WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CARTOON SERIES?

edited January 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 71
Did you sit in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal in your lap watching cartoons as a kid? Me, too.
Let's have some fun and dig up those warm memories.
Mine favorite is batman the animated series ,spiderman tas, Flintstones/Jetsons,Johnny Quest...

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 1,107
    What a great idea!

Much too difficult to choose :

Jonny Quest. A solid cartoon had an incredible history just like strong characters. The show diserve the success it had.

Scooby Doo, fore sure. One of the biggest cartoons ever. The franchise have new shows every couple of year. For me it's one of the best. The story, the mistery, and always the space for comedy. In general the serie was intelligent, we have distinct characters that works togheter as an investigation team and a funny group.

Batman TAS - It has been a long hard journey to mainstream media for comic book characters, but finally Batman made it with time to spare in Batman: The Animated Series (later renamed The Adventures of Batman & Robin). Groundbreaking animation, superior voice-over work, and top-notch stories have made this series into a creation too stupendous to call a "cartoon." Each episode was a wondrous, albeit dark, trip through Batman's world, and how he faces each and every obstacle Gotham City gives him. Much like an amalgam of all of Batman's two-dimensional incarnations, this series' Dark Knight is tortured and driven, but not requite enough to give his enemies pithy comebacks and display romantic charms. Definitely, this is the way the Batman should and always be depicted.

And also Bravestarr was an excellent cartoon series. It was one of My favorites and I liked it just as much as He-Man and the Masters of the Universe! The cartoon was always action packed and exciting and even viewing it today its still one awesome cartoon. I just like the story and futuristic western characters.

bravestar_group.gif
    Freakazoid!
    FreakazoidPose.jpg

Gargoyles

GARGOYLES_3_Cover_Colors_by_bonegoddess.jpg

Batman Beyond

batmanbeyondii0.jpg
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 249
    Gravity Falls is quickly climbing my list of favorite cartoons, and that one hasn't even completed its first season! Other than that, probably Batman TAS.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES/THE NEW BATMAN ADVENTURES!

A show so brave it showed bullets being shot from guns, blood and bruises, death scenes and later on in the New Batman Adventures Batman gets shot a few times. You had storylines that were gritty and dark, fitting Gotham's setting. The villains were terrifying and you truly felt Gotham needed to be saved. Batman was an anti gun man and understood that if he used guns he would be just like Chill, the man who killed his parents. The writing led by Paul Dini was spectacular, and the series has some of the best animated episodes ever, like when the villains get together and play cards or when kids spend an episode sharing what their vision of Batman is. The series never flattened out and was always pure Batman grandeur, a model for all animated shows thereafter.

Some of my other favorite animated shows that made up my childhood where (in no particular order):
    Hey Arnold!
    Rugrats
    Batman Beyond
    Gargoyles
    Johnny Bravo
    Spongebob
    CatDog

• I loved Batman The Animated Series.
    Batman animated series, recently bought them on dvd, these animated episodes are better than most movies.

As a kid loved Thundercats, the new version is pretty decent.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Family Guy, South Park and American Dad. Used to watch the Ninja Turtles when I was a kid but that's about it cartoon wise.

When I was a kid I was more intrested in Captain Scarlet and the kung fu films my dad owned. I also vaguley remember watching Doctor Who once or twice but I didn't really like that much if I remember right (I like the rebooted series though).
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,333
    As a grown up it has to be between Family Guy and American Dad.

As a kid it would be Marine Boy; Fred Quimby's Tom & Jerry; Wacky Races: The Banana Splits; Scooby-Doo; The Secret Squirrel Show; The Flintstones; The "rinky dink" Pink Panther.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,812
    Wow lets see if I can remember all of them...

Batman the Animated Series
    Batman Beyond
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Spider-Man (1990's)
    Scooby-Doo
    A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
    Jackie Chan Adventures
    Johnny Bravo
    Dexter's Labratory
    Power Puff Girls
    The Flintstones
    Tom & Jerry
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My favourite cartoon series:

* as a really young kid in the 80s

- Transformers

- G.I. Joe

- Rambo: The Force Of Freedom

- The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin

* as a teenager in the 90s

- James Bond Jr

- Captain Planet and the Planeteers

* and still as an adult

- The Simpsons

- Futurama

and LOADS of japanimation, including

- Neon Genesis Evangelion
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Ghost In The Shell: SAC & 2ndGIG
    - Noir
    - Wolf's Rain
    - Witch Hunter Robin
    - The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,494
    For me, the 60's classics (like Bond) are my faves. The Flintstones, the Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Wacky Races, animated superheroes, lots of good stuff. Also the Loony Tunes classics cannot be forgotten.

First two seasons of South Park were good, of course the Simpsons and who can forget those lovable lunkheads Beavis And Butthead?

Since my kids were born, I'd go with Spongebob and Phineas and Ferb with the wacky Dr. Doofenschmirtz doing Bond like battles with Perry. There is one hilarious scene there where Perry is on a table recreating GF. Doof comments he saw this once in a movie but never did see how it turned out. My son and I were rolling on the floor!
    My goodness there are quite a few! But seeing as its only one? It would have to be Tom and Jerry as they made me laugh so much as a kid and they still do! :))
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    James Bond Jr

I hated that myself.

I watched it when I was about 10 (so inbetween LTK and GE) and at that point I was starting to think the series was over so I was glad something Bond related was coming out.

And I ended up with what I thought was a terrible cartoon about Bonds annoying nephew. Jaws could talk and frequently teamed up with Nic Nac, several dead villians were magically alive and worst of all, Dr No was an alien (or at least looked like one, he had green skin!).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Spider-man (MTV), Timm's Superman.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Bruce Timm is a masterful genius.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,575
    The flintstones,looney tunes,spiderman,captain america,wacky races,speed racer, so many more.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bruce Timm is a masterful genius.

No argument at all there.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3
    Batman TAS
    Star Trek TAS
    Adventure Time
    Scooby Doo Where Are You
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,107
    Batman the animated series :
    When I was a kid in the '90s I couldn't wait to get home from school, grab a snack and get ready for Batman: The Animated Series at 4 o'clock. Not only is this an amazing TV show, but one of the best incarnations of Batman ever. This isn't your mommy and daddy's Batman/Super Friends. I have always loved this show and when it came out on DVD I bought every volume and the animated movies it spawned. I love owning these sets and as I write this I'm watching an episode.

While this show was aimed at kids on the surface it was truly written for adults. It deals with many adult themes and situations. Mobsters, murder, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, earning the love and respect of ones friends and family, Bruce Wayne/Batman fighting his inner demons and the need for avenging his parents by fighting all the evil-doers of the world, etc.

While the campy-ness of Adam West's Batman/Super Friends worked perfectly for that show and era, the darkness of this show makes it a masterpiece. Thanks to Tim Burton's Batman this show's dark and sometimes scary themes were accepted by the networks but that is the only thing the two have in common. The action sequences are unbeatable, story lines are fantastic, this is the Dark Knight the way he was meant to be seen. If you are new to the Batman lore than this is a great place to start...here or with Batman Begins.

The voice-acting is immaculate, Kevin Conroy - Batman, Mark Hamill - Joker, Efram Zimblast - Alfred, Bob Hastings - Gordon, and all the others are wonderful as each character, couldn't ask for a better cast. The structuring of every episode was so well executed you couldn't wait to see what would happen in the next minute or by next week's episode. Shirley Walker's scoring is unbelievably perfect for this show, she took Danny Elman's theme and made it her own, while writing a lot more original music for the show.

This show even CREATED one of the most famous and beloved Batman characters ever, Harley Quinn, love and confidant to the Joker.

Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, Kevin Altieri, and Shirley Walker along with every other writer, animator, creator worked together flawlessly to make this an amazing show and it always will be.

There aren't enough good things I could say about this show, so I will just stop here.

I AM VENGEANCE, I AM THE NIGHT, I...AM...BATMAN!

batman.jpg

Batman_BTAS.jpg
    I love the Batman fan club starting here!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, Batman TAS just is that good. I used to love it and I still do.

In the early eighties I'd sit down for the first series of Transformers and the Ninja Turtles. Both series ended for me after a few seasons, astories got wrse and worse, and so did the animations.
    Rugrats i later found very good, beavis and butthead when MTV just got to our shores, and The Animals of Farthing Wood, an excellent series.
    Getting older I started to appriciate the Simpsons, South Park, Futurama and American Dad.

Series that I higly enjoy but wouldn't specially sit down for are those of the likes of Johnny Bravo, Wacky Races, some of the Disney ones and Loony Tunes.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 115
    When I was a child, I used to enjoy Danger Mouse, The Angry Beavers, Inspector Gadget and the Mr. Men cartoons narrated by Arthur Lowe. Nowadays, I'm into the earlier series of Futurama and Family Guy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Jayce and the wheeled warriors
    Brave Starr
    Captain planet
    Silver hawks
    Teenage mutant hero turtles
    Super mario brothers
    Transformers
    Godzilla
    Cupido
    Tarzan (1970s cartoon)
    Scooby doo
    Dennis
    Inspector gadget
    My pet monster
    Top cat
    The jetsons
    Inch high private eye
    Charlie Brown
    Double dragon
    Defenders of the earth
    The raccoons
    James Bond Jr
    Flintstones
    He-man
    Thundercats
    Spider-Man and his amazing friends
    Dexter's lab
    Rugrats
    Johnny Quest
    Johnny bravo
    Ren and stimpy
    Orson and olivia
    Gargoyles
    Ducktales
    Chip n dale rescue rangers
    Batman TAS
    Spider-Man TAS
    Batman beyond
    Spider-man MTV show
    Spectacular spider-man
    Biker mice from mars
    Dragonball z
    ......the list goes on
    I was wondering if anyone here knows more about this: The Simpsons apparently won't make it on DVD or BR any more after S17 and with the exception of S20. I don't like this!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Didn't know anything about that myself, not really a Simpsons fan, but it appear that their reason is 'because the market is dying due to piracy'. As I said, i'm not a Simpsons fan, but with whispers of Doctor Who: The Underwater Menace possibly getting a digital only release, I can understand Simpsons fans frustrations. I'm not into all this digital download/streaming stuff, I would much rather a physical relaase which I could store on my DVD shelves.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    When I was a kid in the '90s I couldn't wait to get home from school, grab a snack and get ready for Batman: The Animated Series at 4 o'clock. Not only is this an amazing TV show, but one of the best incarnations of Batman ever. This isn't your mommy and daddy's Batman/Super Friends. I have always loved this show and when it came out on DVD I bought every volume and the animated movies it spawned. I love owning these sets and as I write this I'm watching an episode.

While this show was aimed at kids on the surface it was truly written for adults. It deals with many adult themes and situations. Mobsters, murder, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, earning the love and respect of ones friends and family, Bruce Wayne/Batman fighting his inner demons and the need for avenging his parents by fighting all the evil-doers of the world, etc.

While the campy-ness of Adam West's Batman/Super Friends worked perfectly for that show and era, the darkness of this show makes it a masterpiece. Thanks to Tim Burton's Batman this show's dark and sometimes scary themes were accepted by the networks but that is the only thing the two have in common. The action sequences are unbeatable, story lines are fantastic, this is the Dark Knight the way he was meant to be seen. If you are new to the Batman lore than this is a great place to start...here or with Batman Begins.

The voice-acting is immaculate, Kevin Conroy - Batman, Mark Hamill - Joker, Efram Zimblast - Alfred, Bob Hastings - Gordon, and all the others are wonderful as each character, couldn't ask for a better cast. The structuring of every episode was so well executed you couldn't wait to see what would happen in the next minute or by next week's episode. Shirley Walker's scoring is unbelievably perfect for this show, she took Danny Elman's theme and made it her own, while writing a lot more original music for the show.

This show even CREATED one of the most famous and beloved Batman characters ever, Harley Quinn, love and confidant to the Joker.

Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, Kevin Altieri, and Shirley Walker along with every other writer, animator, creator worked together flawlessly to make this an amazing show and it always will be.

There aren't enough good things I could say about this show, so I will just stop here.

batman.jpg

Batman_BTAS.jpg

Don't you ever forget the amazing episode known as "Heart of Ice", which created the Mr. Freeze we know today.

My favorite episode of the series, however, has to be "The Clock King". I don't know what it is about that episode, but whenever I put in the DVD (I only own Volume One at this point, but I'm working on getting the rest), I watch "The Clock King".
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Dalton12 wrote: »

batman.jpg

Batman_BTAS.jpg

Don't you ever forget the amazing episode known as "Heart of Ice", which created the Mr. Freeze we know today.

My favorite episode of the series, however, has to be "The Clock King". I don't know what it is about that episode, but whenever I put in the DVD (I only own Volume One at this point, but I'm working on getting the rest), I watch "The Clock King".
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,728
    I always really liked Scooby Doo, Wacky Races and The Flintsones and indeed I used to watch them on BBC 2 every morning before I went to secondary school! Ah, those were the days!
    Didn't know anything about that myself, not really a Simpsons fan, but it appear that their reason is 'because the market is dying due to piracy'. As I said, i'm not a Simpsons fan, but with whispers of Doctor Who: The Underwater Menace possibly getting a digital only release, I can understand Simpsons fans frustrations. I'm not into all this digital download/streaming stuff, I would much rather a physical relaase which I could store on my DVD shelves.

@MajorDSmythe, indeed, I prefer to physically store my collection at home so I can access it without any trouble. So now I'm stuck with an 18 season collection that'll never be completed!?

Oh I'm mad...