Surely a Joke? 007 Legends nominated for "Outstanding Writing" award.

MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
edited January 2013 in 007 Gaming Posts: 2,032
I kid you not!

Six games representing a broad range of developers and genres have been given the nod. They are:

007 Legends
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Halo 4
Uncharted: Golden Abyss

The nominations have triggered some criticisms from within the games community - particularly for the omission of Telltale Game's The Walking Dead, a game which scooped up numerous 'game of the year' awards and is widely regarded as a benchmark for interactive fiction.

By contrast, nominee 007 Legends has been subjected to damning assessments from critics due to its apparently unadventurous narrative.

However, the Writers Guild of America awards are reserved for those who nominate themselves within certain lobbying periods, or those who are already members of the guild.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/387240/writers-guild-names-outstanding-writing-award-nominees/

Comments

• oo7oo7
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,068
    It is surely an outstanding write off...
    188477_o.gif
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm more than a little pissed off.
  • Epic Mickey 2. Really.
    Just as well The Walking Dead was omitted, it would be an insult to be on that list.
    yes they probarly took bribes from Activison....

just like how the academy awards included The Tourist as a Nominee (probarly to spend a day with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie with tickets to Cher)

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    002 wrote:
    yes they probarly took bribes from Activison....

just like how the academy awards included The Tourist as a Nominee (probarly to spend a day with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie with tickets to Cher)

Yeah but what are they offering here as a bribe? Free copies of 007 Legends? I suppose if you are after some novelty drinks coasters for a birthday present they have some residual value maybe.
    Certainly a bit late to give out free SF tickets as pretty much everyone in the English speaking world has seen it by now.

What a joke! I think we should find out who the people are who actually vote and then club together to lobby them so it wins. Would be hilarious and render the awards a laughing stock.

Unless of course these awards are actually the Razzies of gaming?
  • AliAli
    edited January 2013 Posts: 319
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • This is unbelievable. What outstanding writing are we talking about? There wasn't any writing at all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If "outstanding writing" means a game narrative that completely tarnishes the entire 50 year history of a franchise with little or no attention to the character, the world he lives in, his allies, the villains, the plots of the long running series, or any characteristics hithero discussed that are connected to or are a crucial part of such a franchise, then yes, 007 Legends, step up and received your prize. X(
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    After the Goldeneye remake I thought "the good news is the next one can't be worse"

From the looks of things I was wrong. They made the same game except they butchered 6 films instead of 1 and threw in some crap driving levels and fist fights.
  • WWWHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???????? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(
  • AliAli
    In its defence, it is outstandingly crap....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The worst hasn't happened yet - it could win!
  • I've played Assassins Creed 3 and there's no way the writing in Legends beats that.

Haven't played the rest of those although there's a 99.9% chance that every single one of them is better written (and just plain better) than 007 Legends.
  • AliAli
    The best writing this year was Spec Ops: The Line. One of the most intelligent and surprising games in years. What appears to be a bog basic shooter hides some real surprises and questions the gamer in ways no other shooter has ever tried.

That it wasn't even nominated shows how much these awards are governed by money.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ali wrote:
    The best writing this year was Spec Ops: The Line. One of the most intelligent and surprising games in years. What appears to be a bog basic shooter hides some real surprises and questions the gamer in ways no other shooter has ever tried.

That it wasn't even nominated shows how much these awards are governed by money.

I have wanted to play that game for so long. The demo captivated me and the fact that it is based on Heart of Darkness makes me excited.
  • I reckon The Walking Dead had the best writing, but then I haven't played the game you mentioned.
  • AliAli

I have wanted to play that game for so long. The demo captivated me and the fact that it is based on Heart of Darkness makes me excited.

It's a brilliant retelling of HoD as well. The ending is quite different but equally worthy. Well worth playing especially now it's so cheap. If you ever played Homefront, it's not dissimilar in places, but far, far better done. The big reveal at the end is up there with Bioshock for twists.

For about half of it, it's just another third person shooter in the Uncharted, Ghost Recon, Blood Stone mould. You kill hundreds of bad guys as you go through each level. Then one level turns everything on its head and, from that point on, all your preconceptions just get blown out of the water.

After you finish it, it's worth playing through again with the knowledge of what happens and you realise just how easy our point of view, as gamers, is manipulated. Hugely clever game, just stay away from the multiplayer. It's a last minute rush job and the dev team didn't want to do it.

Also worth noting that there are 4 possible endings so save often!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You people are making me want to buy Spec Ops: The Line now...
  • You people are making me want to buy Spec Ops: The Line now...

Get The Walking Dead instead. You get all that moral dilema stuff except it's cheaper and comes with zombies :P
  • AliAli
    Does it have white phosphorus though? The best games do....

The only reviewer I trust these days likes it too, in his own inimitable style...

And this comment sums it up perfectly: "An hour later after playing this, I still feel sick with guilt. I hope this spells the end of "Modern Realistic Shooters", because this just beats them all..."

You people are making me want to buy Spec Ops: The Line now...

Get The Walking Dead instead. You get all that moral dilema stuff except it's cheaper and comes with zombies :P

I was already going to do that. I've been a Walking Dead fan for years (first the comics, then the TV show, then I played a demo of the game).