalized the series after Voyager and Enterprise brought it down to near death.
    Murdock wrote:
    New trek revitalized the series after Voyager and Enterprise brought it down to near death.
    After I saw JJ's Trek I bought the last season of Enterprise on DVD, I have a whole new appreciation for it now...
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    New trek revitalized the series after Voyager and Enterprise brought it down to near death.
    After I saw JJ's Trek I bought the last season of Enterprise on DVD, I have a whole new appreciation for it now...
    Eh, the only Enterprise Episode I liked was In a Mirror Darkly.

My problem with JJ's Trek is he's not a fan so he had no problem handing us whatever Star wars-y version of Trek he liked.
    chrisisall wrote:
    My problem with JJ's Trek is he's not a fan so he had no problem handing us whatever Star wars-y version of Trek he liked.

I saw a very good Star Trek movie with no links whatsoever to anything remotely Star Wars.
    JJ once said he enjoyed ST but with so much ST around there is always a lot that is less than average. And his vision of a renewed ST universe was actually quite a revival for the ST universe and got the franchise quite a lot of new fans.

On the subject of SW, the man is a fan and always was. I have more faith in his directoral skills and writingskills than I had in GL, as proven with the miserable prequel trilogy. I think JJ will prove that by returning SW in the foreground of scifi fans the world around.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I liked Enterprise more than most people. It really hit it's stride in the final season with the input of writer and exec. producer, Manny Coto. It's a shame he wasn't given another season.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I think Enterprise should have been given one more season just to finish out the storylines that the writers wanted to flesh out.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,687
    SaintMark wrote:
    I saw a very good Star Trek movie with no links whatsoever to anything remotely Star Wars.
    Nemesis and Star Trek 09 were pretty much the same movie; take a bunch of Trek elements, throw them in a bowl, add lasers, beat until senseless, and bake them at 450 for two hours in the oven of a director that never even saw all the original series episodes.
    SaintMark wrote:
    On the subject of SW, the man is a fan and always was. I have more faith in his directoral skills and writingskills than I had in GL, as proven with the miserable prequel trilogy. I think JJ will prove that by returning SW in the foreground of scifi fans the world around.
    Like I said, JJ will be at home in this franchise, and will certainly hand us the best Star Wars movie since 1977!!! L-)
    talos7 wrote:
    I liked Enterprise more than most people. It really hit it's stride in the final season with the input of writer and exec. producer, Manny Coto. It's a shame he wasn't given another season.
    I agree here too!
    to me Trek 09 was the best movie since First Contact. I enjoyed it because it wasn't afraid to step out of the box. Sure it changed the timeline, but would you want to see remakes of your favorite TOS episodes? Treading old ground is boring. It was time for a new fresh start and I wish nothing but the best for the Abrams Next trek films and Star Wars movies.
    Murdock wrote:
    to me Trek 09 was the best movie since First Contact. I enjoyed it because it wasn't afraid to step out of the box. Sure it changed the timeline, but would you want to see remakes of your favorite TOS episodes?
    My favourite Trek has been subtle and thoughtful; JJ's Trek was hamfisted & sloppy, but then, he was never a fan. The script as is could have basically worked for me, though.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    to me Trek 09 was the best movie since First Contact. I enjoyed it because it wasn't afraid to step out of the box. Sure it changed the timeline, but would you want to see remakes of your favorite TOS episodes?
    My favourite Trek has been subtle and thoughtful; JJ's Trek was hamfisted & sloppy, but then, he was never a fan. The script as is could have basically worked for me, though.

My favorite trek series is The original series and my favorite trek movie is Wrath of Khan IMO the best Trek film made. :)
    Doomsday Machine, Omega Glory & City On The Edge Of Forever are my favourite episodes, Voyage Home is usually my favourite movie mainly for the dialogue (some funny felgercarb).
    chrisisall wrote:
    Doomsday Machine, Omega Glory & City On The Edge Of Forever are my favourite episodes, Voyage Home is usually my favourite movie mainly for the dialogue (some funny felgercarb).

mine are
    The Man Trap
    Mudd's Women
    The Galileo Seven
    I Mudd
    Trouble with Tribbles
    Shore Leave
    Doomsday Machine
    Arena
    Miri
    Enemy Within
    and Dagger of the Mind.

Hahhahaha, I COULD give you my top 25 episodes if you want... :))
    The whole argument that JJ Abrams is an awful choice for director because he isn't a fan is stupid. Just because the director isn't a fan doesn't mean the film will be bad. Robert Wise wasn't a fan when he directed TMP. Nick Meyer wasn't a fan when he Directed Wrath of Khan. Stuart Baird wasn't a fan when he directed Nemesis. (though Nemesis was horrible.)

The point is Being a fan or not should dictate who should be allowed to direct or not. It's a silly arguement. Abrams is a good director. He has experience with Science Fiction and he was a big hit in 2009. New trek isn't Classic TOS no. It's a new look at TOS in a current cinematic style.
    Murdock wrote:
    New trek isn't Classic TOS no. It's a new look at TOS in a current cinematic style.
    LACK of style, more like. Look, I own this mess on DVD, and I get a kind of 'fan-fiction' like kick out of it, especially since Nimoy is in it, but really, it's the Moonraker of Trek.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    New trek isn't Classic TOS no. It's a new look at TOS in a current cinematic style.
    LACK of style, more like. Look, I own this mess on DVD, and I get a kind of 'fan-fiction' like kick out of it, especially since Nimoy is in it, but really, it's the Moonraker of Trek.

What don't you like about it?

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I had no problems with Trek '09, except maybe the lack of screentime/use for Chekov and Sulu.
    I had no problems with Trek '09, except maybe the lack of screentime/use for Chekov and Sulu.

Same here, also add McCoy to that list. I didn't care for the Spock/Uhura romance.
    Murdock wrote:
    http://wisb.blogspot.com/2009/05/movie-review-star-trek-why-it-sucks-and.html
    This says a lot of it...
    Seriously, Trek 09 is better than Spock's Brain, but with all the resources available, that's not saying much. They couldn't even get the Enterprise right, or the damn phasers, for that matter.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    http://wisb.blogspot.com/2009/05/movie-review-star-trek-why-it-sucks-and.html
    This says a lot of it...
    Seriously, Trek 09 is better than Spock's Brain, but with all the resources available, that's not saying much. They couldn't even get the Enterprise right, or the damn phasers, for that matter.

The enterprise looks right to me. It has the saucer and Nacells. Phasers? meh, DS9 did the same thing.
    Murdock wrote:

Same here, also add McCoy to that list. I didn't care for the Spock/Uhura romance.

Ah, McCoy didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but what he did have was great. Specifically his introduction where he's describing why he hates space.
    Murdock wrote:

Ah, McCoy didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but what he did have was great. Specifically his introduction where he's describing why he hates space.

Agreed, Karl Urban did a perfect Job as McCoy. Deforest Kelley would be proud.

Murdock wrote:
    The enterprise looks right to me. It has the saucer and Nacells.
    Sorry, as a fan of the original series from the sixties, and as a professional modeler, THAT Enterprise sucks on a black hole level. And the hand phasers weren’t all that much better.
    McCoy didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but what he did have was great. Specifically his introduction where he's describing why he hates space.
    He was awesome in it. No doubt.
    I liked Pegg, hell, I liked the whole cast, it was just the throwaway mentality that Abrams brought to the project that I resented.
    Don't get me wrong, he's a GREAT director, but a BAD Trek fan. But he will make us Star Wars fans proud, because HE IS ONE TOO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    The enterprise looks right to me. It has the saucer and Nacells.
    Sorry, as a fan of the original series from the sixties, and as a professional modeler, THAT Enterprise sucks on a black hole level. And the hand phasers weren’t all that much better.
    McCoy didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but what he did have was great. Specifically his introduction where he's describing why he hates space.
    He was awesome in it. No doubt.
    I liked Pegg, hell, I liked the whole cast, it was just the throwaway mentality that Abrams brought to the project that I resented.
    Don't get me wrong, he's a GREAT director, but a BAD Trek fan. But he will make us Star Wars fans proud, because HE IS ONE TOO.

I agree with the Phasers. they sucked bad. And I've seen your models there very good. :)

This is the Kelvin phaser
    KelvinPhaser2.jpg

Somebody made a mistake in the prop department.
    Murdock wrote:
    This is the Kelvin phaser
    KelvinPhaser2.jpg
    Somebody made a mistake in the prop department.
    And in the extras you can see Abrams holding a GREAT replica from the original series... and he CHOSE NOT to use it???????
    But, like I said, his Star Wars will ROCK!

chrisisall wrote:
    But, like I said, his Star Wars will ROCK!

Don't judge before you see it. You could be disappointed. ;)

Apparently Cumberbatch's charactor is the Hannibal Lector of the Star Trek universe today! So i am guessing the title is a clue of how this film will be............? Dark!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Benedict is going to crush it, naturally. B-)