DALLAS - Any fans of the "Dallas" TV series still out there?

edited January 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,107
Any fans here of the Cult Classic Series Dallas.

Comments

• Yes, I'm a fan back...in the 80's on a school night I'd be watching 8pm on BBC1 . Thought the new series was great, It's going to miss Larry bigtime but all kudos to Patrick Duffy who I'm sure will keep the Ewing flame burning.
    im a fan. Besides Lois Chiles and Barbara Carrera was there any other bond related people on the show
    I watched a few seasons of the classic show but I am into the new series. Looking forward to the second season.
    I am actually re-watching the original series at present on CBS drama. Up to series 10 now. Fantastic series. Sad to hear the great Larry Hagman pass away recently. JR Ewing is an all time classic TV villain.
    To anwer Oddjob's question, Kristina Wayborn from Octopussy appeared in 1 episode as eye candy for Bobby Ewing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wonder how they will have JR die?
    I wonder how they will have JR die?

It's not going to be the same without him such a legendary character.
  • AliAli
    I watched it as a kid at the beginning and really enjoyed, to my surprise, the recent series but I can't see it survive without Larry. He was brilliant!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,107
    Ali wrote:
    I watched it as a kid at the beginning and really enjoyed, to my surprise, the recent series but I can't see it survive without Larry. He was brilliant!

Agreed Hagman created one of television's iconic villains with J.R. Ewing of Dallas.

JR_Ewing.jpg
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 71
    Dallas is the greatest TV series of all time - sure it's a guilty pleasure, escapist fantasy but extremely well done.
    There's something - and someone - in it for everyone:- big business wheeling and dealing, bar-room brawls, love affairs, all the other Soap Opera staples - but with an unlimited expense account.

Strong male characters - Bobby, Ray, Jock, Clayton;

Strong female characters - Miss Ellie, Pam, Donna;

The most lovable villain ever created - JR Ewing, superbly played by Larry Hagman and then there's Sue Ellen, the equally superb Linda Gray, who is in a category all of her own.

At its mid-80s peak the most gorgeous women on the planet - and they're not made of plastic either.

Up until the infamous dream season - and thats 8 years into the show's run - even the slightly silly elements are kept within bounds and is part of its charm ( ie. the poison dwarf, only having one phone and one servant in the early series etc).

And of course, there's THAT theme music/opening credits!

And the new series is also good .

larry-hagman-jr-ewing-620x861.jpeg
    J.R. Ewing the best character on Dallas.
    JR-Ewing.jpg?q=100

1297343559296_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x&stmp=1353772521959
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,107
    :D this is starting to be J.R. thread.

1507641-img-dallas-serial-v2.jpg
    Interestingly, i have just finished the legendary season 3 of dallas this week.

Jock was the only one to keep jr in check.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Interestingly, i have just finished the legendary season 3 of dallas this week.

Jock was the only one to keep jr in check.
    You got that right .

Jeremy Wendell sux :D
    I remember it well! JR has to be the best tv villain that everyone wanted to be!
  • The one thing I associate with Dallas, above all else, is the assassination of one of our presidents from years back, but I did watch the series every now and again. Worth at least a mention to the late Larry Hagman who we lost at the end of last year, and of course the legendary "who shot J.R. storyline". Plus it had Victoria Principal just for good measure. I was more of a viewer on the earlier days, but after a while, lost interest for the most part, but did still continue to see episodes here and there

I've had enough for one night

Goodnight
    Season 2 started last night.

JR, Sue Ellen and Bobby were their usual excellent selves and the young crowd are ok except the lass who plays Elena. Blank as can be.

Weststar Oil got a mention. woo hoo.
  • I've seen all 357 episodes of Dallas twice... all 344 episodes of Knots Landing, as well. Yea, I'm that good.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    actonsteve wrote:
    Season 2 started last night.

JR, Sue Ellen and Bobby were their usual excellent selves and the young crowd are ok except the lass who plays Elena. Blank as can be.

Weststar Oil got a mention. woo hoo.

Quite agree with all of the above. Whilst the camera work/editing is pretty slick in this revamped version. I can't help but feel the Season 2 premiere was a bit of a damp squib.

I hope this is ramping up for some euphoric showdown that is handled appropriately, As for last night the script was a pure regurgitation of all the episodes ever written rolled into one. (mock shock horror) :-)

Season One was a great reboot/refresher...Come on Cynthia Cidre else I will turn to my Stella Artois Cidre instead and to hell with it!

I am into the new series. Enjoyed the first season and was looking forward to the premiere.
    I wonder about Rebecca. She seemed so in love with Christopher for most of last season and now she seems to be just a conniving hateful vengeful woman. She is still cute as hell though.

John Ross is lower than a snakes belly but I like him.

I think maybe Annie had some mental health issues which may be why Harris and his kin took the infant from her. To be continued....

That guy at Barnes Global is jealous of the crown princess, Rebecca...I would not trust him. He feels tha this benefactor Cliff Barnes is planning on giving the keys to the kingdom to his daughter, Rebecca.

Have to wait and see...
    Your thoughts??
    OHMSS69 wrote:

John Ross is lower than a snakes belly but I like him.

Josh henderson is good enough to carry the villainy once we lose larry.
    Did you happen to catch last night's episode of Dallas?
    the plot thickens but I am a little confused.
    Rebecca seems to have done such a turnaround from last season and I am confused as to where the hell it came from? Like out of left field and all. she seems so out of character from her role last season...

And WTF is up with Annie? THAT WAS SO OUT OF CHARACTER LAST NIGHT. What is going to happen next week? I never watch previews following the episode. I like to be surprised. Its just me.

Anyway, I'm not sure I can handle these chameleon changes to character.
    Special Dallas Opening In Memoriam Larry Hagman
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I saw the newest episode where they did away with JR, and I must say: it was amazing. Though this moment is sad, it is going to set up some darn good TV. RIP Larry. The show was a fitting tribute to a TV legend.

35 yrs ago today.......