The Saint (tv series and movies)

Comments

Hello @HoppyUniatz. Do you know at this stage whether the intro and titles will feature the halo and the stickman similar to the 60's and 70's Saint? Also, it's good to read that you're satisfied with Adam as the new Simon Templar.
  • Whilst I know what you mean, having tried to watch the first episode in the Transporter TV show I really must rush to distance The Saint from that model. I'm usually a sucker for that sort of show but it was awful. A horrible euro-pudding that smacked of putting the production deal several miles before the script.

I must admit I've not yet seen The Transporter, as I believe it's only being broadcasted in Germany at the moment (I'm from Holland). The trailer looked alright, and I heard it was quite popular in Germany, however I've also heard it was a troubled production, and indeed focused mostly on the action.

However, 'The Saint' sounds pretty good, solid cast and if it indeed has a focus on story, then great! Looking forward to it. Also, maybe this has already been answered, but I haven't read through all the comments here: is the show set in present day or in the 50,60,70's? Because the clothing in the picture from Twitter the clothing seems a little old-fashioned, which made me wonder.

• There's been no decision taken yet about the title sequence. We have another couple of weeks of filming to do before anything else.

The pilot is very much set in the present day.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    From The Saint Club:

Roger Moore and Adam Rayner on the set of The Saint at http://www.eagleskiclub.ch/ Simon Templar x two!

BBiyp93CQAEAHdM.jpg:large

Interesting cars on the set of #TheSaint today. Hope that the little white one gets some filming love tomorrow.

BAjbxGaCYAAhzbH.jpg:large
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    This is looking very good indeed, I hope I get a chance to watch it.
    gt007 wrote:
    From The Saint Club:

Roger Moore and Adam Rayner on the set of The Saint at http://www.eagleskiclub.ch/ Simon Templar x two!

BBiyp93CQAEAHdM.jpg:large

Interesting cars on the set of #TheSaint today. Hope that the little white one gets some filming love tomorrow.

BAjbxGaCYAAhzbH.jpg:large

Liking the potential here! Excellent stuff!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Excitement here!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Here's the trailer for the episode:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/tv-trailer-simon-wests-pilot-the-saint

Now we wait to see if a series is made out of it.

What do people think?
  • RC7RC7
    Very disappointed. Looks way too American and nowhere near stylish enough. I was worried when it was confirmed West was directing, looks exactly how I imagined. I'll reserve judgement until I see the first ep, perhaps the story will be very engaging, not holding my breath though.

Oh and the Saint was never an action hero. He just looks like Bond-lite in this.
    It's the stories not being up to par that worry me the most. If they are, I will be able to stomach the action, but my fear is the same as yours @RC7.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I join my voice to the fearful, I'll need to watch an episode to make my mind about it but it didn't thrill me.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 9,730
    It looks decent but I like Elementary Arrow and occasionally the following (i find some of those episodes a bit to creepy for my tastes) so since my tastes in tv tend to be standard American 20 something I am sure I will be in the minority here.
  • Very disappointing :(

It will probably be on Sky Living in the UK which says it all really :P
    RC7 wrote:
    Very disappointed. Looks way too American and nowhere near stylish enough. I was worried when it was confirmed West was directing, looks exactly how I imagined. I'll reserve judgement until I see the first ep, perhaps the story will be very engaging, not holding my breath though.

Oh and the Saint was never an action hero. He just looks like Bond-lite in this.

The Saint was never an actionhero?? Really have you ever read some of his tales, seen his movies? He was an actionhero before James Bond was ever thought of.

And as for the Bond-lite, the producers did borrow a lot form the Simon Templar persona in order to make him more likable. I would say that James Bond is more a Simon Templar light.

O:-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am hopeful; I so love the character. Thanks for the photos!
    Goodness knows when I'll get to see this; probably in 2 years.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    It may be worth mentioning again, this is just one episode, a pilot, at the moment. Someone needs to want to make it into a series first, before anyone gets to see it.

The safest bet is a US/UK co-production.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    It looks promising, so hopefully someone will pick it up and order more episodes. After all, as Sir Rog says in the trailer, the world needs a Saint.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,107
    I hope someone will pick it up. There's room for the saint in the modern world.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I don't know anything about the previous series of the character in general, but pray tell me why they decided to spoil most of the plot of the pilot in this trailer?
    I don't know anything about the previous series of the character in general, but pray tell me why they decided to spoil most of the plot of the pilot in this trailer?

Mostly because it is not a real trailer but a sales pitch first, I would think.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I'm sold. That trailer works for me quite well. The world needs another Bond-like character, (to paraphrase Rog) even though the Saint isn't quite Bond, but still they have a similar appeal.
    I do hopes this series takes off. Rayner looks to be very well cast, and Dushku (from Buffy) is a real nice casting bonus too.
    This news is almost as good as a Man From Uncle re-launch, which will happen.
    They good the first trailer, it has Roger Moore well successor who replace him when Roger was in the Bond movie in 1978. Ian Ogilvy who did the Return of the Saint
    look at the saint web today. http://www.saint.org/
    Just saw it. I think I'm going to like that new version.
    The trailer looks great though it may give too much of the plot away. Seeing Sir Roger at the end was a treat.

I wasn't sold on Rayner before, but I think he will do a great job as Simon after watching this.

The trailer looks a lot like the US show Burn Notice, which might help draw audiences in for The Saint or it will make people think that The Saint is a rip-off of Burn Notice. Burn Notice had potential as a stylish show where the main character uses his special skills to help people out of binds but I felt it lost its sense of fun as the seasons went on.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    28156102009259080072619.jpg
    Nice! Let's hope something comes of it.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Indeed. I'd be very disappointed if it doesn't get at least one season...
    gt007 wrote:
    28156102009259080072619.jpg

Looks promising! :-? Lets hope we get to see it here in the UK?
    I agree with Timmer.

Also how could The Saint not be seen in the UK. That would be like Dr. Who not being shown in the UK.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2013 Posts: 4,416
    Oke, based on that tv spot, my personal wish be:

PO3 aka Nederland 3 (Dutch Public channel) on Friday around 23.20/11.20PM or Sunday 22.20/10.20 PM. If it should be a comercial channel, same channel as Burn Notice every Sunday or Thursday around 22.20 or 22.50/ 10.20 or 10.50 PM. Burn Notice is program around 23.20 on Sunday, i not realy mind that, but for more viewers i think 30-60 minutes earlier is better. The time where earlier there give CSI Miami. This can be from under the 200.000 til over a million viewers based on time, promotion, avaible already on Dvd/BD and how good it be. With the public channel there is big change it always be under the 300.000, but moost of the time there are loyal and stil give them for the fans. Homeland scores good, but for example Mad Men (To late time, not good promotion and already avaible on dvd/bd and and tv series you should step in from series 2 atleast) and Board Walk Empire (programed at the wrong time in the year, also to dificult if you steps in to late.) and Spy (Waiting to long with release it) under perfome.

Friday is a populair day and the only reasen to give it change and in specialy on public channel be that there should program it after 23.20 but Friday late evening screams for a tv series, to make a difrence.

With Disney mabey the owner with all those reference to Disney series is possible going to be 9.30 on Thursday at the time of castle on channel who be in trouble or Sunday 08.30 or 09.30 Pm on the time of Nikita or Arrow (NSCI or Hawai 5-0) If the series is good, then this can be good for 400.000-800.000 viewers.

And The Saint from Roger Moore is not action series in that meaning, also i don't under why there always say The Saint is a thief.

I like to if there whant make tv series from it, in The Netherlands there should release it when the second season Uk going off air and third season is going to be made.