Brutal Bond - MI6 Article Series

Comments

RogueAgent wrote:
    The killing of Sanchez by Tim's Bond is one of the best! Brilliantly acted out by both actors!

Pretty cold blooded as well but i love that Bond is beaten and bloody
    which makes it even more awesome that he lights Sanchez up. Damn Dalton was good in that film only him and Craig make me feel Bond is actually human being
    which makes you feelfor him when he does get hurt.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond has barely ever been worse for wear in a film as he is in LTK. He is messed up six ways from Sunday.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Very far from the superman Bond in some films. I loved it.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Very far from the superman Bond in some films. I loved it.

I never liked that after a massive fight (especially during Moore and Brosnan era's) they never had been beaten or shot after a massive battle or fight. Bond should never be a damn superhero but a man who's great at his job who gets battered and bloody but wins out in the end.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Just going slightly off topic, what does everyone think about Dario's demise just a little earlier in the movie? I remember watching the old VHS edition and as far as I recall it didn't show very much. The DVD version must have reinstated some footage.

That scene and the 'Sanchez in flames' scene bookend the tanker chase very nicely.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Okay, back to LTK ... is this anything we can add about this killing? Are we agreed that it was not just how he died, but the fantastic acting by both Davi and Dalton that generated the realism and brutality of this scene?

Oh - Dario's demise was satisfying; was it changed in another version? You are right, the version I saw didn't show much really.
    Okay, back to LTK ... is this anything we can add about this killing? Are we agreed that it was not just how he died, but the fantastic acting by both Davi and Dalton that generated the realism and brutality of this scene?

Oh - Dairo's demise was satisfying; was it changed in another version? You are right, the version I saw didn't show much really.

Oh without a doubt Davi and Dalton really make LTK a really great Bond film even with its flaws espcially in the end scenes ( Sachez look of disgust in his face that Bond would betray him) . Its a Pretty bleak film if you take out the acting from the Bond girls (who are awful) and got in a Director of Sam Mendes or Martin campbell stardard and an actress of Eve Green standard you could have had a classic spy thriller. it would have made a great Craig Bond film for his last effort.

I agree that the end scene of LTK is quite brutal. However,my favourite cold blooded Bond moment is from Dr.No where 007 casually shoots Professor Dent numerous times with the line 'That's a Smith & Wesson and you've had your six'. I look forward to more discussions on this topic.
  • I'm trying to think of each Bond's most brutal death-- kind of hard since they each had some great ones

Connery: as mentioned above, shooting Dent. It was the extra shot in the back that sealed it

Lazenby:Off the top of my head, I'm leaning towards the 'he had lots of guts' guy. But then again, that was his own fault.... so I will go with Bond slowly choking the man in the snow during his escape from Piz Gloria

Moore: Although on film the effect is horribly dated and stupid looking, swallowing the air capsule and BLOWING UP is damn brutal when you think about it. I mean can you imagine how that must have felt?? In the 2 seconds before you were dead, that is, lol

Dalton: Can't think of a better one than setting Sanchez on fire- a painful way to go to be sure

Brosnan: Terrible movie but Graves' death was pretty brutal-- as if falling from a plane wasn't enough, lets shred him to bits in the turbine first!

Craig: Has to be QOS when Slate tried to hold his leg with the bleeding artery (or was it his neck?), and Bond twisted his his arm away and waited for him to bleed to death! The look on Slate's face as he turned white and died was haunting! I look like that when I donate blood, lol
    I'll like to take part in this.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    I'm trying to think of each Bond's most brutal death-- kind of hard since they each had some great ones

Connery: as mentioned above, shooting Dent. It was the extra shot in the back that sealed it

Lazenby:Off the top of my head, I'm leaning towards the 'he had lots of guts' guy. But then again, that was his own fault.... so I will go with Bond slowly choking the man in the snow during his escape from Piz Gloria

Moore: Although on film the effect is horribly dated and stupid looking, swallowing the air capsule and BLOWING UP is damn brutal when you think about it. I mean can you imagine how that must have felt?? In the 2 seconds before you were dead, that is, lol

Dalton: Can't think of a better one than setting Sanchez on fire- a painful way to go to be sure

Brosnan: Terrible movie but Graves' death was pretty brutal-- as if falling from a plane wasn't enough, lets shred him to bits in the turbine first!

Craig: Has to be QOS when Slate tried to hold his leg with the bleeding artery (or was it his neck?), and Bond twisted his his arm away and waited for him to bleed to death! The look on Slate's face as he turned white and died was haunting! I look like that when I donate blood, lol

I think Brosnan's Bond killing Elektra King in cold blood was just brutal and heartless more then Graves' death.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    mdo007 wrote:
    I'm trying to think of each Bond's most brutal death-- kind of hard since they each had some great ones

I think Brosnan's Bond killing Elektra King in cold blood was just brutal and heartless more then Graves' death.
    It COULD have, but wasn't. As with most things in the Brosnan era, a great idea arises and then is completely dropped and the characters act like nothing ever happened.
    Bond killing Sanchez is the best death in a Bond movie ever!
    Bond Killing Sanchez was a great death probarly the best

Brosnan had 1 Cold Brutal Moment and that was holding Elliot Carver as The Sea-Vac came closer and minced him
  • Sanchez is the most brutal and cold or should I say warm?
  • I think Trevelayn was Brosnans most brutal kill.

"No.... For me" *drops him off the satellite*
  • The filmmakers and actors did a great job in making the audience believe the depth of the friendship between Leiter and Bond. Without that, the arc of Bond's decent into revenge wouldn't have had the punch that it did. I love the bit where Bond clearly decides his loyalty to Leiter at the Hemingway House, when M suspends him and revokes his licence to kill. Great stuff by Dalton, which made the ending all that more satisfying. Perfectly played by Davi and Dalton. Revenge is best served cold, but in this case, hot! :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Brutal Bond - Shooting Dent

So what do we think?
    That part about coming up with a new way of Dent trying to shoot Bond again and that's the reason why Bond kills him reminds me of the "Greedo/Han shot first" gag. Thank goodness we don't have that to deal with.

This killing is what made Bond whole. Throughout Dr. No we saw Bond gamble, seduce beautiful girls, handle himself in a fight, and enjoy the finer things in life. But with this kill, it made Bond who we know. A man who must kill for his country if he wants to or not. A very effective scene. Not as "brutal" as blowing up Sanchez but a great scene nevertheless.
    Though brutal in nature the killing of Sanchez was not as cold blooded. The man held a machete and he was going to make Bond into minchmeat. This falls more in the "justifiable homicide" realm.

Now Dent, Elektra King and Elliott Carver were cold blooded murders.
  • What is the signicnace of the "Thats a smith and wesson and you're had your six" line. I know its a damn cool line, but what does it reference? Is it something to do with old duelling rules or just Bond reminding Dent that his gun only houses 6 shots and he's used them up.
    Also my memory is running dry in the final film that you can buy today how many shots does Bond fire?
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Now Dent, Elektra King and Elliott Carver were cold blooded murders.
    And Kaufman.
    But I prefer to think of them as 'field executions' or 'terminations with extreme prejudice'.

What is the signicnace of the "Thats a smith and wesson and you're had your six" line. I know its a damn cool line, but what does it reference? Is it something to do with old duelling rules or just Bond reminding Dent that his gun only houses 6 shots and he's used them up.
    Also my memory is running dry in the final film that you can buy today how many shots does Bond fire?

Bond writers may be decent but they seem to not know diddly squat about firearms.
    I thought Dent had a semi automatic and those things (at the time) held 7 in the clip.
    Also the scene in LALD where Rosie draws down on Quarrel with a large caliber revolver...he says to her "You might have killed me if you had the safety catch off". Revolvers do not have "safety catches". Duh..

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    They're both quite brutal. I think the LTK one is light years away from the DN because it's so much more painful...
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,407
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    What is the signicnace of the "Thats a smith and wesson and you're had your six" line. I know its a damn cool line, but what does it reference? Is it something to do with old duelling rules or just Bond reminding Dent that his gun only houses 6 shots and he's used them up.

Bond writers may be decent but they seem to not know diddly squat about firearms.
    I thought Dent had a semi automatic and those things (at the time) held 7 in the clip.
    Also the scene in LALD where Rosie draws down on Quarrel with a large caliber revolver...he says to her "You might have killed me if you had the safety catch off". Revolvers do not have "safety catches". Duh..

Thank you for somebody else catching that. It's not the writers, I boil it down to the respective directors of the film. Same goes for Octopussy when Bond says he "misplaced his PPK" when he had a P5 in the film
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    Did anyone else ever wonder how past villian deaths would have been like if they had LTK's violence level? Oddjob would probably have been foaming at the mouth or bit his tounge off during his electrokution
    jka12002 wrote:
    Did anyone else ever wonder how past villian deaths would have been like if they had LTK's violence level? Oddjob would probably have been foaming at the mouth or bit his tounge off during his electrokution
    Kananga would have had "lots of guts".... :))
    @Chrisisall
    At the risk of sounding morbid, Kananga would not have blown up like a circus balloon and shot out of the water like that, If he had Bond and Solitaire would have been covered in blood and "guts".
    Odds are he would have burst open in the pool, and the shark would finish off his bloody corspe....
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    @Chrisisall

Odds are he would have burst open in the pool, and the shark would finish off his bloody corspe....
    Now THAT would have worked for ME!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Brutal Bond - Kicking Locque's Car

So what do we think?