Rumour: Great Wall of China motorcycle chase to feature in Bond 23

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I mean for all we know The Great wall motor cycle sequences is the pre title sequence (tracking down one of the people at the opera house in Quantum of Solace i can't remember his name He was the one who owned most of the mines in Siberia I think You all know who I'm talking about) then after he is killed mission proper starts after the pre title sequence we get London (for briefing) then South Africa and India.
    Terrible, terrible idea, sorry. Bond travels for the first time in China, and you only use this location for a 5-minutes long PTS ?? I'm sorry but that is a total disaster. If I may suggest something... Put India as the PTS (already seen in OP), then London briefing, a big sequence in S.Africa (about 50 minutes) and the final part in China (1 hour long). Sorry Risico007 but I don't want to see a new country in the franchise wasted in a 5 minutes long PTS.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I mean for all we know The Great wall motor cycle sequences is the pre title sequence (tracking down one of the people at the opera house in Quantum of Solace i can't remember his name He was the one who owned most of the mines in Siberia I think You all know who I'm talking about) then after he is killed mission proper starts after the pre title sequence we get London (for briefing) then South Africa and India.
    Terrible, terrible idea, sorry. Bond travels for the first time in China, and you only use this location for a 5-minutes long PTS ?? I'm sorry but that is a total disaster. If I may suggest something... Put India as the PTS (already seen in OP), then London briefing, a big sequence in S.Africa (about 50 minutes) and the final part in China (1 hour long). Sorry Risico007 but I don't want to see a new country in the franchise wasted in a 5 minutes long PTS.

Relax.

Nothing that we know suggests China will be used for the PTS, if at all. India is the only location partly confirmed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Nothing that we know suggests China will be used for the PTS, if at all. India is the only location partly confirmed.
    Relax.

I didn't say it WILL be used for the PTS... I just answered to Risico007's idea...

edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Relax.

I didn't say it WILL be used for the PTS... I just answered to Risico007's idea...

It came off more like a rant to me. You may not have meant it but it seemed like you were voicing opinion and bringing up your (same) points again. We get it and I understand how you feel about the use of locations, I even agree with you.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    India is the only location partly confirmed.
    What about Africa? Wasn't it somewhat confirmed that Mendes is shooting something there?

India is the only location partly confirmed.
    What about Africa? Wasn't it somewhat confirmed that Mendes is shooting something there?

Just location scouting I believe. No actual news on a planned shoot of permission to film there.
    Very well.

Anyway, the Great Wall was seen in Tomb Raider 2 and, if I'm not mistaken, the most recent Karate Kid. Not sure Bond will want to reference those. ;;)
    Very well.

Anyway, the Great Wall was seen in Tomb Raider 2 and, if I'm not mistaken, the most recent Karate Kid. Not sure Bond will want to reference those. ;;)
    Tomb Raider was faked though and shot in Wales.;-)

In any case, this could all just be a rumour as it doesn't fit with anything we know so far apart from being a dropped idea from another Bond film.
    Sounds good to me.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,311
    The more I think about the Great Wall thing, the less I like it. It really would have fitted better with the Brosnan era, but Craig's Bond is the type that improvises and does not give the impression as if he actively takes in the scenery, rather he just gets his things done, no matter where he is.
    This is reflected in the scenes that worked best in CR: the construction site just happened to be there and up it goes onto the cranes, it does not have to be in a glitzy metropolis. If we get Venice, the only nod to its beauty is his grand entrance on board the yacht, but only because Vesper is with him.
    Craig does not need grand scenery, while Brosnan travelled constantly, and Moore seemed to be the tourist who happened to step into a spy thriller while visiting the world's iconic destinations (Eiffel Tower, Golden Gate Bridge, Sugarloaf Mountain in Rio, etc). Craig works best when the places he visits are interesting but not too well known as tourist attractions. Let him do business in South Africa, send him to Sydney or Berlin, but please no Indian temples, forbidden cities or great walls!
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,686
    @zebrafish That would make me hate his tenure even more (if that was even possible)... Bond is about visiting exotic, glamourous places... and it is desperatly needed in B23 after the nonsense of QOS. I don't want the franchise to give up on EVERYTHING that is Bond. They already stripped way too much of the traditional elements, now you also want to also take away the exotic locations ? Don't bother making more outings, as they aren't Bond films anymore... I really hope this destroying of Bond stops, and B23 will be the return of proper and real Bond films. EON are stripping so much away from Bond, and you want even more ?? I sometimes wonder if some members here even like the Moore, Dalton, Lazenby or Connery outings at all... Craig needs a proper outing PLEASE. If B23 is like QOS, I will no longer regard Craig as Bond. His successor will be Bond #6, and Craig's character in CR and QOS will be some unknown action star... I will not even count CR and QOS as Bond movies if the franchise continues in the same direction.
    @Zebrafish I believe it all boils down to whether they can blend Craig in with the scenery in a convincing manner or not. I honestly don't mind something slightly more exotic, in fact right now I crave it more than ever before. Craig's entitled to his own TB , I think. I only hope that a talented screenwriter, along with the rest of the crew, can make it work without Quantum Of Solace'ing it out to where it becomes frighteningly obvious that locations are used for the sake of going 'somewhere' rather than serving the purpose of the plot.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    For what it is worth, Craig feels the same way... he wants more of the traditional elements back, and wants to have a little more fun in the role - he's said it on numerous occasions ... but will EON follow through? We'll see
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 289
    The Great Wall would be a great PTS running from or trailing a Q hitman after they have killed the rouge Q agent that was about to turn over vital information....

then you have the main story where that a year or two later the plan that agent was going to tell about comes online....
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    While it would be an interesting PTS.. I do agree with DaltonCraig, a country making its debut into the franchise should not be delgated to only the PTS - that would just be criminal...

Besides, early rumors suggest that the PTS will involve a chase in India - since Bond has already been there, it makes more sense
    For what it is worth, Craig feels the same way... he wants more of the traditional elements back, and wants to have a little more fun in the role - he's said it on numerous occasions ... but will EON follow through? We'll see
    EON want to please him and Craig has said as long as he's happy he'll continue (all things considering) to make Bond films. He'll have a lot of input or at least be asking his thoughts about where this next film(s) should go, so I shouldn't worry. We just need the end result to be good.
    Personally I like to see Bond stay in Europe for a large chunk of the movie. I loved CR's locations. I would like to see part of it in Europe and also a more exotic location like China or India. I really didn't like the globetrotting in QoS just because of the length of the movie - not long enough for all of the jumping around from place to place.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    This is a properly rubbish idea. I pray they don't do it. Plus, this was done in Tomb Raider 2 and that was pants.

Why do they insist on doing this sort of thing?
    @doubleonothing....

it's all just speculation and rumor at this point - so who knows what is actual fact and what isn't...

personally - there are other things in China that would make an interesting backdrop for a scene or action sequence... Forbidden City anyone?
    This sounds pretty awesome if you ask me! It's a location that is a worldwide landmark, so everyone will know where it is, and the Wall itself is kind of set up for a chase of this sort. Plus, it hasn't been done yet in Bond movies, so it will be a great thing to see!
    Funny how Bond always has to jet to the tourist sights. Is it because the Baddies are tourists themselves? Ok, here's MI6 pondering where in Paris they might find the villain. Oh, got it! Moneypenny, send 007 to the Eiffel Tower. China, you say? I bet the enemy is walking the Great Wall, quick, dispatch 007 there. Tell Q to have a motorcycle wait for him, because it's a long trip from the next airport and they do allow motorized vehicles on the Wall.
    No, I say: Use the attractions as a backdrop, but avoid them in any action scenes.
    Can they really drive a top of the wall? In China?
    If I remember correctly they CGI'd exact same stunt in Tomb Raider 2.
    No, they don't. I tried to be ironic.
    I figured as much. Maybe they'll (eon and the folks) make China an offer they can't refuse. But meh. Less CGI'y stunts, more real stunts I say.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    If it's a set-piece that's already been seen on-screen - especially if it was in the likes of Tomb Raider 2 - I'd be highly surprised if it made it into a Bond film, let alone one of the near future...
  • I think a few more feathers could be ruffled down the line when BOND 23 makes itself known.
    I think a few more feathers could be ruffled down the line when BOND 23 makes itself known.
    How so @ZorinIndustries? What have you heard...
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 1,894
    So, I was browsing the internet today and I found a great location for a chase: the Azores. It doesn't have to be the Azores in the film, but there's some epic stuff to be found there:

Especially the part at the beginning. It's really remniscent of the old Great Rift Valley stages in the Safari Rally. There's also a volcanic crater on one of the islands, with the road running along the ridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sete_cidades_twin_lakes.JPG
    I am sometimes glad the series isn't run by members of this forum...
    What makes you say that?