The worst costume/wardrobe design in 007 franchise?

Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
edited January 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 2,721
For me it's Gemma Arterton's raincoat in QOS the worst costume. It's like they put it on her for a run through of the lines cos she was cold and then forgot to take it off when the cameras rolled. A close second is Dalton's fishing hat in the LTK deleted scenes.

EDIT: Inspired by the admins I broadened the scope of the initial question so it's not just an opinion on Gemma Arterton's awful raincoat! But the whole franchise.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    It is an awkward ensemble, to be sure. Every time I see QoS it does stick out. But it is far from the worst.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3
    But surely the joke is that she was naked underneath - there are enough hints eg I have nothing to wear etc, but the scene must have been cut for some reason. More great editing in QoS!
    The raincoat is the worst.
    It looks terrible.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bond's safari coat from The Man With The Golden Gun has dated at a much faster rate than this raincoat ever will.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Bond's blue robe from GF is probably the worst. (Sorry, GF. I love you)
    Nothing can beat natalyas threadbare cardigans in ge.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    glenantony wrote:
    But surely the joke is that she was naked underneath - there are enough hints eg I have nothing to wear etc, but the scene must have been cut for some reason. More great editing in QoS!

That's pretty poor form for a member of the secret service to just wear a raincoat and nothing else to apprehend a rogue 00 at the airport. In fact I always thought it was the most ridiculous plan from M to assign her to stop Bond.
  • No, not at all. There were far worse costumes in the series.

Personally, I found the outfit to be awkwardly sexy (sexily awkward?). I remember when the film came out that I noticed that I couldn't see a dress or skirt hem peeking out of the bottom of the raincoat, and wondering if she was wearing anything underneath (if any guy here has ever had a woman show up to meet them like that then they know how sexy it is). I do think that there's a bit more of a story there - the section there is very small, understaffed, and Fields was the only person they could rope in to going in time to meet Bond (or, given her personality, she jumped at the chance to do it because she had the confidence that she could "prove herself" in that situation - her character had the unearned confidence of youth, which made what happened to her more tragic).

I think there was a reason for it, shame it wasn't fleshed out more.
    Connery's all in one towel thing from GF is pretty bad and also the suit Brosan is wearing when be beats up the goons on the yacht in GE, it looks like something from the 70's.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    glenantony wrote:

That's pretty poor form for a member of the secret service to just wear a raincoat and nothing else to apprehend a rogue 00 at the airport. In fact I always thought it was the most ridiculous plan from M to assign her to stop Bond.

Well, she would send Bond maybe, but since he is the one who is gone, she has to settle a lesser quality.
    glenantony wrote:

I agree.

• I didn't like Carvers costume. Just didn't seem to make much sense for a media tycoon to be wearing an evil looking black jumpsuit. Surely he'd wear a suit or something.

Not sure what's the very worst.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    ROBOCOP SUIT
  • I wonder if someone who is of an older vintage could tell us what the audience would have thought of Bond wear the wifebeater and powder blue jean jacket and matching bell bottoms in LALD. Did it look as cool a casual look to them as seeing Craig wear a polo and white pants in CR and QoS does to us? Or did it look more like Connery wearing the terrycloth playsuit in GF? Or something else entirely - too lowbrow and classless (I'd use the phrase white trash but I'm guessing that "white trash" as a saying wasn't around in '73)?
    Connery's blue towel robe-GF

Lazenby's kilt-OHMSS

Connery's pink tie-DAF

Moore's safari coat-TMWTGG

Toby Stephens Robocop suit-DAD (I mean....seriously Lindy Hemming? You are amazing but...wow!)

I never minded Field's raincoat in QOS. But I can see the arguments against it
    Only Sean could make that robe even remotely masculine.
  • PierceuhhhPierceuhhh Banned
    When Puerce and Wai Lin wearing childrens seaside garments and sneakers in TND...With brught primary colours and soft cotton... They look like 5 year olds at a birthday party...

YES Carver looks ridocilois... What a farce...

Lindy hemming was one of the worst costumes to Bond...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I thought Sean was wearing a "romper" style beach set, not a robe in Goldfinger when he so blithely dispatched Ding (or whatever her name was). Looked ridiculous, but I didn't see that one in the theatre but years later. Utterly ridiculous. That one gets my vote for worst one, I think.
    Moore's safari jacket was terrible and didn't he have another bad one in OP?
  • HEY! I'll let you know that my outfit is tailor made by an exquisite tailor from China, this is world class stuff right here!

Saying that, I always cringe when I see Sean's blue kid's outfit in Goldfinger. Just looks so... weird.
    ROBOCOP SUIT
    i agree

I wonder if someone who is of an older vintage could tell us what the audience would have thought of Bond wear the wifebeater and powder blue jean jacket and matching bell bottoms in LALD. Did it look as cool a casual look to them as seeing Craig wear a polo and white pants in CR and QoS does to us? Or did it look more like Connery wearing the terrycloth playsuit in GF? Or something else entirely - too lowbrow and classless (I'd use the phrase white trash but I'm guessing that "white trash" as a saying wasn't around in '73)?

Actually Sean's powder blue outfit was a hit in the States and there was a drive to mass produce it. I think the fact that Sean had the build, the height, the hairy chest..etc..he pulled it off. That's when I believe the Bond movies changed in wardrobe from simple white shirts, black tie and dark suits to adding more color and style. Some hits and some real bad errors. Another brief trend was a short kimono for guys about 3 inches below the family jewels. That was based on a pattern of one being about 6 foot. If you're 6'2", be careful how you sit or you could be winking at everyone.

I wonder if Bond was to wear a logo'ed polo shirt, would it be Ralph Lauren(would hate to see a U. S. brand on him) or is there an upscale similiar shirt sold in the U.K.?

The phrase 'poor white trash' was around in the 1960's in the States and probably before then. And America still celebrates its' less celebral members of our country. A 3 piece suit is a pair of unfastened bib overalls , an oily CAT baseball cap and a soiled red handkerchief hanging off to the side. U. S. tv characters like Honey Boo Boo will never know a 'Downton Abbey'.
  • Only Sean could make that robe even remotely masculine.

No, no, no... no he couldn't. :-&

Other horrible outfits I can think of include:
    -Wai Lin's catsuit (Complete with bellbottoms. Looked straight out of Austin Powers)
    -Tracy's wedding "dress" (As much as I love her, that was just embarrasing.)
    -Eve's outfit in the beginning of Skyfall (Those pants/sneakers... WHY?)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bonds cravat in GE. Perfecty fine for 1955, not so for 1995.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 153
    Robocop Suit, the orange bikini from Halle Berry's "tribute", practically anything George Lazenby wears, especially this:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SziYKIYKhd8/TaKA4TGfjBI/AAAAAAAAAi4/Ae1kdtpEeAI/s400/OHMSS%2BGolf.png
  • FLeiter wrote:
    Actually Sean's powder blue outfit was a hit in the States and there was a drive to mass produce it. I think the fact that Sean had the build, the height, the hairy chest..etc..he pulled it off.

That's very interesting, and also very unexpected. The only thing that I've ever read about the "playsuit" (other than insults and mocking comments) was that it was already several years past its time when GF came out. Apparently they were common in the 50s but by '64 they were already looking dated. Of course, back then what was in style in one part of the world (say, Italy or the French Riviera) was different from, say, Florida.

When my ex and I went to Paris she was really looking forward to finding "new fashion" that was ahead of its time compared to Canada. She was very surprised and disappointed to see that everything was pretty much the same as at home!
    I still think you can see the fashion change in the Bond movies. As the locales changed from Europe and America(GF) to the Bahamas(TB) and Japan(YOLT), Bond wears more casual wear and short sleeve shirts. George reverts back to suits in(OHMSS) and then there's the kilt. I'm always glad to see Bond wearing a tux-it's a requirement.

I hope that Italy and the Riveria continue to be on the cutting edge of fashion. More of my Italian friends wear skin tight shirts and sweaters. I believe the European sizing is a tad smaller than U. S.. A men's size Medium in the U. S. is equivalent to a Large in European sizing. The opposite is true for silverware. A U. S. tablespoon is much smaller than a European tablespoon-strange.

I don't think anyone filled a turtleneck better than Honor Blackman(GF). Very filling in any country.