Are Gadgets needed to make a great Bond Film ?

2»

Comments

• I think they are needed, but in moderation. They're an ingredient in the Bond formula, without them it's not the same, like moving the gunbarrel to stupid places in the films for equally stupid reasons.

Although I don't think gadgets are always needed (although they should be used unless there's a good reason), I completely agree with you on the gunbarrel.
    I think now they have to be really thought through. But as we have seen recently they are not essential. However they are fun to see being deployed by Bond. :D
    No, they are not essential. Gadgets are a twisted road that were taken at some point. Sure, put them in when the plot requires it, but not for the sake of it. Don't turn them into deus ex machina. Have them malfunction or be useless sometimes. And don't try to create a new one for every movie: some can be reused in different ways.
  • The bottom line is, gadgets would seem obselete from todays perspective. All Bond needs now is a cell phone with some fancy modifications or special functions, it would seem, and anything else goes by the wayside. The days of wolf whistle keyrings and explosive toothpaste are a thing of the past. Maybe it's not something everyone wants to see (now) , but we have to face facts

When was the last time we had a really good gadget filled Bond adventure anyway. Damned if I can remember. That's how far back it goes

Thank ducks for saved draft's also
    In a word: no.
    The bottom line is, gadgets would seem obselete from todays perspective. All Bond needs now is a cell phone with some fancy modifications or special functions, it would seem, and anything else goes by the wayside. The days of wolf whistle keyrings and explosive toothpaste are a thing of the past. Maybe it's not something everyone wants to see (now) , but we have to face facts

When was the last time we had a really good gadget filled Bond adventure anyway. Damned if I can remember. That's how far back it goes

Thank ducks for saved draft's also

Last time? Good question. Little Nellie in YOLT maybe? And I am not a fan of the movie. Problem with gadgets is that you end up having Bond pushing buttons for a whole movie. Not exactly exciting.
  • I never liked the little nellie helicopter. It was just silly above all else

Gadgets do appear to be a bygone age now. Bond just doesn't need them now, in the simplest terms, although I'm all for a re-introduction, but I just don't think it will happen again any time soon
    I don' think they're needed to make a good Bond film but probably sometimes required to make a popular Bond film. It's a good story with memorable developed characters and some nicely executed action on the side that makes a good Bond film.
  • Data_ThiefData_Thief Banned
    No they are not needed. Unless the producers want to turn the Bond franchise into a joke to sell tickets towards a youthful audience, which they've frequently done.

The less gadgets the better, besides we are living in the year 2013. It would be most wise to issue Bond a high-tech smart phone. Besides they can do almost anything these days.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Yeah I agree for the most part. A big part of the audience is the youth generation though which is why I said "popular".

I didn't like how in Skyfall they implied that the DB5 has an ejector seat and showed it's machine guns. This is a reboot too. You can no longer say that Bond got this car from Q.
    I agree Bounine, the DB5 introduction with the gadgets showcased in skyfall really, really turned me off, so much I almost walked out of the theater. I know they did it for the old-school fans of the past, and because it was the 50th anniversary. But at the same time it just felt odd, very childish and out of place and most importantly, so unlike Daniel Craig's Bond.

Just two Bond films ago Daniel Craig was portraying Bond as a ruthless killer in CR strangling a man in a bathroom stall, now just two films away from that gritty introduction I see Daniel Craig's Bond jumping into a machine gun equipped Aston Martin? Am I the only one here who is baffled at the extreme change of Craig's interpretation of Bond from just CR to SF? I feel as if the producers felt pressured into making skyfall a popcorn movie, dedicated to a casual audience ,rather than the purist fanbase that loved CR and somewhat of QoS.

• I thought also, Craig had lost some of his ruthless agression in this years release
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Data_Thief wrote:
    I agree Bounine, the DB5 introduction with the gadgets showcased in skyfall really, really turned me off, so much I almost walked out of the theater. I know they did it for the old-school fans of the past, and because it was the 50th anniversary. But at the same time it just felt odd, very childish and out of place and most importantly, so unlike Daniel Craig's Bond.

Just two Bond films ago Daniel Craig was portraying Bond as a ruthless killer in CR strangling a man in a bathroom stall, now just two films away from that gritty introduction I see Daniel Craig's Bond jumping into a machine gun equipped Aston Martin? Am I the only one here who is baffled at the extreme change of Craig's interpretation of Bond from just CR to SF? I feel as if the producers felt pressured into making skyfall a popcorn movie, dedicated to a casual audience ,rather than the purist fanbase that loved CR and somewhat of QoS.

Oh please.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Data_Thief wrote:
    It would be most wise to issue Bond a high-tech smart phone.

Hmm, @TouchMyButtons kept going on about that (giving Bond a smartphone instead of gadgets). Looking at your posts you seem to share his opinion of SF too.

If you are him, piss off, we don't want you here.

If you're not him then I'm sorry, welcome to the forums.
    Data_Thief wrote:

Hmm, @TouchMyButtons kept going on about that (giving Bond a smartphone instead of gadgets). Looking at your posts you seem to share his opinion of SF too.

I'm a bit confused ? Can you please explain who exactly you are talking about ?
    Anyone who consider gadgets as a game-breaker when it comes to a Bond film can go enjoy the first 20 films, and kindly leave the quality work Eon has in store for us to those who understand who and what Bond is.
    I am not sure if the Astin Martin was necessary in Skyfall, however I have to say, I really enjoyed to see it again, however gratuitious it may have been. Of all the Bond cars, it is by far the best and it remains the most believable and the only gadgeted car I wouldn't mind seeing again.
    Data_Thief wrote:

are you kidding me without the humour and the gadgets Skyfall wouldnt have been special...its part of The Bond films DNA (The Gadgets and humour) could you imagine that without them in The 50th Annavisary tons of fans would be pissed off completely

and also you know that CR was set in the beginning (as Bond was a Thug Rookie) and with Skyfall its during the middle of his career (he is a vetran)

as a Popcorn film as you described it just made over 1 Billion dollars at the box office
    it was a film for everyone to enjoy they shouldnt just cater to the "purist"

• Data_Thief wrote:
    Data_Thief wrote:

I'm a bit confused ? Can you please explain who exactly you are talking about ?

An extremely annoying member who made multiple accounts who shared the same opinions as you.