'Restless' shows how it should be done.

edited December 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 90
The BBC1 mini series 'Restless' starring Charlotte Rampling and Michael Gambon about a World War II woman spy living in fear of her life in the 1970's ,shows how a spy film should be made. There was more tension, mystery, believable action and end of the seat excitement here than in any of the rubbish Bond films of the last 35 years. The series had period atmosphere, tight script, beleivable gun battles and integrity. All aspects missing from many recent Bond sagas. Do you agree?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm a big fan of Rampling, but I have not got around to watching this yet. It's on my Sky+ planner, ready and waiting.
  • RC7RC7
    Jason19 wrote:
    The BBC1 mini series 'Restless' starring Charlotte Rampling and Michael Gambon about a World War II woman spy living in fear of her life in the 1970's ,shows how a spy film should be made. There was more tension, mystery, believable action and end of the seat excitement here than in any of the rubbish Bond films of the last 35 years. The series had period atmosphere, tight script, beleivable gun battles and integrity. All aspects missing from many recent Bond sagas. Do you agree?

I've never considered the Bond films spy films. Only FRWL is remotely believable as a 'spy' film, the rest are outrageous yarns from an alternate reality and I love them.
  • To RC7- You could have a point there RC7 !
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    edited March 2014 Posts: 893
    Reading 'Restless' now and the BBC did a fine version of it. Highly recommend the book; you can tell Boyd was deep in WW2 SIS territory; Cambridge Spy land with nods to Fleming's War time exploits.

a36551c538a4af8ad7af37e934fde2c6.jpg