What is your favourite Connery film? (Poll)

124»

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    Anyone else agree with me here that Goldfinger is Connery's worst out of the six? I'll probably be in the vast minority here just like with OHMSS, but I'm going out on a limb. Anyone else think GF isn't that great?

GF gets its due credit for starting the trend of Astons, beautiful ladies in the numbers, and led to bigger stakes and set a lot of popular trends. It is great, but it is the lowest ranked in the Connery golden four including it with FRWL, TB, and DN. GF is great, but gets rough at times because Bond fails a lot during the film. It lacks the classic espionage appeal of the near perfect FRWL, the large risk and rousing action of TB, and the great origin and start off that DN carries. After FRWL, TB, DN, and GF(in that order), comes YOLT and then DAF, a sorry excuse for a Bond film IMO. At YOLT we begin to see too much OTT action for my taste. TB should've been Sean's last so he could have a perfect track record in my eyes, but alas we can't turn back time.

But to clearly answer your original question @00Beast, GF is good, but not in the leagues of some of the others. Its classic appeal and Bond trend starting are something to wink about, and for that is has a special place in many hearts.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 4,762
    I don´t think it´s that good but it´s of massive importance for the Bond franchise. Some of the scenese in Kentucky are not very good. The worst scene is when the troopers are gased. GF is not one of the better Bond films IMO, but I hold it in much higher regard than OHMSS.

Ah, now I see that you and I think alike as Bond fans! However, I'm a little harsher to Goldfinger than you might be. I have it at #21 out of 22, with #22 being OHMSS.
    00Beast wrote:
    Anyone else agree with me here that Goldfinger is Connery's worst out of the six? I'll probably be in the vast minority here just like with OHMSS, but I'm going out on a limb. Anyone else think GF isn't that great?

GF gets its due credit for starting the trend of Astons, beautiful ladies in the numbers, and led to bigger stakes and set a lot of popular trends. It is great, but it is the lowest ranked in the Connery golden four including it with FRWL, TB, and DN. GF is great, but gets rough at times because Bond fails a lot during the film. It lacks the classic espionage appeal of the near perfect FRWL, the large risk and rousing action of TB, and the great origin and start off that DN carries. After FRWL, TB, DN, and GF(in that order), comes YOLT and then DAF, a sorry excuse for a Bond film IMO. At YOLT we begin to see too much OTT action for my taste. TB should've been Sean's last so he could have a perfect track record in my eyes, but alas we can't turn back time.

But to clearly answer your original question @00Beast, GF is good, but not in the leagues of some of the others. Its classic appeal and Bond trend starting are something to wink about, and for that is has a special place in many hearts.

I think that's why so many people praise it, simply because of nostalgia or the whole trend-setting Bond formula thing. I never had any of that with GF, so I just took it strictly by what the movie is, and for that I don't like it very much, it just bores me to death. There are good things about it, like any Bond movie, and I'd watch it certainly above any other non-Bond movie. Still, it's not terrific by any means. And thanks Brady for answering my question! Much appreciated!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,082
    Bond is in Goldfinger´s custody so much that he doesn´t do very much.
    Otherwise the golf game is pretty good, while the Q-scene, Aston Martin and action in Switzerland are great. Extra points for the grandma with the rifle.
    GF always had a soft spot for this one.
    Bond is in Goldfinger´s custody so much that he doesn´t do very much.
    Otherwise the golf game is pretty good, while the Q-scene, Aston Martin and action in Switzerland are great. Extra points for the grandma with the rifle.

Hahaha, that was great! In all honesty, the only scenes out of Goldfinger that are enjoyable are the PTS, the Miami Beach stuff, the Aston Martin DB5 car chase, the laser scene, and Fort Knox finale. Everything else isn't that great, and bores me to death.
    It´s quite slowpaced, I have to admit. I like it more than you do, though.
    It´s quite slowpaced, I have to admit. I like it more than you do, though.

I used to enjoy it a few years ago, but it lost points with me over time.
    It was my favorite when I was 12, largely thanks to the wow, this is GF-factor, but I had a break for three years and was disappointed when I saw it at the age of 16.
    Goldfinger - absolutely first place as Connery Bond film.
    From Russia with Love is the second best.
  • My favourite Sean Connery Bond film is From Russia With Love. It's such a classic.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    1. Goldfinger
    2. Doctor No
    3. Thunderball
  • FRWL
    GF
    Dr.No
    YOLT
    DAF
    TB
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 135
    I'm surprised GF has scored so low... It and Dr No (my two favorite Connery films) are only beating DAF right now...
  • FRWL
    This movie did not follow the Bond formula and it was a classic as mentioned by others not for gadgets or mere shallow image of what cool should look like (as done in the draggy GF) but rather for purposes of telling a good stpry. This movie is what helped inspire CR and the careful planning that went to it. All the actors who auditioned to play Bond had to renact a scene from this very down to earth movie. Down to Earth and to this day remains the one where a Bond girl (not Judi Dench or Vesper's picture on a plane bar table) returns...unless BB and MW live up to their voice of intending to bring Camille back again. It'd be good to see her doing welll and to meet Bond after he escaped his "prison".
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,879
    FRWL
    TB
    GF
    DN (near tie with GF)
    NSNA
    YOLT (near tie with NSNA)
    DAF

All from a 'favourite/most enjoyable' perspective, naturally. Not necessarily my view on 'best to worst' film. However, I probably would still rate FRWL the best film of the bunch.
    Having re-watched all the films over the last month or so, I would still say that FRWL is the best Connery film and the best of the 60's. Dr No is the second best of the Connery films and then GF.

TB, YOLT and DAF show a marked dip in quality from the previous Connery films in my opinion.
  • Goldfinger
    From Russia With Love
    Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice
    Dr. No
    Diamonds Are Forever
  • FRWL would stand as my all time favorite Connery film, followed closely by GOLDFINGER.
  • GOLDFINGER without a doubt
  • YOLT. It's a big, exotic adventure with a brilliant score and theme song, the best set of the entire series, a great iconic villian and more.
    Updated Connery Ranking

1. Diamonds Are Forever
    2. From Russia with Love
    3. Thunderball
    4. Dr. No
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6. Goldfinger
    00Beast wrote:
    Updated Connery Ranking

1. Diamonds Are Forever
    2. From Russia with Love
    3. Thunderball
    4. Dr. No
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6. Goldfinger

Nice list Beast! Why the jump for Diamonds? (I must say I certainly approve!)
    JBFan626 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Updated Connery Ranking

1. Diamonds Are Forever
    2. From Russia with Love
    3. Thunderball
    4. Dr. No
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6. Goldfinger

Nice list Beast! Why the jump for Diamonds? (I must say I certainly approve!)

I actually have always highly favored DAF, and it was just a matter of deciding whether or not FRWL would take the number one spot for Connery, or if it would! I decided that when I got down to the heart of the matter, I found more delight in watching DAF!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,425
    GF
    FRWL
    DN
    YOLT
    TB
    DAF
  • 1. Goldfinger (My Favourite Connery film)
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. You Only Live Twice
    4. Dr. No
    5. Thunderball
    6. Diamonds are Forever
  • 1. Dr No
    2. Thunderball
    3. From Russia With Love
    4. Goldfinger
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6 Diamonds Are Forever
  • 1. GF