Bond and Drink

edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 204
I was watching the opening of Quantum of Solace right after the titles, and I noticed that Bond pours himself a drink right after he delivers Mr. White to M in that underground tunnel complex underneath the Palio in Siena.

What I was wondering is how or why there would be a drink in such an obscure location in the first place? - it's not like it's MI6 headquarters, those must be temporary digs... And is it a normal thing to have alcohol in an office ran by the secret service or in any office for that matter? Same as in the PTS of TWINE when Bond's fingers go fizzy...

and how / why does Bond drink in front of his superiors, especially since he's supposed to be in peak mental state to do his job?

"Ran out of drink where you were did they?" - M, Skyfall.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It was just one drink. Something to shake off the tension from oh, I don't know: A dangerous car chase! It isn't like Bond was taking in bottle after bottle of alcohol. It was a small glass and just a little kick to get his head straight. As for drinking in front of his superiors, they do it to him, so why can't he? No harm in it, and we all know Bond is on the top of his game at all times, and wouldn't risk a level head in the field to get drunk. He is always prepared, even when he can't pass his physical and mental exams. And even then he is still the best 00 M has, so there. :)
  • Hahaha. Fair enough! Just was wondering whether MI6 have drinks in every one of their safehouses, or if Bond had it with him in the back of the Aston or what. Completely inconsequential, but the thought had popped into my head! :D
    my take on the drinking would be the nature of the work they undertake a drink or two probably keeps them sane but you never see them go over bored they never start binge drinking so one or two drinks doe's not effect their judgement. plus there in a business that does not follow the same rules as the normal jobs. And ten times more stress full just think the dark things these agents witness the odd shot of whiskey takes the sting off them nightmares from doing these kind of things. some people may argue that these people should be trained to cope but how would some not trained cope they would need mental heath treatment with in a week. so no amount of training is really enough. And any follower of the bond films would know bond as shared many a drink with the boss.

another thing in GE Alec Travelyan asks bond how many martinis it takes to silence all the screams my guess a lot many people killed. I think sometimes Bond drinks for a reason he must have some deep rooted mental problems that he deals with by taking a odd shot hes should be a complete alky but hes far from it i let him off for his odd drink or two
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I am not sure what the situation was for the Sienna house. I assume Bond and M spoke about tracking down White, Bond went to fetch him and then the interrogation began, so maybe they laid HQ in the building and brought the need supplies along with alcohol. Who knows.
    Well, M would have had a bottle for sure, Bond didn't need to bring his own. ;)
    i think it was M,s whiskey
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 204
    @oorogers - That's a good point regarding the Trevelyan quote. I also remember seem to remember Tanner sipping on a Heineken after hours in Q's lab during the 'breadcrumbs' scene in Skyfall when they were luring Silva to Skyfall Lodge. Also at the beginning Mallory pours some whisky for M aswell during the 'voluntary retirement' scene.

Also good point regarding being a non-standard and stressful job. I guess no one is going to complain if their staff need to take the edge off a bit, especially with the things they must see day-to-day.

I guess I was just trying to avoid seeing MI6 as a 'Sterling-Cooper' type place from Mad Men where they literally seem to pour a drink in every other scene, and there is drink in everyone's office on tap.