Bond 24 pre production has started

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Germanlady wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/dec/09/sam-mendes-interview-skyfall-bond
    "It's not true that I've worked out a new plot for Bond. Nor have I made any commitment to another Bond movie. I have said that I've put everything I wanted into this film. The idea I can simply start again makes me feel physically ill. I need to get back to theatre, spend more time at home and then… and then it might be someone else's turn."

Makes sense as Purvis and Wade said Mendes was on board and as they're not, what would they know?! Logan is back and so far, that's all we know. Thanks GL for this clarification.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't believe Mendes for a second. If he lied about
    Eve being Moneypenny
    then he could be bluffing about anything.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't believe it either.

Also, EoN want to announce this news at the time they want to. Theirs going to make a big deal about the whole thing and the biggest give away is, when Mendes said he needs time away and that maybe it's someone else's turn. Really? A world wide critical and financial hit that'll gross over $900million and MAYBE someone else will direct?? Lol nice try.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I think that we don't want to believe it, but it could be true.

I think it's 50/50 on Mendes coming back. I could see him doing another, then again I could see him not doing it.

Even if he doesn't do the next one, he could come back for Bond 25.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It's possible. I think that by this stage, with SF's success, Logan already locked in abd working on the script and with Craig being kept on to do at least 2 more, I think the key thing to note is, Bond 24 being released with or without Mendes in 2014. The way I see it is, a lot will be riding in Logan's script and with him already in place and the gravity of the SF's cast as well as those now being featured as a mainstay, I'm not too worried about who the next director would be.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I totally believe him when he says he wants to return to the stage and doesn't want to direct the next one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he never directs another Bond movie ever again despite his enthusiasm at the press launch of Skyfall.

Also, after the huge success of SF why would Mendes want to compete with himself at trying to better what is already considered by some as the best Bond movie ever? If the next one doesn't do as well then critics and fans will say that he failed to improve upon SF. Why would he want to spoil what he has already achieved? He doesn't need any more accolades than he already has and I'm sure he will leave it at that. I think his next movie challenge will be finding a project that is personal and not aimed at being a BO behemoth.
    It's a double bluff. Sam Mendes will return in...
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,594
    bondsum wrote:
    I totally believe him when he says he wants to return to the stage and doesn't want to direct the next one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he never directs another Bond movie ever again despite his enthusiasm at the press launch of Skyfall.

Also, after the huge success of SF why would Mendes want to compete with himself at trying to better what is already considered by some as the best Bond movie ever? If the next one doesn't do as well then critics and fans will say that he failed to improve upon SF. Why would he want to spoil what he has already achieved? He doesn't need any more accolades than he already has and I'm sure he will leave it at that. I think his next movie challenge will be finding a project that is personal and not aimed at being a BO behemoth.

Yeah, if I was him I'd be thinking this too. If you're a successful director who doesn't need to accept every project that comes your way and are living comfortably, and in Mendes's case, probably more than comfortably, then you have more of a freedom to choose projects that really take your interest. We're not all passionate about Bond.

With a better story than SF (SF is pretty simple in terms of story), an equivalent amount of character movement or more with good actors and more of these Flemingsque scenes I don't see why one couldn't make a better movie than SF. I think SF is a good film but it's not fantastic.

Mendes originally said that he would return for Bond 24 if Skyfall was a hit didn't he? Now that it is a huge success he has other excuses not to return. Valid ones though. I won't be surprised if he doesn't return but I've been wrong before. ;)

• edited December 2012 Posts: 1,370
    Duplicate
    Just throwing out another director Sir Peter Jackson. I mean he almost was asked to do TND but BB didn't like his latest film. Anyway judging by Kong he could handle the firearm action.
    Yeah, Peter Jackson can do drama and action. He'd probably want to film everything in New Zealand though with CGI backgrounds standing in for other countries. ;)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Bounine

And during filming Jackson would split the film in three parts unnessecarily, plus it would be in 48fps 3D.

Hmmmm...

:-?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Mallory wrote:
    @Bounine

And during filming Jackson would split the film in three parts unnessecarily, plus it would be in 48fps 3D.

Hmmmm...

:-?

The 3D is the main problem. Bond doesn't need 3D (neither does Middle-Earth, but Jackson seemed to think it did).
    I saw The Hobbit in 2D and it looked really good. I don't know too much about the technical side. Maybe the 48fps element is irrelevent in 2D. I don't know.

Seriously though, has Jackson ever filmed outside of New Zealand? He always seems to want to film everything in NZ in order to support this country's film industry which is admirable but if he did Bond he'd have to shoot abroad. I do think that he could do a good job on a Bond film in terms of characters, story and action.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It would be cool to have a Bond film at least partly in New Zealand though, but I agree. Jackson may not like having EON tell him to look for other locations as well. Kind of a Nolan situation where the director would have to face new change/challenges when he is usually used to having a lot of creative control.
    Like Nolan he would not care. He is a bond fan and was apparently devistated when he lost TND.
    He also has enough IQ to not touch 3D when it comes to bond.

By the way, all his films have at least been partially shot in NZ. However, all of Lee and Holm's scenes for the hobbit where shot at Pinewood and A majority (i think) of the lovely bones was shot in the US. Also I wouldn't be surprised if there's more, there is next to no sound stages in NZ.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,594
    Partly filmed in NZ would be good. They should take advantage of the beautiful countryside as the cities aren't really anything special to look at. It's the same as in Australia and other countries - mostly modern buildings. It's quite a way for the Eon team to go. Whether they'd want to travel this far out I guess depends on the budget.

Jackson or Nolan lost out on TND?
    Jackson lost out on TND. Nolan wasn't a household name until Momento in the early 2000s.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,856
    Bounine wrote:
    They should take advantage of the beautiful countryside as the cities aren't really anything special to look at.

I Would Beg to Differ, Wellington and Auckland have Amazing Waterfront (wellington also has some bond buildings (i posted them in the location thread), Christchurch's rebuild concepts look amazing and Napier has more Art Deco then LA.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Jackson lost out on TND.

This is news to me. I thought he was in the middle of the LOTR/Hobbit rights business back then (at least that's what the LOTR Extended DVDs make it seem like).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    To be honest I don't think Mendes is coming back at least not for the next one, the reception and financial achievements of SF pretty much guarantee they won't have to go back to the likes of Campbell, Spottiswoode or Donaldson.

Bond 24 will have a an A list director, who that is I don't know but this film will be a game changer in regards to the kind of talent the series will now attract.
    Uh.. Campbell is ultimately partially responsible for Skyfall's success. He's set the tone, and many still consider CR over SF. He can come back anytime.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I thought it was TWINE Jackson lost out on?

Anyway, I think I'd rather have Campbell back than Mendes. I loved SF but I think Campbell is more suited to Bond. He was better with the action scenes for one thing.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Uh.. Campbell is ultimately partially responsible for Skyfall's success. He's set the tone, and many still consider CR over SF. He can come back anytime.

Hear, hear! Maybe Campbell will come back for Craig's last film, to complete the loop.

echo wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Hear, hear! Maybe Campbell will come back for Craig's last film, to complete the loop.

Or the next Bond's first. A trilogy of starting a new Bond out would be fantastic.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I would love to see Campbell return, even though Mendes was a superb director!

But what about Spielberg, wouldn't be right time now to have such a A-list director?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Spielberg is past his prime.
    MrBond wrote:
    I would love to see Campbell return, even though Mendes was a superb director!

But what about Spielberg, wouldn't be right time now to have such a A-list director?
    echo wrote:
    Spielberg is past his prime.

For me it depends; If he manages to channel both his fun (Jurassic, Indiana J) side and his serious (Munich, Saving P. Ryan, etc) side together, it'd be a good time.
  • tqbtqb
    Mendes may return but probably not for b24
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I reckon Spielberg could still do it. Munich, Minority Report, Ryan, etc, were all great, dark films. And Tin Tin and Indiana Jones 4 (which despite everybodys bitching, I don't think was bad at all), were good, fun, popcorn flicks.

I agree with @JWESTBROOK, if he could get a nice balance, we'd have a brilliant Bond film.
    tqb wrote:
    Mendes may return but probably not for b24

That's what I think. My moneys on Danny Boyle for Bond 24.

I'd love Campbell to come back, GE is one of my faves and I like CR, but he's getting maybe too old, and I think he said he wasn't going to do another Bond.