SKYFALL ost appreciation thread

edited January 2013 in Skyfall Posts: 822
I noticed that Newman's score is not liked by many, but I enjoy it. It has a unique style, and fits the movie very well, imo. Anyone else think that?

Comments

Me. :) It even works great on its own, and I've been listening to it a lot during the past few weeks. In fact, I have it on right now... :P
    I think it's best during the action, especially the PTS on top of the train, and the inquiry scene. I find it improves the scenes in that case. I'll also assume Newman has something to do with the vast amount of Bond theme this time around, which I applaud him for.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    "She's Mine" is the best cue on the album. Extremely good. I wish the rest had been this good, but this cue alone makes the album worth it for me.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Although I was expecting a lot more from Newman I like the soundtrack a lot, it has a very distinctive feel to it. I think it works both in the context of the film as well as a stand-alone work. A lot of people bash on Arnold but I always defended him, now people bash on Newman and want Arnold back. I like Arnold's work but if Newman were to return in the future I would have no problems with that.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It has grown on me and I think it might well be the best non Barry or Arnold score. I certainly wouldnt be devastated if he got another crack at it.

But is it oscar worthy? Well if YOLT, OHMSS, MR and CR arent then no it isnt.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I like it. When i first heard it i thought it was quite " meh ". But after i've seen the film and i saw the context of the music it started to grow on me. It isn't near as good as Arnolds two last but it is certainly top 10 material!
    MrBond wrote:
    I like it. When i first heard it i thought it was quite " meh ". But after i've seen the film and i saw the context of the music it started to grow on me. It isn't near as good as Arnolds two last but it is certainly top 10 material!

Top 10! I don't know about that, which of Barry's 10 would you replace it with?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

Top 10! I don't know about that, which of Barry's 10 would you replace it with?

Well on my 11th place i have Goldfinger.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    It has grown on me and I think it might well be the best non Barry or Arnold score. I certainly wouldnt be devastated if he got another crack at it.

Add TLD to the list (my favourite Bond score) and I completely agree.

But I think LALD has a better score than SF and LTK stands a good chance too, so I'm not sure about it being the best non Barry/Arnold score.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I liked it. It worked well enough within the film and I'd love to see what Newman would do with a second go. I'm sure he'd improve somewhat.

Well, it's not competing against them, is it, but against the other scores nominated this year. I haven't heard any of the competition it has, so I can't say how it compares to the other nominees, all I know is I like it a lot myself.

• For me 'Skyfall' is easily the best Bond score since 'The Living Daylights'. Hopefully Newman will be invited back for another go. I listen to it often and always enjoy it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    For me 'Skyfall' is easily the best Bond score since 'The Living Daylights'. Hopefully Newman will be invited back for another go. I listen to it often and always enjoy it.

This, except since AVTAK.

Newman's score is pretty brilliant. I appreciate it immensely.
    Skyfall is in my humble opinion easily the best ost in quite some time, especially pre-reboot 007 Arnold style.

With an oscar nomination in his pocket I would hope that EON recognises that there are folks out there that can easily top DA's recent work and should be considered.

If it wins an Oscar I would be happy for the franchise and terribly sad for the lack of acknowledgement of John Barry his work on the franchise. He should have won an oscar for any of his 007 soundtracks especially OHMSS.
  • I think Newman only got nominated (and could win) just because he's Newman.

Good for the franchise but I don't think his score deserves it and I think it's sad that Barry never got an Oscar nomination but Newmans (imo) bland, flat, generic and underwhelming score did.

There are some nice cues and the odd track is pretty good but overall I was disappointed by the SF soundtrack.

I don't think being a member on this site helped either. Everybody was banging on about how crap Arnold was and how great Newman would be but I don't think Newmans score is better than any of Arnolds except DAD.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,261
    I don't think being a member on this site helped either. Everybody was banging on about how crap Arnold was and how great Newman would be but I don't think Newmans score is better than any of Arnolds except DAD.

I find it still amusing, that people were going like "whooo, finally Arnold is out, now we will get a decent soundtrack", and now, they say, they like Newman's work, but were more impressed by Arnold's two previous scores... ;) :-h
  • I don't think being a member on this site helped either. Everybody was banging on about how crap Arnold was and how great Newman would be but I don't think Newmans score is better than any of Arnolds except DAD.

I find it still amusing, that people were going like "whooo, finally Arnold is out, now we will get a decent soundtrack", and now, they say, they like Newman's work, but were more impressed by Arnold's two previous scores... ;) :-h

I think Arnolds best score was QOS. TWINE or TND a close second, and I liked CRs too.

I don't understand why Arnold gets bashed so much on here.
  • I don't think being a member on this site helped either. Everybody was banging on about how crap Arnold was and how great Newman would be but I don't think Newmans score is better than any of Arnolds except DAD.

I think Arnolds best score was QOS. TWINE or TND a close second, and I liked CRs too.

I don't understand why Arnold gets bashed so much on here.

I agree that Newman got nominated because he's Newman, the whole family are Academy darlings. Craig and Mendes not getting nominated is a joke, but then that's usually the Academy for you.

I have no problem with either Arnold or Newman doing the next soundtrack, as I've said before. I can understand people being down on Arnold's action tracks, but feel he improved that aspect quite a bit in QOS. That and TND are excellent, and very Bondian sounding. He definitely gets more abuse than he should, and Serra not nearly enough :)

• I think the GE score fits well enough with the film, but it's definetly the worst score of the series and I think on it's own it sounds awful.
  • I think that one of the issues that people have with Newman's score, and I agreed at first, is that it just doesn't sound "Bond-y".

That was a huge disappointment when I saw SF on opening night. I always complained that except for CR, Arnold never used one or two main themes to base a whole soundtrack on (especially the title song) the way that Barry did. And then Newman did the same thing - or didn't do it - AND the music didn't have the cliche Bond sound.

But when I saw SF the second time I appreciated the music much more. I still wouldn't put it as a great Bond OST, but it fits with the film and doesn't overwhelm it. It also has some very interesting and very unusual cues that I liked. I certainly would complain if Newman came back again, it would be interesting to see if he modifies his approach.
    Well, it didn't get an Oscar nomination for no reason.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, it didn't get an Oscar nomination for no reason.

Oscars aren't guarantees of quality. I am not aiming that at Newman though. I rather like the score.
  • Well, it didn't get an Oscar nomination for no reason.

I didn't say there wasn't a reason. I said the reason was that it was composed by Thomas Newman :P

Ok to be fair, this is an appreciation thread and I've said all the good things I have to say about the score, so I'll leave you lot to it.