Fourth Movie Curse: Over the Top-ness

edited January 2013 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 1,280
According to a quote by DC (ask me if you need the reference), he has stated that the presidence has been set for the series to go back to the old formula. We see this as Ralph Fiennes tries to pay homage but ends up trying to be a carbon copy of the older M with the raised eyebrows and wrinkled forehead in the last scene of SF.

DC has said that he welcomes the idea of having a villain with a volcano and an underground base. If this turns to fruition, we shall save our *moneys* and forget the efforts of the production behind SF to make a movie that is Oscar-caliber. The producers tried beginning with CR, then QOS got some award nominations, and now it has become apparent that the possibility of Bond movies being pigeonholed in the minds of Academy voters in the U.S. to its disadvantage: that doesn't mean that the producers should stop trying to aim high.

SF has enough to satisfy many fans of the old Bond series along with those of the last 2 films.

A belated hello to everyone on this forum! Do you think DC's next outing will be an opposition of the previous 3 films' efforts for realism and noir-esque art? This 4th movie OTT theory has held true so far.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Who would give QoS an editing award?! That must be farce.
  • I forgot the specific awards QOS was nominated for, not that it matters...many people can agree that QOS will find more fans with time perhaps though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I forgot the specific awards QOS was nominated for, not that it matters...many people can agree that QOS will find more fans with time perhaps though.

I agree, but certainly not for the bloody editing.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    A belated hello to everyone on this forum!
    Howdy, mate. Welcome to the forum. :-h
    Do you think DC's next outing will be an opposition of the previous 3 films' efforts for realism and noir-esque art?
    I'm pretty confident Bond24 will be along the lines of Skyfall, and discarding things like over-the-top gadgets, as Q stated. I guess anything can happen. I'd certainly welcome a bit more OTTness (but not much more), however awesome Skyfall was.
    This 4th movie OTT theory has held true so far.
    Except Connery's fourth film was Thunderball, which I regard as less OTT than Goldfinger.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    TB was more ambitious than all the previous, but that isn't the same as OTT for me. We start getting OTT when Bond and others are fighting a volcano lair in Japan. There wasn't ever a time where I eye rolled and said, "yeah right, like that could ever happen." Bond films are obviously very escapist and out there, but with TB it is grounded more than man others, and fits well with DN, FRWL, and GF before it.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,494
    TB was more ambitious than all the previous, but that isn't the same as OTT for me. We start getting OTT when Bond and others are fighting a volcano lair in Japan. There wasn't ever a time where I eye rolled and said, "yeah right, like that could ever happen." Bond films are obviously very escapist and out there, but with TB it is grounded more than man others, and fits well with DN, FRWL, and GF before it.

I have. DAD and MR.
    They will stick with this new Bond and keep it real and not go too over the top.
    The 4th Movie Curse... That would be TB, MR and DAD.

There's no way in hell EON will get as OTT as MR and DAD, so lets just leave those alone and focus on TB. ;)

Probably the 3 most glaring OTT elements of TB would be:
    - SPECTRE meeting hall complete with electric chairs
    - Largo's shark tank
    - Epic underwater battle finale

Honorable Mention:
    - Guy has facial reconstructive surgery to look exactly like Domino's bro

I think that these three OTT sequences are what really make thunderball an interesting and suspenseful Bond flick. They provide a sort of grounded escapism that really allows the audience to sit back and be entertained. The movie gains a lot from these elements and if EON borrows from TB for Bond 24 I will be one happy moviegoer (and Bond fan).

Skyfall has been one of the most realistic Bond flicks to date, yet it still engages the audience's suspension of disbelief for a few scenes (Silva's malformed mandible, etc).
    Fantasy franchises must build upon themselves over time (ie. STAR WARS would have suuucked if it the emperor showed up in episode IV shooting lightning out of his hands) Once the audience is engaged in a series after a few films, it can start to add that WOW factor, and really blow the audience's socks off in a very positive way! Fantastic OTT elements have a rich tradition in Bond cinema, with some of the best and most iconic films being great examples. I think after three films of build-up, it's high time for Dan to have a more epic adventure in 007's tux.

I have. DAD and MR.

I think he meant in TB. And if so, I agree with 0Brady, TB is not OTT. It is certainly large scale, but remains believable. I would love to see a similar approach to Craig's fourth movie: a large scale plot that remains plausible.
  • I think it's inevitable...I think they have to get more fantasy based over time, so when the next guy picks up with PPK, they can say "We're taking it back to the Fleming roots." For every long serving Bond, their movies have gotten progressively more fantastical (aka s***) as their tenure has gone on.
    Ludovico wrote:

I have. DAD and MR.

I think he meant in TB. And if so, I agree with 0Brady, TB is not OTT. It is certainly large scale, but remains believable. I would love to see a similar approach to Craig's fourth movie: a large scale plot that remains plausible.

Yes, that's what I mean. Our dear @SirHenry was just branching off and throwing a little salt on DAD and MR, and I can't quite blame him. ;)
  • I think it's inevitable...I think they have to get more fantasy based over time, so when the next guy picks up with PPK, they can say "We're taking it back to the Fleming roots." For every long serving Bond, their movies have gotten progressively more fantastical (aka s***) as their tenure has gone on.

I have to remind everyone: the Moore era faced a backlash after MR and because Cubby had the crash-'till-it goes down approach as noticed through using John Glenn's direction over and over again afterwards. Then came the down-to-earth FYEO, and later AVTAK.

Please don't mention DAD. I had a personal apology verbally given by Mr. Wade himself. I should have asked him if I could have my $10 back with some interest after all these years. I was rolling my eyes at the invisible car, and wondering when this damn movie would end during the noisy ice palace chase....but I don't want to address too much of my own opinion on this thread. I'll try to stick to facts. Michael Wilson was kind enough to accept a letter from me encouraging him to maintain the DC series with as much realism as possible when I pointed out to him that the Bond movies that have made the most *moneys* have been those that came out after a down to earth or critically acclaimed film.

Now, movies like TSWLM, weren't all that down-to-earth but at least they had their critical strengths for their time and maybe beyond for some.

Well in Daniel Craig 4th outing but Ralph Fiennes name is not on the Bond 24 cast list in IMDB if he's the new M. Neither is Ben Whishaw as Q & Naomi Harries as Miss Moneypenny. But they be there some how.