What about General Grubozaboischikov?

edited January 2013 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 14,799
Could he be used and if so how? I think he can be and should be, although he should of course be revamped.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I had the idea - long ago, on the old forums - of using him as the head of Quantum.

I even mentioned the idea again <a href="http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/853/develop-quantum-leaders-character">here</a>.
  • Haven't read FRWL yet so I can't really judge but I think I'd prefer Blofeld as the head of Quantum.

I think the trouble is he was head of SMERSH, so it would take a fair bit of updating. Maybe he's a former general turned terrorist leader?

I think a better idea is him being high ranking Quantum agent though. Since they have people everywhere maybe General G could be their man in the Russian goverment.

I'd quite like it if a a bit of a Bond movie was set in Russia again, although not St Petersburg as I think that was done pretty well in Goldeneye. He could go to Moscow maybe? I'm probably stupidly forgetting a film but I'm not sure Bond himself has ever been there.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think that it's spelt "Grubozaboyschikov"
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    or just "G." Reading FRWL now. Such descriptive text in that one. "There will be....displeasure."
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I think that it's spelt "Grubozaboyschikov"

My mistake...
    Haven't read FRWL yet so I can't really judge but I think I'd prefer Blofeld as the head of Quantum.

I think the trouble is he was head of SMERSH, so it would take a fair bit of updating. Maybe he's a former general turned terrorist leader?

I think a better idea is him being high ranking Quantum agent though. Since they have people everywhere maybe General G could be their man in the Russian goverment.

I'd quite like it if a a bit of a Bond movie was set in Russia again, although not St Petersburg as I think that was done pretty well in Goldeneye. He could go to Moscow maybe? I'm probably stupidly forgetting a film but I'm not sure Bond himself has ever been there.

He could be the head of Quantum, or the head of an updated, modernised SMERSH. I would be happy either way, but would much prefer the ladder, if only because it is closer to the novel. General G could be a former Russian general/high ranking spy turned rogue, deciding to use the word SMERSH for his organisation for nostalgic reasons and because of the baggage it carries. He could be a sort of Keyser Soze, his existence not even recognised officially and doubted by secret services. There is enough matter right there for a few movies and a memorable encounter.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The only reason I didn't mention SMERSH is, they aren't part of the films at the moment and we have no indication they're going to be brought in. It's better I thought, to suggest something that may actually come to pass.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The only reason I didn't mention SMERSH is, they aren't part of the films at the moment and we have no indication they're going to be brought in. It's better I thought, to suggest something that may actually come to pass.

I wonder if they have/had in mind a leader for Quantum, or if they imagined a commitee with no true leader, only a number of equals. If there is a head of Quantum, I think they will go for an original character, modeled after Blofeld, or maybe Blofeld himself.
  • I reckon Blofeld could end up being the leader of Quantum.

I don't see the point in bringing back a modernised SMERSH while we still have Quantum. Maybe for one film, but I don't want 2 recurring evil organisations.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 14,799
    I reckon Blofeld could end up being the leader of Quantum.

I don't see the point in bringing back a modernised SMERSH while we still have Quantum. Maybe for one film, but I don't want 2 recurring evil organisations.

Oh I agree. I think Bond should first finish what was started with Quantum. If they use SMERSH or SPECTRE, it should be after, like in the novels SPECTRE took over/succeeded to SMERSH.
  • Somebody came up with the idea of SPECTRE being introduced and having sort of a war with Quantum, I think that could be pretty cool.

Maybe for Bond 24 we have a film where Bond stops Quantum. After Bond 24, the organisation is falling apart and eventually Blofeld (a member of Quantum) splits off with a group of other members and forms SPECTRE, who try to take over what's left of Quantum while MI6/Bond is caught up in the middle for some reason or other.
    Somebody came up with the idea of SPECTRE being introduced and having sort of a war with Quantum, I think that could be pretty cool.

Maybe for Bond 24 we have a film where Bond stops Quantum. After Bond 24, the organisation is falling apart and eventually Blofeld (a member of Quantum) splits off with a group of other members and forms SPECTRE, who try to take over what's left of Quantum while MI6/Bond is caught up in the middle for some reason or other.
    Not sure it would work very well, MI6/Bond could easily get sidelined. Anyway this is a topic about General G.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    edited January 2013 Posts: 259
    Somebody came up with the idea of SPECTRE being introduced and having sort of a war with Quantum, I think that could be pretty cool.

I would prefer Quantum and SPECTRE to be allied to kill Bond and if EON has the film right to adapt Benson's novel, we can put The Union in here. I would love Bond to fight all three organization in one film.

Also maybe General Grubozaboischikov can be a disgruntled ex-Soviet General that want to revive the Soviet regime (I can imagine him like Ourumov from Goldeneye) that become a member of Quantum or SPECTRE or maybe become a commanding officer of The Union to help revive the Soviet regime instead of the leader of SMERSH like in the novel.

BTW, what the hell kind of name is Grubozaboischikov, that doesn't even sound like a real Russian name, I have friends that speak Russian and if I show them this name, they may find that name unrealisitic and not plausible for a real Russian. Any Russian fan of James Bond tell if that name sound just not real and plausible.

mdo007 wrote:
    BTW, what the hell kind of name is Grubozaboischikov, that doesn't even sound like a real Russian name, I have friends that speak Russian and if I show them this name, they may find that name unrealisitic and not plausible for a real Russian. Any Russian fan of James Bond tell if that name sound just not real and plausible.

Grubozaboyschikov could be a code name/nom de guerre. Especially if General G is described as a Keyser Soze kind of villain.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Here.
This discussion has been closed.